MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by Terry Hurlock

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by Terry Hurlock

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2019 12:04

When : Saturday 13 April, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

After the unexpected filip of a point at Championship leaders Norwich comes Brentford at home. This really hast to be seen as a must win game to ensure pressure on those around Reading in the table is kept to a maximum. Any other result for Reading really will put the club back in the smelly stuff again.

Anyone thinking for a minute this is going to be easy after Norwich needs to think again. It’s not difficult to forget the number of expected home wins that Reading have screwed up over the this and last season so any complacency must be taken right off the agenda.

Brentford are basically inconsistent. While their home form is excellent their away form is the complete opposite with only a couple of away wins all season. They are also on a run of 1 win in the last 6 league games (which was 2-0 v Ipswich on Wednesday night). However the 9 league games they played before that yielded 7 wins including the 2 that they’ve had on the road (at Rotherham and Middlesbrough) so they are very capable of “doing you” if they get things right.

Brentford’s 1st choice keeper, David Bentley, is likely to miss the game with a shoulder problem but other than that there doesn’t seem to be too many problems about the place. Reading will welcome Nelson back after his enforced lay off against parent club Norwich but Liam Moore may have an issue with his shoulder following its earlier dislocation and then landing heavily on it again at Norwich. Former Bee John Swift is the other unknown with it being reported he has a fractured hip but whether it is sufficiently serious to end his season is expected to be found out by the club this week.

Overall this is a game where absolutely everyone from players and management to fans MUST give 100%+. Nothing else is going to get the win for Reading. So let’s hope the players, although buoyed by collecting a point at Norwich, aren’t too mentally and physically drained to be able to do further damage to Brentford’s away record.

Referee

Steve Martin is back again.

Previously

13 Feb 19 > Reading 2 v 1 Blackburn Rovers
22 Dec 2018 > Reading 0-1 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2018 > Reading 2-2 Sunderland
27 Feb 2018 > Nottm Forest 1-1 Reading
11 Dec 2017 > Reading 2-2 Cardiff City
23 Sep 2017 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
26 Aug 2017 -> Birmingham City 0-2 Reading
24 Jan 2017 > Reading 1-0 Fulham
15 Oct 2016 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-1 Reading
15 Mar 2016 > Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Reading
23 Jan 2016 > Reading 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
19 Sep 2015 > Bristol City 0-2 Reading
25 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-3 Barnsley

Historically

Brentford are one of the most common opponents for Reading with this game being the 86th time the clubs will have met in the league. Of the 42 league games played in Reading to date there have been 23 wins for the hoops compared to just 9 for the stripes.

However if you think that makes for an easy game then you might be in for a rude awakening as Brentford have won on four of their last five league visits, have scored twice in four of those five games and once in the other so not even a clean sheet has been kept by Reading in that time.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by Terry Hurlock

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Apr 2019 12:11

Bentley being out for them is probably good thing for them, he is total tripe.

jar95

by jar95 » 11 Apr 2019 12:18

Another huge game, as they all are from now on, but even more so with who everyone else is playing. A win would be HUGE, as you'd like to think Millwall would struggle v sheff united as would Rotherham away at Stoke and then Wigan on sunday at Norwich. I'd hope we go back to normal and bring Nelson in for Gunter and push Meite back out wide etc. Shame Bentley is injured as he is normally a good crack to take the mick. Still confident that if we win our 3 remaining home games we will be fine.
Last edited by jar95 on 11 Apr 2019 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Apr 2019 12:18

After the biggest games of the season against Wigan and Preston it comes to this, bigger than anything that's gone before, potentially we could have a 5 point cushion on Saturday night.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 12:24

-----------------Martinez
Yiadom--Miazga--Moore--Blackett
-------Rinomhota---Baker
Meite-----------Ejaria-----------Barrow
-----------------Oliveira

Subs: Walker, Gunter, McIntyre, Harriott, McCleary, Loader, Baldock

This is on the presumption that Swift is out and Moore will soldier(boom boom) through it.

I think we have a set first team now. Other than the Swift/Ejaria debate its hard to see how anyone will break into this team (when all are fit).

Harriott, McCleary, Baldock, Bodvarson and to a slightly lesser extent Loader all will have to concentrate on being impactful off the bench for the rest of the season. They should all be well capable of that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 12:28

yep, Swift in for Loader if and when fit. You might then start him instead of Ovie. Bod maybe for Harriott or McCleary if fit. Otherwise it looks pretty settled, and pretty strong now the majority are available.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 12:47

Hound yep, Swift in for Loader if and when fit. You might then start him instead of Ovie. Bod maybe for Harriott or McCleary if fit. Otherwise it looks pretty settled, and pretty strong now the majority are available.

One of the more interesting debates to be had in regards to the team sheet will be who drops off the bench for Bod. Swift/Ejaria replacing Loader is a no-brainer so which of our other attacking options comes out?

McCleary has lost a lot of pace but has had 2 assists in recent weeks and more experience than the rest combined.

Harriott scored and assisted shortly after his comeback but hasn't since however he has look fit, strong and determined every time hes played.

Baldock has split opinions for sure but has scored more goals than the above and actually for a while looked very decent on the left wing.

Bodvarson also scores. Something we need again and is probably the most like for like replacement for Oliveira who is miraculously fit. Can we count on him being fit for the final few games? Maybe a good idea to give Bod some game time just in case.

Good problem to have going into the final part of the relegation battle.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2019 13:00

NewCorkSeth
Hound yep, Swift in for Loader if and when fit. You might then start him instead of Ovie. Bod maybe for Harriott or McCleary if fit. Otherwise it looks pretty settled, and pretty strong now the majority are available.

One of the more interesting debates to be had in regards to the team sheet will be who drops off the bench for Bod. Swift/Ejaria replacing Loader is a no-brainer so which of our other attacking options comes out?

McCleary has lost a lot of pace but has had 2 assists in recent weeks and more experience than the rest combined.

Harriott scored and assisted shortly after his comeback but hasn't since however he has look fit, strong and determined every time hes played.

Baldock has split opinions for sure but has scored more goals than the above and actually for a while looked very decent on the left wing.

Bodvarson also scores. Something we need again and is probably the most like for like replacement for Oliveira who is miraculously fit. Can we count on him being fit for the final few games? Maybe a good idea to give Bod some game time just in case.

Good problem to have going into the final part of the relegation battle.

Think, when (if) all fit, will look something like

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Rinomhota
Baker

Meite
Swift
Barrow

Oliveira

Jaakkola, Gunter, Ejaria, Harriott, McCleary, Bodvarsson, Baldock

Possibly McShane rather than Baldock, let's not forget Baldock was fit at the start under Gomes and wasn't making the squad

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2019 13:02

For Saturday though, I'd keep the same team and match Brentford's formation. Oli on the bench instead of Loader

I'm all for rewarding players who have good games, and dropping players who were poor. Fit or not, Oliveira was poor against Hull, and Gunter was solid last night. Therefore Gunter should start

But him and Blackett and the midfield should push on more, the sitting back yesterday was always going to lead to us conceding

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 13:14

URZZZZ For Saturday though, I'd keep the same team and match Brentford's formation. Oli on the bench instead of Loader

I'm all for rewarding players who have good games, and dropping players who were poor. Fit or not, Oliveira was poor against Hull, and Gunter was solid last night. Therefore Gunter should start

But him and Blackett and the midfield should push on more, the sitting back yesterday was always going to lead to us conceding

I actually thought Gunter and Blackett played the perfect line for Norwich. They didnt sit too deep and did well getting forward. Blackett should have been wider a few times when we were out of possession but other than that they positioned themselves well.

The goal came from one of the few times we gave a player too much space to shoot and that was due to a well played 1, 2 by Norwich. I think the reason we didnt concede before that was due to Blackett and Gunter working well with Moore and Yiadom respectively to hold back Norwich from attacking our flanks.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Apr 2019 13:44

Brentfords away form this season is abysmal. Just 2 wins from 20 games

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england2

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 13:48

URZZZZ
Think, when (if) all fit, will look something like

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Rinomhota
Baker

Meite
Swift
Barrow

Oliveira

Jaakkola, Gunter, Ejaria, Harriott, McCleary, Bodvarsson, Baldock

This would be my team. Gunter can cover both FB positions, and if he comes on, Blackett or at a push Yiadom could move to CB if needed. Can also come on to make a back 5

5 decent forward options to come on then. Ejaria for creativity, Bod to lump it to, Baldock for pace and movement and the two wing options

I'd consider Eza for Ejaria if fit and doing ok in training for the away games

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 11 Apr 2019 14:13

Winston Biscuit Brentfords away form this season is abysmal. Just 2 wins from 20 games

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england2

Well that's us screwed then!

jar95

by jar95 » 11 Apr 2019 14:51

URZZZZ For Saturday though, I'd keep the same team and match Brentford's formation. Oli on the bench instead of Loader

Get what youre saying regarding playing players who have played well etc. But, surely its not Gunter over Oliveria, they are total opposite players..

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Apr 2019 09:36

Old Man Andrews Bentley being out for them is probably good thing for them, he is total tripe.

His name is also Daniel Bentley, not David.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 12 Apr 2019 09:43

I think we will win 2-0.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Apr 2019 09:43

The Enfield Royal71 I think we will win 2-0.

Me too. Are Brentford on the beach already?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 12 Apr 2019 09:45

John Smith
The Enfield Royal71 I think we will win 2-0.

Me too. Are Brentford on the beach already?

I think so. If we can nullify their only half decent player, Neil Maupay, I think we can do the proverbial smash and grab.

If we do win, I will be in Club1871 celebrating and throwing my beer in the air, letting off my flare I am smuggling in via my bun bag, and flicking the v's at the away fans.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 10:07

Watkins and Benrahma are also decent

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Apr 2019 10:21

Hound Watkins and Benrahma are also decent

Isn't that Rico Henry fella supposed to be quite a prospect? It's a good thing Barbet is out as I dont think Meite would have found much joy against him.