BFTG - Bristol City

Old Man Andrews

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Apr 2019 19:40

Hound
URZZZZ
CountryRoyal How many opportunities did Oli squander?! Struggling to think of many worse substitute appearances. He desperately needs a goal.

Anyway, a really good point away at a good team. You can see why they’re successful, the amount of balls they lumped into the box was mental and for the most part we defended them very well. Not to take anything away they also had a decent balls to their front man and down the flank. Anyway, annoying Wigan one but good Rotherham lost and we can confirm safety on Monday :shock:

MOTM - Martinez (honourable mention to Miazga)

Well I don't remember Martinez making many saves, certainly not any "decent" saves and a save that a goalkeeper championship shouldn't be making. He's then in no man's land for the goal. A talented goalkeeper yes, but also an overrated one

It’s not just the saves though. Those two deadly accurate long kicks near the end could easily have brought us a goal. And the oppo by knowing he can do that, also know they can’t press to the extent they might like

Urzzz again proving to be clueless. Martinez was at no fault for the goal and his handling was faultless throughout.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Apr 2019 19:47

Old Man Andrews
Hound
URZZZZ
Well I don't remember Martinez making many saves, certainly not any "decent" saves and a save that a goalkeeper championship shouldn't be making. He's then in no man's land for the goal. A talented goalkeeper yes, but also an overrated one

It’s not just the saves though. Those two deadly accurate long kicks near the end could easily have brought us a goal. And the oppo by knowing he can do that, also know they can’t press to the extent they might like

Urzzz again proving to be clueless. Martinez was at no fault for the goal and his handling was faultless throughout.

The amount of difficult balls he took cleanly was very impressive, like he had glue on his gloves. A couple of really decent saves as well. Fault him if you want for their goal but a lesser keeper would have almost certainly spilled several of those attempted catches.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Apr 2019 19:50

Old Man Andrews
Hound
URZZZZ

Didn't say he was at fault. I said he was in no man's land, I'd put it down to a "could have done better" moment. But yes certainly Gunter and Blackett were more at fault, I don't understand why Gunter backs off so much when someone has a go at him, time and time again they got through us on our right hand side in the first half. He doesn't seem to allow this sort of situation happen to him when he's at LB

As for Martinez' kicks, he spent the first 75 minutes hoofing it to Barrow or off the pitch. He, along with the others, really picked it up in the last 15 minutes, one of his kicks was pinpoint accuracy

Not having a go at Martinez as such, but just agreeing with the poster (whoever he is) that said Martinez isn't as good as people think he is. That's all

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2019 20:02

It does seem the impressive last 20 are maybe not totally reflective of the full game tbf

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2019 20:27

TBF to Gunter, it's not like their left winger needed the space to get a peach of a cross in, he put another beaut in when his marker was as tight as you could possibly want.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Apr 2019 21:58

URZZZZ I don't understand why Gunter backs off so much when someone has a go at him, time and time again they got through us on our right hand side in the first half. He doesn't seem to allow this sort of situation happen to him when he's at LB

I'd put that down to the way Bristol were set-up to play. Their left full back was effectively playing as an out and out an winger. With the no 9 pulling out wide as well. If Barrow was a more intelligent player he'd have made movement / runs into the space behind. Giving the defender something to be occupied with.

We'd have been more balanced playing 4-5-1 than 5-3-2. Though lack the personnel restricts the permuatations available.

Thought it worth mentioning the composure and discipline shown today. Only 6 fouls committed and no yellow cards. That's impressive from a team in the position we are in. Gomes man management is rubbing off on the squad.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Apr 2019 23:39

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hound

Didn't say he was at fault. I said he was in no man's land, I'd put it down to a "could have done better" moment. But yes certainly Gunter and Blackett were more at fault, I don't understand why Gunter backs off so much when someone has a go at him, time and time again they got through us on our right hand side in the first half. He doesn't seem to allow this sort of situation happen to him when he's at LB

As for Martinez' kicks, he spent the first 75 minutes hoofing it to Barrow or off the pitch. He, along with the others, really picked it up in the last 15 minutes, one of his kicks was pinpoint accuracy

Not having a go at Martinez as such, but just agreeing with the poster (whoever he is) that said Martinez isn't as good as people think he is. That's all

He’s overrated?

Are you fcuking mad?

biff

by biff » 19 Apr 2019 23:48

Gunter and Blackett lost us 2 points there. Switched off and there we are, happens all too often.

Other than that, fairly good from all. Bakers movement to show for the ball was great, something we've missed. Miazga unreal, Moore too. Oliveira was embarrassing.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 20 Apr 2019 08:05

How about Moore's run down the left and cross inches away from Barrow!!
Disappointed with both full backs with the goal, but they both played well apart from that. Shame that through ball to Nelson at the end didn't come when Meite was still on given his extra pace.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Apr 2019 08:13

I`m still pretty hacked off why their guy never got a red card on the stretcher, disgusting chest high tackle. too much sentiment from the ref.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Apr 2019 08:28

Oliveira has a rep for selfishness

I wonder if long term he is a problem in the changing room?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Apr 2019 08:49

Not sure it was a red, I actually thought EJari fouled him. Certainly looked like ejari slipped into the challenge which made it bad.

Ref missed some obvious yellows, for both teams.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Apr 2019 09:17

Lower West
URZZZZ I don't understand why Gunter backs off so much when someone has a go at him, time and time again they got through us on our right hand side in the first half. He doesn't seem to allow this sort of situation happen to him when he's at LB

I'd put that down to the way Bristol were set-up to play. Their left full back was effectively playing as an out and out an winger. With the no 9 pulling out wide as well. If Barrow was a more intelligent player he'd have made movement / runs into the space behind. Giving the defender something to be occupied with.

We'd have been more balanced playing 4-5-1 than 5-3-2. Though lack the personnel restricts the permuatations available.

Thought it worth mentioning the composure and discipline shown today. Only 6 fouls committed and no yellow cards. That's impressive from a team in the position we are in. Gomes man management is rubbing off on the squad.

This for me goes to the heart of why Gunter is better on the left.

For some reason, he finds it easier to put his foot in and make a challenge on that side rather than resorting to his usual trick of showing everyone how fast he can run backwards.

Having said that, whereas some are lamenting the fact we conceded another lead, in my view we should be congratulating all concerned for scoring first again away to tough opposition and defending well enough to concede just once to an assault that would have seen us ship 3 or 4 not long ago.

One of Gomes' many talents appears to be being a quick learner. On that basis, I would implore him to keep Gunter on the left going forward.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Apr 2019 09:45

Thought Bristol looked very average. Martinez's distribution was generally brilliant - almost had several assists.

Urrrzzz posting predictably bonkers. A draw away to a playoff team and the average rating is a 4/5 :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Apr 2019 09:54

Snowball Oliveira has a rep for selfishness

I've started to wonder that. He almost seems to resent Meite scoring at times...

But he is quality... bizarrely seemed to be playing deeper the last couple of games I've seen him.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 20 Apr 2019 09:58

Hound It does seem the impressive last 20 are maybe not totally reflective of the full game tbf

Think it goes back to the point RR made about how we struggled to retain possession.

The two occasions we've played this formation we haven't had our best "hold up" player in Oliveira available. He had a frustrating game but the moment he came on the pitch we had our best spell of possession in the game. Meite and Barrow have their strengths but it doen't really lie in any possession based strategy. They're suited (and pretty successful) at very quick breakaways directly in behind defences so as such careful possession isn't really what we're going for.

The difference in the dynamic of the team is obvious when Oliveira is on the pitch. It's also why on SCIAG's "which loanees would you priories?" thread anyone moving Oliveira down the priority list and citing the availability of Baldock and Bod as the reason are comparing apples with oranges to large degree.

But that's a whole other discussion ;-)

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Apr 2019 10:01

Snowball Oliveira has a rep for selfishness

Agreed. If you look for it when watching him, he rarely passes to others, when he celebrates he runs off on his own. Not entirely convinced he's keeper.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2019 10:13

I think that comes with the territory with Nelson

Everyone knows he is a selfish striker. When and if he scores 20 in a season no one will care.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Apr 2019 11:14

LWJ Not sure it was a red, I actually thought EJari fouled him. Certainly looked like ejari slipped into the challenge which made it bad.

Ref missed some obvious yellows, for both teams.

Ejaria slipped because he was ankle tapped by Pack. If he hadn't slipped and gone lower, Smith's boot would have caught him in the chest.

Yellow as a very minimum - out of control, running onto a bouncing ball with boot high.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Apr 2019 11:32

Hound I think that comes with the territory with Nelson

Everyone knows he is a selfish striker. When and if he scores 20 in a season no one will care.

Yeah that’s it, but it just if. Because anything like yesterday and he just looks a bit of a dick. That being said there was only really one occasion where he shouldn’t have shot (when he scuffed it well wide from near edge of box), the other chances he really should have done better with, particularly the left foot shank and the header which practically went backwards.