Sone Aluko to China!

233 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sone Aluko to China!

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Dec 2019 18:29

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ Just to cheer everyone up around Christmas, Aluko was part of the Christmas squad photo, available to play from Fulham (A) onwards

I still think he can offer us something but I’d prefer to give Olise a shot

Hold up. What can he offer? I would obviously prefer Olise to be given a shot too but I cant think of a reason to integrate Aluko back in.

We have a plethora of players like him but better.

He can be cover for Swift and Ejaria in case they get injured again, you can see how badly we struggled without those two

Remember he played well for a few games in a more central role under Gomes

But he doesnt offer half the creativity of either. It's like having all the disadvantages of Swift and Ejaria without the advantages. May as well not play anyone. Genuinely think Barrett offers more, out of position, as a CM than Aluko does.

And, as we all agree, Olise should be nailed on for that role. Aluko just blocks a promising players route to more first team action. He couldn't be coming back at a worse time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Dec 2019 18:30

Hound
Zip Isn’t Aluko on a four year deal? So his contract won’t expire until June 2021. Given the wages and transfer fee I think this is the worst signing in our entire history.

Undoubtedly imo

Wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad for me. Would rather pay him off if can’t get rid to someone else

I'm with you there. Leave the squad space free for a younger, hungrier player.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Dec 2019 19:49

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Hold up. What can he offer? I would obviously prefer Olise to be given a shot too but I cant think of a reason to integrate Aluko back in.

We have a plethora of players like him but better.

He can be cover for Swift and Ejaria in case they get injured again, you can see how badly we struggled without those two

But he doesnt offer half the creativity of either. It's like having all the disadvantages of Swift and Ejaria without the advantages. May as well not play anyone. Genuinely think Barrett offers more, out of position, as a CM than Aluko does.

And, as we all agree, Olise should be nailed on for that role. Aluko just blocks a promising players route to more first team action. He couldn't be coming back at a worse time.

Well, no. But neither did the Pele - Rino - McCleary trio

I expect there’s about a 10% chance Aluko will stay and play. But I don’t think it’d be the disaster most are predicting

No one expected Gunter to play a second this season. Obvs different circumstances, but he came in and he’s done relatively well so far

We’ve always had differing views on Aluko too so I had no reason to believe you would agree he should be given a shot. Just as long as he isn’t chucked out wide though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Dec 2019 20:11

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

I expect there’s about a 10% chance Aluko will stay and play. But I don’t think it’d be the disaster most are predicting

No one expected Gunter to play a second this season. Obvs different circumstances, but he came in and he’s done relatively well so far

We’ve always had differing views on Aluko too so I had no reason to believe you would agree he should be given a shot. Just as long as he isn’t chucked out wide though

I'm not trying to be contrary, it just genuinely surprised me that someone thought he could offer something.

Think the Gunter comparison is a bit forced. Im a huge critic of Gunter and even I thought he would be a good back up option. I had thought Watson or Howe should have had a look in ahead of him at the start of the season but Gunter has proved to be a valuable asset.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Dec 2019 21:43

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth But he doesnt offer half the creativity of either. It's like having all the disadvantages of Swift and Ejaria without the advantages. May as well not play anyone. Genuinely think Barrett offers more, out of position, as a CM than Aluko does.

I'm not trying to be contrary, it just genuinely surprised me that someone thought he could offer something.

Think the Gunter comparison is a bit forced. Im a huge critic of Gunter and even I thought he would be a good back up option. I had thought Watson or Howe should have had a look in ahead of him at the start of the season but Gunter has proved to be a valuable asset.

I think most players have something to offer. It’s all about finding what that is and thus playing to their strengths. Without going into the Aluko debate again, I do think he has strengths, he’s got a good eye for a pass and a quick turn of feet. For whatever reasons, he’s failed so far here, but I’m always open to giving players a fresh start

Look at Origi at Liverpool. He was a laughing stock before he went out on loan, and now he’s seen as a reliable decent option. Obviously the chances of Aluko doing that are slim but I wouldn’t write him off yet completely

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Dec 2019 09:12

My only issue with Aluko going to China was that it wasn't as far away as it might have been. I'll rest more easily as and when he arrives in New Zealand.

His arrival at RFC always seemed like a pointless exercise to me. Why didn't Gourlay just despatch one of his underlings with a few sacks of the clubs' money to be emptied into a local drain?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Dec 2019 14:36

Never know he might flourish under new coaching, its not like we are over loaded with wingers is it?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Dec 2019 17:07

windermereROYAL Never know he might flourish under new coaching, its not like we are over loaded with wingers is it?

Except he’s not a winger.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Dec 2019 17:18

It is what it is.

We are paying what we're paying.

Seems ludicrous not to utilise him if Bowen can get the best out of him. If only to be better able to offload him.

You never know he may redeem himself like. Obviously not Kebe levels of redemption but you never know. Worth a shot!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Dec 2019 18:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup It is what it is.

We are paying what we're paying.

Seems ludicrous not to utilise him if Bowen can get the best out of him. If only to be better able to offload him.

You never know he may redeem himself like. Obviously not Kebe levels of redemption but you never know. Worth a shot!

Kebe!?

Kebe had nothing to redeem.

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 25 Dec 2019 18:19

I say play him v Blackpool and see how he plays, if shit get rid

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Dec 2019 18:26

KentRoyal I say play him v Blackpool and see how he plays, if shit get rid

You make it sound so easy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Dec 2019 20:11

KentRoyal I say play him v Blackpool and see how he plays, if shit get rid

Or we could just go straight to get rid and play someone with a future.

233 posts