BFT(final)G

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFT(final)G

by Zip » 05 May 2019 18:21

CountryRoyal The thought of lining up next season without Martinez, Miazga and Baker is too much too bare. I even love Ovie :(

That’s the issue. Are we going to be able to start next season with a squad as strong as the one we finished this season with. Highly doubtful.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 18:24

Even if we got all six loanees, we could still do with a bit more. The idea of getting none of them is terrifying.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 18:28

Zip
CountryRoyal The thought of lining up next season without Martinez, Miazga and Baker is too much too bare. I even love Ovie :(

That’s the issue. Are we going to be able to start next season with a squad as strong as the one we finished this season with. Highly doubtful.

In today’s market those three players are probably worth £20m.

So no.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 18:29

Snowflake Royal Even if we got all six loanees, we could still do with a bit more. The idea of getting none of them is terrifying.

Yeah this is spot on. As much as I like Gomes he’s going to have to pull an absolute blinder to get a team to compete without the loanees.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 18:33

We’ll likely have 3-5 loanees again. They just need to be good again

But we’re not alone. Wigan would have gone down with James and Derby certainly wouldn’t be in the play offs without their contingent

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 May 2019 18:34

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Which raises a question about Martinez Not being with them.

Came into the East Stand (in front of us in Y24) to present a large bouquet of flowers to a lady. (I believe the guy with her is connected to STAR).

Nice.

The lady he presented the flowers to sorts out the goalkeeper's jerseys for him. Apparently they are all long-sleeved, and Martinez prefers playing in short sleeves, so she alters them for him.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 18:41

Zip

The club now has an identity and the team a style. Both of which are major pluses. I'm sure that there'll be some season long loans signed. Clubs will see that their players will get game time at Reading. In a positive enviroment. Where both Reading and the parent club receive a benefit. Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are going to regard the past few months as being extremely valuable in their players development and ultimately value.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 18:42

muirinho
Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Came into the East Stand (in front of us in Y24) to present a large bouquet of flowers to a lady. (I believe the guy with her is connected to STAR).

Nice.

The lady he presented the flowers to sorts out the goalkeeper's jerseys for him. Apparently they are all long-sleeved, and Martinez prefers playing in short sleeves, so she alters them for him.

Thanks for the info. What a great gesture.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 18:44

The team as a whole gets an 8. Inexperienced and playing without a target striker. Played the game that Gomes set them out to do. When you get 11 players that collectively play with spirit and committment. Makes the game far easier to manage. No passengers today on the pitch. If this is the ethic for next season. The future looks the brightest for some time.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 May 2019 18:54

Recruiting players with the right attitude will be key; did well with the current crop of loanees and needs to replicate that passion and drive. Teams can get promoted from this division by being a good team, and not a bunch of high quality individuals. If Gomes can get the team spirit back again next season then we won't get relegated and might even push towards the play-offs

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 May 2019 19:38

Zip
Royals and Racers
Zip Very enjoyable especially seeing our youngsters offer so much movement. Felt sorry for Bod not making the squad. Ditto Harriott. Both unlikely to be here next season. No game time for Baldock or Ezatolahi so can see them going too.
Club 1871 made plenty of noise. It was an uplifting finish to a slog of a season.

Martinez. 7. Had very little to do but did well when called upon
Gunter 8 Some terrific crosses and defended well. Up yours Victor 8)
Yiadom. 6 Pretty quiet today and rarely got forward
Moore. 8. Won loads of headers and defended like a lion
Miazga. 7. Not quite at his best to begin with but got better as the game wore on
Rinomhota. 7 Solid throughout the game
Baker. 8 I love his positioning and some cracking passes to the flanks.
Ejaria. 8. Terrific today. Great feet but also did a lot of good defensive work
Loader. 7. Looked mature and composed but could have been more clinical
Olise. 7. Combined really well with Gunter and showed some nice touches
Barrett. 7 Worked his heart out. Should have scored though

Barrow. 5. Didn’t really have much service but fairly ineffective
O’Shea. N/A Not on long enough
Howe. N/A. Not on long enough

It can`t have been Yiadom i saw in the Brum penalty area loads of times then :wink:

I can’t recall him pushing forward in the way that Gunter was. Didn’t catch my eye

Absolutely bonkers. Everyone around me was commenting on how he seemed to be in the penalty box all the time, oddly so. I can remember him at least twice being 1 on 1 with the keeper. Genuinely was noticeably attacking today, probably too much so as he seemed to be occupying space our strikers should have been in. :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 19:43

Jagermesiter1871
Zip
Royals and Racers It can`t have been Yiadom i saw in the Brum penalty area loads of times then :wink:

I can’t recall him pushing forward in the way that Gunter was. Didn’t catch my eye

Absolutely bonkers. Everyone around me was commenting on how he seemed to be in the penalty box all the time, oddly so. I can remember him at least twice being 1 on 1 with the keeper. Genuinely was noticeably attacking today, probably too much so as he seemed to be occupying space our strikers should have been in. :shock:

:lol: I genuinely cannot remember him pushing forward like this. I haven’t been drinking either.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 May 2019 19:56

Snowflake Royal Even if we got all six loanees, we could still do with a bit more. The idea of getting none of them is terrifying.

It is worrying. Gomes is going to be busy this summer.
So have we got new sponsors yet? just wondered if we will have an injection of new money to help.
I for one will be glad to see the back of that ridiculous sh*tty logo on the front of the shirt and more sponsorship round the ground again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 19:57

That's now three 0-0's we've had on the last game of the season but today was the first home game since Preston (H) in April 2016 that there's absolutely nothing riding on the game, last year we were still in the relegation dogfight and the year before our last home game was to secure playoffs. Nice to have a "meaningless" home game for once

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 May 2019 20:00

Zip
Jagermesiter1871
Zip

:lol: I genuinely cannot remember him pushing forward like this. I haven’t been drinking either.

:lol: it's funny what different people take away from games. Might be all down to where you're sat.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 20:04

Jagermesiter1871
Zip
Jagermesiter1871

:lol: it's funny what different people take away from games. Might be all down to where you're sat.

Yep agreed. For me the first half was all about Gunter flying down the right flank and Baker controlling things from deep. I usually notice Yids but today he seemed quiet partly because he wasn’t having to do so much tackling/blocking.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2019 20:09

Should have won that comfortably. Thought our front 3 (whilst promising) are lightweight and can't help but think we'd have won with Oliveira and maybe Barrow starting. Olise, Barrett and Loader did well. That shot in the 2nd half was almost a worldy. That'd have been one of the best goals I've ever seen had that gone a tad lower and left.

Really hope we can keep at least Baker, Miazga and Oliveira. Whilst I like Martinez, he can be replaced easier. I have a feeling we might only bring 1 of them in permanently if we're lucky. Can definitely see us selling 2 of Moore, Rinomhota and Swift in the summer to raise funds which would be a shame. I'd rather lose Swift of those 3.

Can see McShane, Baldock, Rinomhota, Swift, Jaakkola, Blackett, Meyler, McNulty in addition to O' Shea and Van Den Berg going as a minimum. We need to trim the squad down but only our higher earners and try bring 5-6 quality signings.

Whilst I think we've got the identity right I think next season is also going to be tough.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 05 May 2019 21:28

How long was John O’Shea on for? I saw them do a guard of honour for him online and assumed it must have been the whole of the second half.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 21:31

Guard of honour was to bring him on wasn’t it? Dunno like 5 mins or so?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 May 2019 21:34

I think it was roughly in the 88th minute.