Have Reading ever had a player like a "Pogba B"

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Have Reading ever had a player like a "Pogba B"

by Cripple Creek » 19 Feb 2019 05:25

Watching Pogba under OGS it struck me that Reading have never had a midfield player of his elegance, first touch and vision. Darius Wdowczyk was probably, for me, Reading's most stylish player in the sense that he was more like a new Mercedes than any other player that I can think of but he was a defender so doesn't count. Super Simon Osborne was class but didn't have the all round game of Pogba. I guess what I mean is have we ever had that kind of all round midfielder. Personally I think the closest we may have come is Mick Gooding, for me the most bafflingly underrated player I have seen for Reading. Don't understand why there's not a statue of him at the club.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Have Reading ever had a player like a "Pogba B"

by SCIAG » 19 Feb 2019 08:30

I mean, aside from the fact that we've historically been a third tier club and that players like Pogba are always sought after by the best clubs in the world...

I guess the nearest equivalent might be Aaron Tshibola? Combined the power of Leigertwood with the class of Osborn and the energy of Harper.

In terms of pure class, Daniel Carrico has to be up there too. His performance against Liverpool was immense.

No coincidence that both of them barely played for us.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2019 08:31

Sidwell? The complete midfielder for me.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 19 Feb 2019 08:50

David Lee.

On loan from Chelsea, early nineties, head and shoulders above the rest, scored goals from midfield etc etc

Whatever happened to him?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Feb 2019 09:45

Matejovsky.

I think the meme at the time was "the rest of the squad weren't on his level" :lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Feb 2019 10:11

Fox Talbot David Lee.

On loan from Chelsea, early nineties, head and shoulders above the rest, scored goals from midfield etc etc

Whatever happened to him?

He spent 10 years on loan to the lower leagues interspersed with a spells warming the bench for Chelsea.

genome Matejovsky.

I think the meme at the time was "the rest of the squad weren't on his level" :lol:

Matejovsky wasn't on his level most of the time.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Feb 2019 10:30

I always rated Danny Williams and thought he was far better than anyone gave him credit for. Probably the closest you'd get to a Pogba in the second tier

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 19 Feb 2019 10:38

Have Reading ever had a player like "Messi" etc. :roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2019 11:07

John Smith I always rated Danny Williams and thought he was far better than anyone gave him credit for. Probably the closest you'd get to a Pogba in the second tier

I think we miss DW much more than anyone expected.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Feb 2019 11:29

Hendo
John Smith I always rated Danny Williams and thought he was far better than anyone gave him credit for. Probably the closest you'd get to a Pogba in the second tier

I think we miss DW much more than anyone expected.

Yep, completely agree and have said many times. Missed his drive and energy. Plus he puts a boot in when necessary.

Ability wise, no way near the most gifted player we have had though. But I do think Gunnarson could have played a level above us.

bagman

by bagman » 19 Feb 2019 11:53

Bryn did at both Stoke and Watford in Premier, as well as 74 Icelandic caps.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Feb 2019 12:08

In terms of how influential I’d argue John Swift, when he has a good game he’s unstoppable at this level. Just wish he wasn’t so frustratingly inconsistent, because he’s a hell of a player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Feb 2019 12:17

genome Matejovsky.

Great passer, shame he would have been more mobile if you stuck him on a mobility scooter

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Feb 2019 12:20

bagman Bryn did at both Stoke and Watford in Premier, as well as 74 Icelandic caps.

Did he play for Stoke or Watford in the Prem? Not sure he did, even if he did, they at the time were the same level as us.
74 International caps for a not very good team doesn't reflect his ability IMO.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Feb 2019 12:27

We appear to have had plenty of midfielders in the last few seasons decide they won't bother putting in decent performance for a manager, so yes we've had a few Pogbas.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 19 Feb 2019 12:28

Coppells Lost Coat
bagman Bryn did at both Stoke and Watford in Premier, as well as 74 Icelandic caps.

Did he play for Stoke or Watford in the Prem? Not sure he did, even if he did, they at the time were the same level as us.
74 International caps for a not very good team doesn't reflect his ability IMO.

Who ever played for , for us a wonderful player not naturally gifted but you'll do well to name a better player that always gave 110% when he played

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Feb 2019 13:39

Gylfi ? Tho he was more like a No.10 than midfield.

Bowman was a good midfielder for us, at that time and place.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 Feb 2019 13:45

Have Reading ever had a player like Cristiano Ronaldo B?

Watching him smashing them in for Juventus in the Champions League it struck me Reading have never had a forward of his skill and technique. Bas Savage was probably for me as close as weve ever had in the sense that he was essentially bambi on ice but with more belly flops and missed passes but he was shit so I guess he doesn't count.

I guess what I mean is have we ever had the sort of player who smashes 40 goals a season in Europe and scores the winner in world cup finals?

I guess Dean Morgan was perhaps closest except he'd take out corner flags with his shots rather than hit the net.

Yeh this is a stupid thread.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2019 14:36

Jagermesiter1871 Have Reading ever had a player like Cristiano Ronaldo B?

Watching him smashing them in for Juventus in the Champions League it struck me Reading have never had a forward of his skill and technique.

Yes.

Jimmy Quinn.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Feb 2019 14:59

If you look at Pogba at his best, then no, we probably haven't had someone of his type, even relative to our standard.

There's two players who I think come closest though, Gylfi and James Harper. Gylfi speaks for himself as more than equivalent in relative ability as a number 10 (which Pogba has been at times when they've had to work the team around his lack of defensive discipline), but Harper might be a little more contentious.

Sidwell was the better player of the two, but Harper had, IMO, the better all-round game. He could pass, tackle, dribble, had flair and could undoubtedly cover the ground (and was obviously the best pointer in the division). He played a much more disciplined role for us though, which enabled Sidwell to flourish, so we probably never saw him do all the things you see Pogba do when he's playing at his very best even though, at Championship level, he was possibly capable of it.