Which of the loanees would you prioritise?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Which of the loanees would you prioritise?

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 15:10

Barrow would be 4m or so I reckon. Meite likewise. Swift is probably the most sellable and also easiest to replace.

We'll clear out a lot more than those just ooc I suspect. Just how much we can pull in for them, or how many contracts we have to pay up (Meyler)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Apr 2019 15:29

Sutekh The EP website gives this quote on what JG said about buying Oliveira at today's press call...

Our loan gives us the chance to buy him but in this moment our financial situation is not good to buy anybody.
He has shown he is a fighter and gives everything but we don’t know if we will be able to sign him.

So, very much, it looks like Reading need to shift players out first therefore any transfer activity in the summer may well be on the late site as one deal triggers another

It might also suggest that those players that will be released at the end of the season won't reduce current outlay enough.

Further 6 month and season long loans might therefore be a workaround for this (and others) in the short term.

Perhaps Hibs might decide to buy McNulty and he's been hitting the back of the net regularly there so perhaps the club could get more than they paid?

Other than that I can only see Moore and Swift being able to attract really good prices.

We should really be looking at (at lest) the possibility of keeping McNulty and properly utilising him

Really surprised how good his figures are up there.

749 minutes for 6 goals and 4 assists. That's crazy-good

A goal every 123 minutes. Goal/Assist every 75 minutes

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Apr 2019 16:02

Snowball
Sutekh The EP website gives this quote on what JG said about buying Oliveira at today's press call...

Our loan gives us the chance to buy him but in this moment our financial situation is not good to buy anybody.
He has shown he is a fighter and gives everything but we don’t know if we will be able to sign him.

So, very much, it looks like Reading need to shift players out first therefore any transfer activity in the summer may well be on the late site as one deal triggers another

It might also suggest that those players that will be released at the end of the season won't reduce current outlay enough.

Further 6 month and season long loans might therefore be a workaround for this (and others) in the short term.

Perhaps Hibs might decide to buy McNulty and he's been hitting the back of the net regularly there so perhaps the club could get more than they paid?

Other than that I can only see Moore and Swift being able to attract really good prices.

We should really be looking at (at lest) the possibility of keeping McNulty and properly utilising him

Really surprised how good his figures are up there.

749 minutes for 6 goals and 4 assists. That's crazy-good

A goal every 123 minutes. Goal/Assist every 75 minutes

If I was him I wouldn't want to come back. I'd jump at the chance to make the Hibs thing permanent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 16:08

he won't want to come back, and I'm pretty sure he won't be seen in a Reading shirt again

May well be another loan to a SPL club - maybe Hibs again. Not sure they have £1m+ to spend on him

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Apr 2019 17:36

It may well be he "doesn't want to come back"

but

1 A good man-manager could explain the FFP issues in January

2 He is under contract

3 Most players would rather play Championship football over the SPL

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2019 17:53

Hound he won't want to come back, and I'm pretty sure he won't be seen in a Reading shirt again

May well be another loan to a SPL club - maybe Hibs again. Not sure they have £1m+ to spend on him

My Hib supporting colleague says outside Celtic and maybe Rangers there's no money in Scotland so there's feck all chance of Hibs spending £1m + on Him.

I'd swap Swift + change for Nelson any day of the week.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2019 18:05

Hound he won't want to come back, and I'm pretty sure he won't be seen in a Reading shirt again

Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Coventry again

Been treated awfully here and would like to see him again but doubt it will happen

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 18:06

Yep, feel a bit for him, but he’s done the right thing - got a loan and scored goals. He’ll be in demand now

I wouldn’t be against keeping him but it won’t happen

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2019 18:55

Denver Royal
Zip
Hound Well Moore is a lot more ‘proven’ at this level, no matter how good Miazga has been. Also basically the club captain, and pots last year.
We actually don’t know how good Miazga would be partnered with say McIntyre. They’ve been very much a partnership

Yep. Moore is also turning into an inspirational captain too.

I'm not sure how much Moore being pots a year ago is a factor now. It didn't stop quite a few wanting to sell him last year. Even during this season, some were still staying we should have cashed in back then. (Although, from what I'm hearing now, it's a darn good job we didn't).
People justified Miazga on their priority lists, even as #1 priority. I had taken that to mean they thought he'd be a heck of a CB in this division in his own right. At a guess, I'd imagine Chelsea think that. If I thought his abilities were somehow dependent on Liam Moore, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have him as my #1 priority.
Yes, obv Moore is more experienced. Would be interesting to see how good Miazga would be if he was 3 years older/had 3 more years experience in Champ.
We actually don't know how good Moore would be partnered with McIntyre. Do we?
From what you've seen, do you think Moore is actually the better player?

In an ideal world we get to keep Moore and sign Miazga. Unfortunately our financial position is seriously going to hinder us this summer. Our best hope would be to get Miazga back on a season long loan. I cannot see that we can fund his purchase.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Apr 2019 19:54

The really frustrating thing is if we hadn't pissed money away on players like Aluko and Edwards in 2017 we'd have a decent chance in bringing them all back and we'd quite possibly be looking at a top 6 push next season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2019 20:15

WestYorksRoyal The really frustrating thing is if we hadn't pissed money away on players like Aluko and Edwards in 2017 we'd have a decent chance in bringing them all back and we'd quite possibly be looking at a top 6 push next season

2017 was a disaster. Add in signings like Ilori, Popa and Mannone to those you mentioned and it caused huge damage which we have yet to recover from.
Very frustrating and we can only hope that the club can recover some of the money on Aluko by getting a fee for him but it won’t be a fraction of what we paid for him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 20:24

Zip
WestYorksRoyal The really frustrating thing is if we hadn't pissed money away on players like Aluko and Edwards in 2017 we'd have a decent chance in bringing them all back and we'd quite possibly be looking at a top 6 push next season

2017 was a disaster. Add in signings like Ilori, Popa and Mannone to those you mentioned and it caused huge damage which we have yet to recover from.
Very frustrating and we can only hope that the club can recover some of the money on Aluko by getting a fee for him but it won’t be a fraction of what we paid for him.

Correct. It was an absolute disaster of a year. Awful on and off the pitch

At least we got a decent amount back for Ilori. The other 2 were dreadful financially crippling signings

Barrow and Bacuna actually turned out decent value from the carnage of the other signings though (plus contracts to the likes of Joey and McShane)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2019 20:27

Was 2017 worse than 2018 though?

Yeah we signed some real wasters like Popa, Mutch, Clement etc but at least the "flops" in Ilori and Aluko still had the occasional good game. This season's signings, Walker, Meyler, O'Shea, Sims, McNulty etc have had about 5 good games between them, albeit most through lack of chances. A dreadful two years of business

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 20:32

Yep dreadful in 18 as well. And loads of money wasted on the likes of Meyler and O Sheas wages

Again at least we should get money back for McNulty and Yiadom is decent

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2019 20:47

And this isn't forgetting some of the flops in 2016 like Weiser, Rakels, Gravenberch, Mendes (sorry), even the likes of Evans (slightly harsh because he did feature a bit but I just didn't see a thing that he brought) and Harriott

Yeah, a transfer is always a risk but generally would estimate we've had about 20 real flops in three seasons, including loans which is just an awful waste of wages and money. Shame because we never used to be a club like that, we were always cautious and sensible with transfer dealings which generally brought around successes

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 20:52

Yeah but Aluko’s wage was prob more than that grisly lot’s put together

We made a profit that year which shows the wage budget was under control. You don’t mind a few cheap punts not coming off

They were pretty useless but evened up by the gambles on Swift, Meite, Moore, Yann, Beerens and arguably Blackett coming off

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2019 21:01

I see your point but even so in that season we made 16 signings, we could have almost made a matchday squad of them and I think unfortunately that was just the start of the sinking ship

And tbf, you could keep going back and back and then point to Clarke's ridiculous signings, 2 million on a loan! Maybe that was the start. Who knows? But yeah Aluko was certainly the end of any tight control we had on finances, I personally think Stam banked on us going one further than the season before so it wouldn't matter

As a side point, I think if we gave Adkins a bit more time and the sort of money Stam and Clarke had, we'd be in a much healthier position. A very underrated manager having to deal with Premier league wannabees in the first season and then a bunch of kids in the second and still guiding us to mid table. It saddens me people saying he was a flop

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 21:05

Yep don’t disagree- thought he did ok considering

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2019 21:08

Hound
Zip

Correct. It was an absolute disaster of a year. Awful on and off the pitch

At least we got a decent amount back for Ilori. The other 2 were dreadful financially crippling signings

Barrow and Bacuna actually turned out decent value from the carnage of the other signings though (plus contracts to the likes of Joey and McShane)

Yes fair comment. We made a good profit on Bacuna and Barrow has been value for money. The Aluko signing crippled us. God knows how much his signing has cost the club in transfer fee and wages but it’s upwards of £10 million I suspect. What a waste.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2019 21:11

If the rumours of Mannone being on big wages as well, honestly think that was almost as bad. A bang average keeper who is no better than the many free transfers knocking about, inc Jaakkola and Walker