Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by SCIAG » 05 Aug 2019 21:58

I've also looked up Pelé on YouTube and wow :o

Sign him up!

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 05 Aug 2019 23:11

John O'Shea on the debate I. Sky now, saying Reading hope to get 'a few' new players in over the next couple of days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 07:30

If we do bring in Joao, Pele, Rafael along with Boye as seems likely, would have to feel pretty happy that we’ve addressed all the problem areas with strong, experienced players

Obvs they won’t all work out but do certainly feel a lot more confident with them in

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 08:08

Yes. Would mean a big squad again though. The bench should certainly be decent!

Rafael
Yiadom, Miazga, Moore, Blackett
Rinomhota, Pele
Meite, Swift, Barrow
Joao

Walker, Morrison, McIntyre, Adam, Boye, Novakovich, Olise/Loader/Baldock

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 08:34

It looks a decent side to me. Tbf a lot of the squad depth is U23 players - not like we have a load of Meyler’s knocking about in the reserves

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Aug 2019 08:37

I rarely agree with chucking youngsters in because so often it causes unnecessary pressure on the shoulders of them. But Olise is one of the most gifted youngsters we’ve had in a long time. He needs to be in the XI

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 08:40

URZZZZ I rarely agree with chucking youngsters in because so often it causes unnecessary pressure on the shoulders of them. But Olise is one of the most gifted youngsters we’ve had in a long time. He needs to be in the XI

At 17 you can't rely on him through a whole season. This adds depth and he will be introduced sensibly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 08:57

yeah regular appearances off the bench and then hopefully if that goes well, a spot in the first 11 over the course of the season. Would certainly have him on the bench at a minimum though

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Aug 2019 09:02

Hound yeah regular appearances off the bench and then hopefully if that goes well, a spot in the first 11 over the course of the season. Would certainly have him on the bench at a minimum though
^^^this

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2019 09:21

Snowflake Royal Yes. Would mean a big squad again though. The bench should certainly be decent!

Rafael
Rinomhota, Pele
Meite, Swift, Barrow
Joao

Disagree it would be big - we would have 2 players per outfield position backed up by a group of talented Academy players who know there is a path way if they good enough. Healthy competition without too many players (if any) being an unsettling influence if they aren't in the squad.

Feels about the right size.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 09:42

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Yes. Would mean a big squad again though. The bench should certainly be decent!

Rafael
Rinomhota, Pele
Meite, Swift, Barrow
Joao

Disagree it would be big - we would have 2 players per outfield position backed up by a group of talented Academy players who know there is a path way if they good enough. Healthy competition without too many players (if any) being an unsettling influence if they aren't in the squad.

If Ejaria was still possible, would you add him in? I think a path needs to be left open for Olise.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2019 09:45

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

Rafael
Rinomhota, Pele
Meite, Swift, Barrow
Joao

If Ejaria was still possible, would you add him in? I think a path needs to be left open for Olise.

At this point, no probably not as I think it stats to close down the clear paths there are for players like Olise, Barratt, East and Holsgrove to get minutes this season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Aug 2019 09:52

I don't think the squad is that big. Wikipedia lists 30 players in the first team squad.

That includes Gunter, McCleary and Popa, 10 academy graduates with 6 or fewer league appearances, mainly off the bench, plus Rinomhota, Loader, Richards and Virginia.

Bring in Joao, Rafael and Pele and that's basically a core of 16 players with over 100 league appearances plus 14 academy graduates.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2019 09:52

Also with Ejaria, is it does use up that loan. Could be needed in Jan

I don't think we need Ejaria. Good player, and wouldn't be upset if he did still come though. Olise is not far behind him already imo

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2019 10:01

If Joao, Pele and Rafael do sign there is going to be a distinctive Iberian/Latin American feel to the side especially when you add on Boyé into the mix. It will be down to Gomes to get them to gel with the rest of the squsd.

I don’t think many of us expected eight signings this summer. It will impact upon the amount of playing time our Academy boys get. So I have mixed feelings. Having said that the squad was light on experienced players.
Personally I would send Virginia back to Everton. Either that or sell Walker.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Aug 2019 10:04

Much as I'd like to see Ejaria return, I'm not entirely sure we need him now.

Although you can question the signing of specific individuals, for once, we appear to be recruiting as per need.

I don't think it will impact the playing time for academy graduates that much. There's no longer 3 or 4 players ahead of them in some positions and if they are good enough, they will play.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 06 Aug 2019 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Aug 2019 10:06

From Despair To Where? Much as I'd like to see Ejaria return, I'm not entirely sure we need him now.

Although you can question the signing of specific individuals, for once, we appear to be recruiting as per need.

Not now. I like Ejaria too but the squad would be big enough with the three incomings.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Aug 2019 10:08

Rafael
Rinomhota, Pele
Meite, Swift, Barrow
Joao

Is that a suggested team for Hull or a theoretical XI for the season?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Aug 2019 10:10

Zip If Joao, Pele and Rafael do sign there is going to be a distinctive Iberian/Latin American feel to the side especially when you add on Boyé into the mix. It will be down to Gomes to get them to gel with the rest of the squsd.

I don’t think many of us expected eight signings this summer. It will impact upon the amount of playing time our Academy boys get. So I have mixed feelings. Having said that the squad was light on experienced players.
Personally I would send Virginia back to Everton. Either that or sell Walker.

This is an interesting point. Our loanees last season were all experienced in England. You expect modern footballers to be adaptable and work well with diverse groups, but integration will undoubtedly be tougher this time.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 06 Aug 2019 10:12

No way Boye has been signed for the bench. I think we'll stick him in behind the striker instead of swift.

1826 posts