Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pre season tour

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 17:54

4-2 ft. Decent run out and result

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Jul 2019 17:55

And on to Chelsea, I will just be happy with a goal in this one.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 18:47

Thought there were some useful individual performances but hard to draw any conclusions asto where we are as a team.
Yiadom was really good playing as the entire right hand side of the team.
Swift did plenty of good things and a few not so good.
Blackett was very decent first half.
Barrett looks more like a contender than he has for some time. Better fitness and work rate and nice skills. Can he do it for 90 minutes twice a week though ?

Not too convinced by the keeper. He didn’t have much to do but doesn’t have the presence Martinez did.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 24 Jul 2019 19:14

So still no sign of Obita ... we should start a new 'where is Obita?' thread maybe?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 19:16

Royalwaster So still no sign of Obita ... we should start a new 'where is Obita?' thread maybe?

Obita was there, working really hard on interval runs with Loader before the game and again at half time. Looks to be fit or close to it and suspect he’ll be ready for some match minutes very soon.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2019 19:26

First thing, I thought the defence was playing far higher and we rarely had a flat back four. Yiadom and Blackett were almost always ahead of the CBs, almost wing-backs. They got a lot of joy out there, often fed by Barrett.

Barrett impressed me. I would have no worries about him being in the team. Worked very hard.

Swift won a fair few tackles. In general we won plenty of midfield turnovers. There was a lot more pressing and, considering the heat, the lads worked very hard.

Meite looked strong and quick.

We were clearly NOT playing a target-man game and early on I thought there was a little bit too much long ball. But we settled down and began to look promising. Blackett hooked his goal after something was blocked at a corner. I think he was unmarked.

Barrow's goal, set up by Swift, whacked from an angle into the roof of the net. 2-0 was deserved but we had given Posh an easy 1-v-1 chance that their CF tapped straight to Virginia

First Peterboro goal - Blackett allowed the cross and somehow the Peterboro CF squeezed out the shot despited being sandwiched by Moore and (I presume) McIntyre. Good goal from Peterboro's POV but poor from us.

Second Half started like so many. Reading just didn't get going. Peterboro were pressing and we were making mistakes. One dispossession and a low strike from the edge of the box 2-2... again I'd say poor defending (poor midfield action).

I missed Swift's goal, distracted by twenty numpties "singing"

Barrett's goal was very nice, very cool and a good finish.

In general I thought we were much the better team but got casual at times (esp Olise who got one bollocking from Moore). Olise looks class but someone might need a word...

McIntyre was decent most of the time, happy to burst forward, but the high line will cause problems. Their tap-to-Virginia chance came because McIntyre was way up the pitch. One mistake and their winger is bombing in on goal.

Not sure who our Number 12 was. One "impossible" moment where he somehow retained possession but for the rest of his time he seemed to just want to give a simple pass back to the first eleven players rather than have a go himself

Rhino was very decent. I like his bursts from defensive midfield, but at some time this season one will go wrong and (probably) gift the opposition a goal

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2019 19:45

Snowball Not sure who our Number 12 was. One "impossible" moment where he somehow retained possession but for the rest of his time he seemed to just want to give a simple pass back to the first eleven players rather than have a go himself

Watson?

Garry Baldy

by Garry Baldy » 24 Jul 2019 20:28

Very impressed with Josh Barrett. Comfortable on the ball with a good first touch, excellent use of possession and lots of effort in closing down. All this topped off with a very neat goal, reminiscent of a Jimmy Quinn finish. This is good to see after a wasted season or two. Perhaps this season could be a belated breakthrough for him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2019 20:29

Platypuss
Snowball Not sure who our Number 12 was. One "impossible" moment where he somehow retained possession but for the rest of his time he seemed to just want to give a simple pass back to the first eleven players rather than have a go himself

Watson?

No he was 18

Was wondering if he was that trialist AM. From the crow's nest he looked Spanish!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Jul 2019 20:33

Snowball First thing, I thought the defence was playing far higher and we rarely had a flat back four. Yiadom and Blackett were almost always ahead of the CBs, almost wing-backs. They got a lot of joy out there, often fed by Barrett.

Barrett impressed me. I would have no worries about him being in the team. Worked very hard.

Swift won a fair few tackles. In general we won plenty of midfield turnovers. There was a lot more pressing and, considering the heat, the lads worked very hard.

Meite looked strong and quick.

We were clearly NOT playing a target-man game and early on I thought there was a little bit too much long ball. But we settled down and began to look promising. Blackett hooked his goal after something was blocked at a corner. I think he was unmarked.

Barrow's goal, set up by Swift, whacked from an angle into the roof of the net. 2-0 was deserved but we had given Posh an easy 1-v-1 chance that their CF tapped straight to Virginia

First Peterboro goal - Blackett allowed the cross and somehow the Peterboro CF squeezed out the shot despited being sandwiched by Moore and (I presume) McIntyre. Good goal from Peterboro's POV but poor from us.

Second Half started like so many. Reading just didn't get going. Peterboro were pressing and we were making mistakes. One dispossession and a low strike from the edge of the box 2-2... again I'd say poor defending (poor midfield action).

In general I thought we were much the better team but got casual at times (esp Olise who got one bollocking from Moore). Olise looks class but someone might need a word...

McIntyre was decent most of the time, happy to burst forward, but the high line will cause problems. Their tap-to-Virginia chance came because McIntyre was way up the pitch. One mistake and their winger is bombing in on goal.

Not sure who our Number 12 was. One "impossible" moment where he somehow retained possession but for the rest of his time he seemed to just want to give a simple pass back to the first eleven players rather than have a go himself

Rhino was very decent. I like his bursts from defensive midfield, but at some time this season one will go wrong and (probably) gift the opposition a goal

Pretty much agree with all of that.

It was a very enjoyable game IMO. Best value for ages at the Madstad - and it was free! Big up to the club for that and a good number of Number 13 took advantage.

Thought Barrett was excellent today - even without the goal, which was a great finish. In fact we looked very good going forwards and a bit shaky at the back - which is pretty much the opposite of most of the matches in Spain. Olise is a class act and could have a very big season ahead but he does make some poor decisions as he is still very young.

It was definitely Watson who came on as number 12 in CM. It took me a while to work that out as he was playing out of normal position.

Swift also very effective - I really do struggle with the Swift haters as he is consistently one of our most creative players. Super goal.

Meite varies between the sublime and the touch of an elephant but his work rate and enthusiasm are legendary and he would always be one of the first names on my team sheet.

A promising and enjoyable couple of hours.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2019 20:43

Yeah that looks like him

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 20:46

Garry Baldy Very impressed with Josh Barrett. Comfortable on the ball with a good first touch, excellent use of possession and lots of effort in closing down. All this topped off with a very neat goal, reminiscent of a Jimmy Quinn finish. This is good to see after a wasted season or two. Perhaps this season could be a belated breakthrough for him.

Would be very good if he has managed to add a top quality attitude to his ability. He is still surprisingly young (just turned 21) so hopefully we may see a player that I doubted would ever make it at this level prove me wrong (I’m sure it is what motivates him !)

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 24 Jul 2019 20:54

Snowball

Swift’s goal, and some passes were incredible. Where was he last year?!

Barrett’s work rate was truly impressive.

Hope our goalie grows whatever the Portuguese equivalent of cohones is, as he looked a bit rabbit in headlights, and good to see Posh tiring ages before u(rzz)s.

Raspberry to genius who put everyone in Y on one of the hottest days of the year, with lots of ankle biters present due to school holidays getting a good dose of UV, and the pillock in a Mo Salah third kit.. Roll on the plastic fest on Sunday.
Last edited by Singing Defective on 24 Jul 2019 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2019 20:57

Snowball
Platypuss

Watson?

No he was 18

Was wondering if he was that trialist AM. From the crow's nest he looked Spanish!

O/S Twitter said Olise was 18.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 20:59

Platypuss
Snowball
Platypuss
Watson?

No he was 18

Impossible not to recognise Olise with the ginger hair !

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2019 21:05

Nameless
Platypuss
Snowball
No he was 18

Impossible not to recognise Olise with the ginger hair !

Being a ginger, I agree

I may be having a week of senior moments (just mis-remembered the number there, Olise is easy to spot, yes)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jul 2019 21:19

Thanks for the summaries

To those who went, did we look like we could compete in the Championship? Do we look more ready than 12 months ago?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 21:26

URZZZZ Thanks for the summaries

To those who went, did we look like we could compete in the Championship? Do we look more ready than 12 months ago?

No point judging, that wasn’t a team that will ever start a Championship game, it was ridiculously hot and Jose seemed to be tinkering with formations.
The defence was ok, and add some mix of Miazga and Morrison and it will cope pretty well. Not sure the keeper will cope to be honest, I think I’d have stuck with Southwood (is he still at the club ?)
We still lack bite and there’s don’t seem to be too many leaders on the pitch. Lots of people concentrating on their own performances and not too many helping others out. Moore about the only one doing it as far as I could see.
There will be 3 or 4 changes to the team for the Sheffield Wed game and there is a world of difference between a competitive game and a friendly. We have plenty of good players but we lack some key elements. Miazga, Morrison and Adam give us some of those and if we bring in one or two others it will make even more difference.
I think the season could go either way, we could just not gel at all and struggle badly but equally we could find Olise, Loader et al really click and we play some lovely football and win some games (enough to be ok)

Felt91

by Felt91 » 24 Jul 2019 21:41

Have we had anything from Jose in an interview yet? And from a reporter outside the club not a set up one from within the club.

603 posts