Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by URZZZZ » 08 May 2019 15:14

Stranded Liked Harriott but this news is hardly a surprise esp when you look at his injury plagued apperance record over the 3 years here:

16/17 - 3 starts (9) sub appearances
17/18 - 0
18/19 - 2(10)

Great that he has got himself fit but probably needs to drop down to L1 to get a regular starting spot to prove his fitness again.

That's truly shocking. Considering he was still fit and available for nearly 10 months of his time at Reading, 5 starts is a poor return. Worked hard but didn't have the necessary quality to make it here. Good decision I think

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 May 2019 15:17

do like his little highlights reel.

shame, but so many injuries and so little real impact.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 May 2019 15:25

Couple of great goals in 16/17, but hasn't offered enough in 3 years. Leaves space for Olise/Barrett to take up a squad role (assuming we have very little money and higher priorities to spend it on). Good decision that won't surprise anyone.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 May 2019 15:28

Yep, did like Harriott but injuries etc meant he was never overly influential and can understand the decision to part ways. Good luck to him.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 08 May 2019 15:41

Can't be surprised that Harriott has left. In 3 years he played less minutes in the league than Oliveira has played for Reading (672 v 655).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 15:51

liked him as well but realistically again it was time to move on. The likes of Olise and Barrett can offer similar and are longer contracts.

Good luck to him, and delighted he managed to come back from what I thought may have been a career ending injury.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 15:53

Gomes has basically already said Anssi is leaving, so thats all the ooc's gone.

Wonder if they will announce who is 'transfer listed' or it will just go on in the background

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 May 2019 15:54

Hound Gomes has basically already said Anssi is leaving, so thats all the ooc's gone.

Wonder if they will announce who is 'transfer listed' or it will just go on in the background

I don't think they will announce this but it may become common knowledge based on rumours etc...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2019 15:58

Hendo
Hound Gomes has basically already said Anssi is leaving, so thats all the ooc's gone.

I don't think they will announce this but it may become common knowledge based on rumours etc...

Someone on here is bound to claim to be in the know soon. I imagine we've surmised who is transfer listed fairly accurately already.

The only question will be over players like Moore, Swift, Barrow, Meite and Bodvarson. Will teams come in for them and what will Gomes/the owners accept.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 May 2019 16:22

WoodleyRoyal
Franchise FC
NewCorkSeth Chelsea lost their appeal against a transfer ban. Will that make it easier or harder to sign players from them?

I would probably err on the harder side. They will have to plug any gaps from what they've already got and they'll have a sizeable Hazard shaped hole to fill as well

LOL yeah cos any player prepared to sign for us is going to be challenging for their first team :roll: Miazga Baker and alike won't even be 7th choice for them. And to suggest we might not get someone from them because Hazard needs replacing? just :lol:

Exactly - which is why GetReading/H Low should be utterly embarrassed by that article they put online earlier.

Is it a ‘major blow’? Hardly, absolute drama queens!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 16:30

Don't mean this as a dig at Meyler, but seeing him tweet about 'be seeing Andy Rinomhota soon' etc, does remind you how much the board etc have to do in the next couple of weeks.

Letting the ooc players go is the easy bit. Finding willing takers for players in contract on good money, even if letting go on a free isn't going to be easy - Meyler, Walker, Smith, Watson might come into that group.

And then trying to get money AND wages paid for McNulty, Baldock, Bod, McCleary, Gunter etc again is not going to be easy. Why would McCleary want to leave for example? Settled in the area, good contract etc.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 08 May 2019 16:40

Hound Don't mean this as a dig at Meyler, but seeing him tweet about 'be seeing Andy Rinomhota soon' etc, does remind you how much the board etc have to do in the next couple of weeks.

Letting the ooc players go is the easy bit. Finding willing takers for players in contract on good money, even if letting go on a free isn't going to be easy - Meyler, Walker, Smith, Watson might come into that group.

And then trying to get money AND wages paid for McNulty, Baldock, Bod, McCleary, Gunter etc again is not going to be easy. Why would McCleary want to leave for example? Settled in the area, good contract etc.

Don't see the need to move Gunter on, when he's behind a solid midfield he's easily one of the best wing backs in the division, versatile enough to be a really useful option.

All depends on how much McCleary and Bod are being paid, I like them both as people, but if they're among the top earners then they probably do need to go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 16:47

Chameleon
Hound Don't mean this as a dig at Meyler, but seeing him tweet about 'be seeing Andy Rinomhota soon' etc, does remind you how much the board etc have to do in the next couple of weeks.

Don't see the need to move Gunter on, when he's behind a solid midfield he's easily one of the best wing backs in the division, versatile enough to be a really useful option.

All depends on how much McCleary and Bod are being paid, I like them both as people, but if they're among the top earners then they probably do need to go.

I'd be more than happy for all of that second group to stay, possibly except McNulty. But just highlighting the challenge faced if we need to reduce the squad. Kelly is probably the one I've forgotten there who Id happily see moved on
Last edited by Hound on 08 May 2019 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2019 16:47

Chameleon

Money bruh. Money. Gunter is on about 20k a week. Yiadom is on less than 10k. Yiadom is twice the player.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 08 May 2019 17:03

NewCorkSeth
Chameleon

Money bruh. Money. Gunter is on about 20k a week. Yiadom is on less than 10k. Yiadom is twice the player.

This is key - anybody near first XI wages but not in the first XI should be top of the transfer list - purely financial reasons, no space for emotions

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 May 2019 17:16

Danny Williams released by Huddersfield, would take him back in a heartbeat.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 08 May 2019 17:18

windermereROYAL Danny Williams released by Huddersfield, would take him back in a heartbeat.

Suspect that money would be a major barrier. He's also a player that plays best when his next contract is on the line.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 May 2019 17:29

Cannot help thinking that with so many going and with little if any money to buy/loan replacements that next season could be another long one for RFC. As I said in an earlier post I think our success will very much depend on how many of the Academy can step up to the first team squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 17:33

Chameleon
windermereROYAL Danny Williams released by Huddersfield, would take him back in a heartbeat.

Suspect that money would be a major barrier. He's also a player that plays best when his next contract is on the line.

Liked Williams a lot, but tbh he is the type of player we are moving away from - expensive in wages and injury prone

Be interesting to see what level he is now after 18 months out though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 May 2019 17:47

I feel for Harriott. I remember that goal against Narch on Boxing Day 2016. A peach of a finish. Things were looking good.....then the injury and further set-backs to follow.
A real shame.

I hope he ends up back at a good club like Charlton and flourishes.

1826 posts