Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Jul 2019 15:57

NewCorkSeth
Ascotexgunner Blimey, GetReading reporting Baldock, Gunter, McCleary, Bodvasson, Popa, Meyler, and McNulty all told by Gomes their services are no longer required......Have we got any players left?
Cant believe Swift survives the cull.

I shouldnt bite but I will. Why the oxf*rd would Swift be on that list? Gomes clearly likes him.

Well if Gomes can turn him into the player we all hoped he would be and he shows consistency then yep Gomes knows....but that's a hell of a job because last season he constantly gave the ball away, was hopelessly caught out on so many occasions positionally and I don't think he even strung two decent games together.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jul 2019 16:09

Ascotexgunner
NewCorkSeth
Ascotexgunner Blimey, GetReading reporting Baldock, Gunter, McCleary, Bodvasson, Popa, Meyler, and McNulty all told by Gomes their services are no longer required......Have we got any players left?

I shouldnt bite but I will. Why the oxf*rd would Swift be on that list? Gomes clearly likes him.

Well if Gomes can turn him into the player we all hoped he would be and he shows consistency then yep Gomes knows....but that's a hell of a job because last season he constantly gave the ball away, was hopelessly caught out on so many occasions positionally and I don't think he even strung two decent games together.

Sure I saw something recently that had Swift in the top 10 or 20 midfielders for attacking contribution in the Championship last season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jul 2019 16:22

Stranded
Ascotexgunner
NewCorkSeth I shouldnt bite but I will. Why the oxf*rd would Swift be on that list? Gomes clearly likes him.

Sure I saw something recently that had Swift in the top 10 or 20 midfielders for attacking contribution in the Championship last season.

10. Specifically related to XGs but the statistical point stands. He certainly wasnt as bad as the above user suggests.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2019 16:30

he wasn't bad at all. His general stats for last year were pretty good, though obvs big scope for improvements this year in goal scoring and assists

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jul 2019 16:54

He was terrible during Clement’s reign and I’d given up on him after the Leeds (A) and then Stoke (H) horror shows

But fair play to him, he picked it up with a couple of decent performances after at Rotherham and QPR and during the second half of the season, he was OK. Consistency is a problem but he’s an attaching midfielder so that’s common, and his lack of goals/assists is a slight problem but he was improving on that side of his game. Thought we missed him towards the end of the season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 18:10

Nameless Obita is certainly better than just a squad player. Better defensively than our other options, good going forward and rather more disciplined than Blackett. By no means perfect but to dismiss him as a 'squad' player suggests a attention span of less than 2 years !!
Why would you 'rotate' full backs ? You just pick the best player, it's the position that traditionally you had players playing lots of games. You also absolutely need to develop an understanding between your full back and your wide attacker which we have been lacking for several seasons.

He's very weak on the back post and I wouldn't describe him as especially good defensively.

Taking corners, overlapping, crossing, passing, not sloppy, taking people on, yeah.

I'd say Blackett defends better, but is more likely to lose concentration or give the ball away in a dangerous area.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 18:16

Have I stolen your logon?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 18:19

Stranded
Ascotexgunner
NewCorkSeth I shouldnt bite but I will. Why the oxf*rd would Swift be on that list? Gomes clearly likes him.

28(6) 3 and 3 suggests if you did they're flawed.

And tbf several of those criticisms aren't about attacking contributions.

Several of his performances last season were an abomination. Especially when deeper or on the left.

Got a lot better under Gomes to the point where he might sometimes be in position and track.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jul 2019 20:13

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Ascotexgunner

Several of his performances last season were an abomination. Especially when deeper or on the left.

Got a lot better under Gomes to the point where he might sometimes be in position and track.

As someone else mentioned above it was the XG created stat. Which meant he was in top 10 for creating strong chances. Can't do much if the others miss the chance.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2019 21:18

URZZZZ So summary so far according to Friday

Bod - Millwall
McCleary - USA
Kelly - Feyenoord
Baldock - Charlton
Also reported that there is likely to be another exit rumoured later

Gone from not getting rid of any of the unwanted players to a flurry of rumours. Like London buses etc...

Being reported that Mr S Baldock will not take a pay cut to leave Reading.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... scuppered/

Can understand the point of principle there but can’t really see him “kicking his heels” for two years despite that so hopefully something will be worked out - and did he travel to Spain after all?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 21:23

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

As someone else mentioned above it was the XG created stat. Which meant he was in top 10 for creating strong chances. Can't do much if the others miss the chance.

I'm deeply skeptical

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jul 2019 21:26

I can’t remember many chances created by Swift last season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2019 21:58

Zip I can’t remember many chances created by Swift last season.

I can’t either tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2019 07:20

Hound

I can’t either tbh.

Who scored does have him on our most 'key passes' at 1.6 a game, although again that's a stat I'm sceptical of. But I also don't remember many good chances he created.

It's his dribbled past, unsuccessful touches and dispossessed I'm not happy with on the stat side. And I feel those come in the wrong parts of the pitch.

Similar to Ejaria's, though Ovie has better tackling and interceptions.

Esteban

by Esteban » 10 Jul 2019 07:54

Hound

I can’t either tbh.

There was that game at home where he won the ball deep and played it with the outside of his boot to Barrow on the left, who crossed for Meite to score.

A glimpse of what he is capable of.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 10 Jul 2019 11:05

Its been reported that Jose has said that he will sign 4 new players this week.

Presumably goalie, CB, quarter back (as per Jose's preferred style of play) and striker (maybe winger) ?

If he manages to get players of the calibre of last seasons loanees-we have a good chance of upper/mid table finish.

If this all collapses (and it is now Wednesday), it looks as if its going to be a third years battle of staying up.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Jul 2019 11:43

NewCorkSeth
Maneki Neko
NewCorkSeth I think you are masking pessimism as realism there buddy.

In reality a first team of
---------------------GK
Yiadom--Moore--Blackett--Obita
------Rinomhota---CM
Meite-----------Swift----------Barrow
---------------------ST

Walker/Boyce-Clarke
Watson/Howe
Osho/McIntyre
Richards
East/Holsgrove
Olise/Barrett
Loader/Novakovich

is not nearly as dire as it first appears to be. 4 strong additions in GK, CB, CM and ST and we have a full team. A full team with several quality players already in it. Yiadom, Moore, Rinomhota, Meite, Barrow and Swift are all good standard for this league. Obita too if he makes a good recovery.

Olise looked bright and capable and Loader is one of the most sought after young talents in the league.

Now we might not get someone good enough for each position we are currently lacking numbers in but we could be a lot worse off.

think its easy to underestimate how much difference a fit obita and a confident nova could make to this squad

Novakovich is in the unfortunate position being the only* striker we have right now. That's why I include that position as a troubling area.

*obviously we have Meite, Loader and Baldock able to play there currently but one is our Right winger, one played all his games for us (I think) as an attacking midfielder/side forward and one is unwanted.

Agree on Obita. He was a fairly decent LB before his injury. Could add a lot to the team.

Again though - they're completely untested players at the moment (I include any player that's been out for two years as untested). They could be good, could be bad.

Yeah, I am a pessimistic fan, and often i'm proved wrong. I just wanted to point out that I think it's quite a bit of a gamble of whether that current squad can stay in the league. If you wanted more certainty you'd basically need to buy another established championship player for ever position (other than wingers).

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Jul 2019 13:05

Sutekh

Bod - Millwall
McCleary - USA
Kelly - Feyenoord
Baldock - Charlton

Gone from not getting rid of any of the unwanted players to a flurry of rumours. Like London buses etc...

Can understand the point of principle there but can’t really see him “kicking his heels” for two years despite that so hopefully something will be worked out - and did he travel to Spain after all?

IMO he is quite right to take the stand he has. Not his fault that he was offered a ridiculous wage. He is a player coming towards the end of his career and so has to maximise his income. It is easier to move a player on with only one year left on their contract as they might be offered 2-3 years elsewhere which would balance off a reduction in wages, but it is hard to move a player on with 2 years left unless we loan him out and pay say 50% of his wages - which reduces our costs a tad.

My gut feeling is that if Bod goes that Baldock will stay on at RFC for another season and move on next summer - unless a fellow Championship club is desperate for a striker this summer and prepared to pay up.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Jul 2019 13:14

andrew1957
Sutekh

Bod - Millwall
McCleary - USA
Kelly - Feyenoord
Baldock - Charlton

IMO he is quite right to take the stand he has. Not his fault that he was offered a ridiculous wage. He is a player coming towards the end of his career and so has to maximise his income. It is easier to move a player on with only one year left on their contract as they might be offered 2-3 years elsewhere which would balance off a reduction in wages, but it is hard to move a player on with 2 years left unless we loan him out and pay say 50% of his wages - which reduces our costs a tad.

My gut feeling is that if Bod goes that Baldock will stay on at RFC for another season and move on next summer - unless a fellow Championship club is desperate for a striker this summer and prepared to pay up.

You would think in these situations it would make sense to just pay him a separation fee to cover the differences in wages.

BHA fans tell me that Baldock is a decent player though; maybe we should just give him an extend run.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2019 14:33

Elm Park Kid
andrew1957
Sutekh

You would think in these situations it would make sense to just pay him a separation fee to cover the differences in wages.

BHA fans tell me that Baldock is a decent player though; maybe we should just give him an extend run.

As I highlighted previously in this thread there is the potential Brighton are due extra money based on appearance or goal landmarks. For a team in a financial hole he could end up setting us back quite a bit in the short term (obviously if he plays well and his performances/goals keep us up then its worth it in the long run).

We apparently had a similar issue with Mannone. He was not far off a landmark appearence which would have led to us owing a significant sum either to the player or Sunderland.

1826 posts