BFTG Sheffield United

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: BFTG Sheffield United

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Feb 2019 16:12

A 'Manager' that concentrates on team spirit and game tactics >>>>>> A 'coach' who drills players in a single style with no plan B

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Feb 2019 19:04

URZZZZ Let's be honest, Norwood is the best midfielder we've had in a while. He was always the best player up until Christmas and then he would tail off for a few games (this was also the case with United this season). Difference being Wilder stuck with him and he's regained his form whereas Clarke and Mcdermott dropped him in favour of loanees

Andy Rinomhota has shown more consistency in 2 months than Norwood did in the years he was with us.

People reminisce about Williams & Norwood. Remember they played regularly together in a poor side. And no I don’t dislike either player...I liked both of them. They just weren’t that great for us on a regular enough basis

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2019 19:05

John Madejski's Wallet A 'Manager' that concentrates on team spirit and game tactics >>>>>> A 'coach' who drills players in a single style with no plan B

"But if we're going to survive next time we get into the Premier League then we need to play a possession style"

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Feb 2019 19:35

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hound
sandman
That's because, bar a few long range crackers, for the most part he was shit.

Like most of the Sheffield United team he's a bit of a broken toy who has been brought in as a part of a very good team who play some nice football.

Individually they aren't anything special but Wilder has made them a team. Which is more than can be said for our sorry rabble.

+1

+1
Yeah, revisionist nonsense from Mr C there. Norwood was soft

Factoring in the short length, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on here. Largely due to the completely unintended irony.

Norwood wasn't soft. People just accused him of that because he was good at passing and shooting, which of course means he must have been the second coming of Marek Matejovsky. In reality, Norwood has been consistently one of the best defensive midfielders in the league for however many years (including when he was with us). This season his tackles per minute is the 7th best in the league and he's played at least 200 minutes more than any of the players ahead of him. In terms of interceptions he's second among midfielders behind Corry Evans. He wins the ball back 4.2 times a game.

Now worth noting those stats are with a minimum appearance filter on. I'm not sure what that limit is, but if you take it off then Ezatolahi becomes the best player in the league at interceptions. However, none of our players can match Norwood for tackles. Surprisingly the best is Omar Richards!

Norwood: 2.6 tackles per 90
Richards: 2.5
Ezatolahi: 2.3
Meyler: 2.2
Rinomhota: 1.9
Ejaria: 1.6
Kelly: 1.6
Swift: 1.3
Bacuna: 1.2
Baker: 0.7

Reading players might be at a disadvantage due to our possession-based style - but we also used a possession-based style when Norwood was here, and he did even better in the league rankings.

The guy is quality and we only sold him because we were desperate for money and Liam Moore.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2019 20:33

Notts Royal
URZZZZ Let's be honest, Norwood is the best midfielder we've had in a while. He was always the best player up until Christmas and then he would tail off for a few games (this was also the case with United this season). Difference being Wilder stuck with him and he's regained his form whereas Clarke and Mcdermott dropped him in favour of loanees

Andy Rinomhota has shown more consistency in 2 months than Norwood did in the years he was with us.

People reminisce about Williams & Norwood. Remember they played regularly together in a poor side. And no I don’t dislike either player...I liked both of them. They just weren’t that great for us on a regular enough basis

Exactly. Under McD, Norwood and Williams were awful for 6 months. The midfield even then was a huge weak spot

I think everyone is in agreement Norwood has been top class for Sheff U this season. He’s been given a team and a system that he has fitted right into and been excellent. But he really wasn’t with us. And I think he was no more than a useful option for both Fulham and Brighton - he certainly didn’t run the show like he has at sheff U

Fair play to the chap, but very few were too upset about him leaving us when he did If I recall

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2019 22:25

SCIAG
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hound
+1

+1
Yeah, revisionist nonsense from Mr C there. Norwood was soft

Factoring in the short length, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on here. Largely due to the completely unintended irony.

Norwood wasn't soft. People just accused him of that because he was good at passing and shooting, which of course means he must have been the second coming of Marek Matejovsky. In reality, Norwood has been consistently one of the best defensive midfielders in the league for however many years (including when he was with us). This season his tackles per minute is the 7th best in the league and he's played at least 200 minutes more than any of the players ahead of him. In terms of interceptions he's second among midfielders behind Corry Evans. He wins the ball back 4.2 times a game.

Now worth noting those stats are with a minimum appearance filter on. I'm not sure what that limit is, but if you take it off then Ezatolahi becomes the best player in the league at interceptions. However, none of our players can match Norwood for tackles. Surprisingly the best is Omar Richards!

Norwood: 2.6 tackles per 90
Richards: 2.5
Ezatolahi: 2.3
Meyler: 2.2
Rinomhota: 1.9
Ejaria: 1.6
Kelly: 1.6
Swift: 1.3
Bacuna: 1.2
Baker: 0.7

Reading players might be at a disadvantage due to our possession-based style - but we also used a possession-based style when Norwood was here, and he did even better in the league rankings.

The guy is quality and we only sold him because we were desperate for money and Liam Moore.

Yep, and those stats were reflected when he was here. Williams would improve us now, but he didn't work well with Norwood and spent half the time running down blind alleys. Plus we didn't have much in the way of regular quality up front.

Not that any of this matters. He's gone, and he's left us in his dust, while we have piss all decent options available.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Feb 2019 22:27

sandman
John Madejski's Wallet A 'Manager' that concentrates on team spirit and game tactics >>>>>> A 'coach' who drills players in a single style with no plan B

"But if we're going to survive next time we get into the Premier League then we need to play a possession style"

lol one of the most dickish of things you read on this forum :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2019 22:34

John Madejski's Wallet
sandman

lol one of the most dickish of things you read on this forum :lol:

I believe the genuine argument was actually that you need to be able to retain possession in the PL, because teams in the Premier League will have the quality to beat you if you just try to soak up pressure, and they'll make fewer mistakes for you to capitalise on. Because there isn't anything remotely like a level playing field.

Having team spirit and organisation doesn't preclude being able to keep possession and pass through the thirds when appropriate. It's the idea that passing is automatically better or worse that is the problem. It's what you do with it that matters, not whether you pass short or go direct.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Feb 2019 23:48

Its the idea that an average Champ team, currently struggling in the league should be setting themselves up for mid table comfort in the prem. Just make me chuckle at the delusion.

Right up there with "going down will make us stronger"

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 11:55

John Madejski's Wallet Its the idea that an average Champ team, currently struggling in the league should be setting themselves up for mid table comfort in the prem. Just make me chuckle at the delusion.

Could, not will.

Plenty of examples of it happening.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 Feb 2019 11:59

Hound Exactly. Under McD, Norwood and Williams were awful for 6 months. The midfield even then was a huge weak spot

Makes me think of Kelly and Swift - both in the right team with the right players around them could be class - but together and here doesn't work. Williams was shit for 3/4s of his time here - people forget that because his last season was so good. Norwood was trash with a hollywood pass on a weekly basis.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Feb 2019 19:10

Snowflake Royal Williams would improve us now, but he didn't work well with Norwood and spent half the time running down blind alleys. Plus we didn't have much in the way of regular quality up front.

Not that any of this matters. He's gone, and he's left us in his dust, while we have piss all decent options available.

Yeah agreed. Norwood didn't contribute nearly enough offensively, and while Williams would have runs of form where he looked immense (usually in December), most of the time he was flashy and insubstantial. But we could really use a midfielder with his ability to make a direct surging run or with Norwood's nous.

Think the best midfield we've ever had was when we had that three of Norwood, Tshibola, and Quinn. That could do everything. Don't think they actually played together very many times but they just blew teams away.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Feb 2019 19:27

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal Williams would improve us now, but he didn't work well with Norwood and spent half the time running down blind alleys. Plus we didn't have much in the way of regular quality up front.

Yeah agreed. Norwood didn't contribute nearly enough offensively, and while Williams would have runs of form where he looked immense (usually in December), most of the time he was flashy and insubstantial. But we could really use a midfielder with his ability to make a direct surging run or with Norwood's nous.

Think the best midfield we've ever had was when we had that three of Norwood, Tshibola, and Quinn. That could do everything. Don't think they actually played together very many times but they just blew teams away.

Are you sure about that?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Feb 2019 19:45

Well obviously I haven't been here since 1871 but I would go with the best since 1994.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Feb 2019 20:14

SCIAG Well obviously I haven't been here since 1871 but I would go with the best since 1994.

Last edited by sandman on 18 Feb 2019 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Feb 2019 21:31

John Madejski's Wallet

Playing U23's and bedding into a structure surely would be better in Legue One.

We don't even have a first 11 currently. Even if we survive this season. What's left for next? Teams take time to build.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 21:44

sandman
SCIAG Well obviously I haven't been here since 1871 but I would go with the best since 1994.

Yeah, feck off newbie :wink:
Lower West
John Madejski's Wallet Right up there with "going down will make us stronger"

We don't even have a first 11 currently. Even if we survive this season. What's left for next? Teams take time to build.

Kinda agree, although Warnock, Bielsa and Lamps might take umbrage with you to an extent. :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Feb 2019 21:48

URZZZZ Yiadom - one of the better players, but let the crosses come in too easily, a performance for which Gunter would be crucified 5

Indeed. But as the player with the most blocked crosses in the Championship, unlike Mr Gunter and his lame attempts to waft his foot near the ball, Yiadom has gained a bit of credit in that area of his game.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Feb 2019 22:34

Denver Royal
sandman

Lower West
John Madejski's Wallet Right up there with "going down will make us stronger"

Kinda agree, although Warnock, Bielsa and Lamps might take umbrage with you to an extent. :|

Players such as Meite, Richards, Loader, Swift would benefit from playing in a league where they could gain experience and confidence. Rather than turn out week in week out in a desperate struggle. Must wear the players down.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 23:16

Lower West
Denver Royal
sandman

Lower West Playing U23's and bedding into a structure surely would be better in Legue One.

Players such as Meite, Richards, Loader, Swift would benefit from playing in a league where they could gain experience and confidence. Rather than turn out week in week out in a desperate struggle. Must wear the players down.

Advantages and disadvantages. When I played, was usually urged to play in highest level I could. Sure, if I dropped down a league, the game slowed down. I ‘looked’ better, and felt better at times (tho ‘asterisk’ was always on my mind). But when I moved up again, found I was off the pace at first, average players I’d known before had improved markedly. It then took a while, and was thanking my lucky stars I hadn’t stayed down longer. I recall you not being averse to us being down a few years?

You mention Swift, do you suppose he will relish, or even want, to play in League 1?

Also, you didn’t respond re. managers. I’ve sensed reluctance by some to acknowledge success of some managers in Champ. Someone tried to assure me otherwise on Sat, but I knew better. Heh, someone then managed to write half page essay on the Sheff Utd of the last couple seasons...without even mentioning their manager (Wilder) once. Reckon I knew the reasons, but didn’t much fancy an exercise in futility. :wink:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 19 Feb 2019 03:25, edited 4 times in total.