Pre season tour

603 posts
Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pre season tour

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 Jul 2019 17:12

Oilroyal Not ideal but I think Walker will start against Wednesday

Bloomin' hope not with that showing.

Virginia's distribution and touch on the ball is so much better than Walker's, and he couldn't do much with that Kenedy shot - wicked bend and dip on it. Yeah, he might/should have got a touch on it but it was a great strike.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2019 17:12

windermereROYAL Really good showing against a top team who probably did all they had to do with a little help from one of our keeper (imo) . looks like the playing out when the ball doesn't need to leave the penalty area from goal kicks might have to be looked at.
Teams are just going to press us as high as it gets.

I`m think the criticism of Virginia is a bit unfair judging on 45 minutes, we all know Walker isn't the answer.

Certainly hard to see how Walker can start against Wednesday having let one straight through his hands and passed another one straight to an unmarked opposition player near the penalty spot.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Jul 2019 17:16

we all hope both keeper can step up this season but after today's showing both look fragile. Still, the team in front of them look as good as I've seen in a long time.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Jul 2019 17:18

I couldn’t get to the game, so watched it on the 5th stand app. Overall I thought we played really well.

Adams looked good on the ball and it was a shame a about Walker’s error for their 4th.

The commentary was obviously biased, although they did pay us 1 or 2 compliments. I think Chelsea might struggle when playing better opposition than our under 23s.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2019 17:21

Neither at the game or watching on a stream, but sounds like a positive display with some poor keeping

I think Virgínia will start, hopefully just finding his feet

Nice to see us score goals though - Nova and Baldock good options on the bench

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2019 17:25

Missed the first half, was it the usual shape and Loader leading the line? If so, how did he do?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jul 2019 17:26

Pretty sure this was how we lined up in the first half

Meite ------ Loader -------Barrett
---------------Barrow-----------------

Barrow up front, Meite on the right, Barrett left and Loader behind the striker. Could be wrong, only caught it on the stream

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2019 17:27

URZZZZ Pretty sure this was how we lined up in the first half

Barrow up front, Meite on the right, Barrett left and Loader behind the striker. Could be wrong, only caught it on the stream

Ok, that would make sense actually.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jul 2019 17:31

Everton would probably have loaned us Virginia on the condition he's the first choice goalie, otherwise he could have stayed there to develop. One mistake leading to a goal in a half won't alter that view, especially when Walker made two mistakes leading to goals. Would be surprised to see Walker in goal against Wednesday

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 28 Jul 2019 17:42

Watched the match vía a stream, pretty good performance, should give the players a bit of confidence. Not sure what the team will be for the first match. Virginia didn't convince but Walker was woeful, so assume the former will start.
Back four pretty much picks itself as Yiadom, Miazga, Moore and Blackett.
Midfield will be Rino and Swift plus one. Probably Adam.
Front three of definately Barrow, probably Meite but not sure as Striker or on the wing. Then not sure if the third place will go to Loader, Baldock, Nova or Olise.
Olise looked decent today and if he doesn't start, will probably be first option off the bench. Barrett also showing that he should be good enough for the Championship.

Surprised that a front three of Barrow, Nova, Meite hasn't been tried pre-season.

I think we desperately another holder or box-to-box type midfielder, as we look short in that area. Not convinced that Ejaria is the sort of midfielder that we need.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Jul 2019 17:44

URZZZZ

Everton would probably have loaned us Virginia on the condition he's the first choice goalie, otherwise he could have stayed there to develop. One mistake leading to a goal in a half won't alter that view, especially when Walker made two mistakes leading to goals. Would be surprised to see Walker in goal against Wednesday

Virginia’s naïve distribution when playing out from the back was his main weakness for me. Maybe I was shocked as I thought he’d be better suited. Their first goal (which should never have been a free kick) was unstoppable but their second Virginia was wrong footed. As I say, I’m not convinced he’ll be our no.1 to start with although I'm not saying Walker is the answer either, but out of the two I’d play Walker next week and work with Virginia some more.

Edit: If you are right and we do have to play Virginia due to contract of loan with Everton, then expect mistakes and easy goals gifted.
Last edited by Oilroyal on 28 Jul 2019 18:09, edited 2 times in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Jul 2019 17:45

Blackett went off injured - didn't see how it happened, but did it look like a bad one?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Jul 2019 17:45

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Pretty sure this was how we lined up in the first half

Ok, that would make sense actually.

The view from Y23 was that Meite and Barrow interchanged up front, Loader seemed more on the right (and less involved). Barrett was definitely on the left, often behind Barrow, and was quite impressive.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Jul 2019 17:49

Still no Obita , he cant be far away surely.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Jul 2019 17:53

Good display going forward but we shot ourselves in the foot playing around at the back and putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

Our central defenders are going to have to be on their game this season if Virginia and Walker are the best we can do as goalkeeping options.

russyb

by russyb » 28 Jul 2019 17:58

Obita was doing some warm up drills before the start of the game, not far away I reckon. Blackett did his hamstring and pulled up pretty quickly.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 28 Jul 2019 18:10

I enjoyed that.

Definitely a tale of 2 halves. We looked more solid and settled 1st half. The 2nd team in the second half looked all too eager to impress and sadly only about 2 or 3 did. I think it's pretty clear who is ready and who isn't. I won't do ratings but I'll give a little write up on each player.

1st Half
Joao - Nothing he could have done with the free kick. I've played in goal and I can tell you it's a keepers nightmare to have a free kick against you dead centre. There is no right or wrong answer to placing the wall. The second goal took a nasty dip and swerve pretty late but he should have been mentally ready for that. Kennedy has a few of those shots in his locker.
Yiadom - Brilliant. Please stay injury free.
McIntyre - Very good. He is 100% ready. So good on the ball too.
Moore - typical performance. Very good.
Blackett - Didn't play long enough.
Richards - he got better as the game went on. I would be happy for him to start if Blackett is still injured.
Barrett - Brilliant. This could be his year. He worked hard, scored a great goal. He got a little cocky with the ball on occasion when he jinked past a couple and should have passed it but hopefully he will learn.
Rino - Did what he does best. Chasing a shadows a couple times but he's pretty much doing the defensive work on his own.
Swift. - He's so 50/50 it's unreal. Doesn't offer anything defensively but when he did get the ball it progressed from defense to attack very quickly. Something we've missed under previous managers.
Barrow - Not a fan today. A couple of powerful runs but that was it.
Meite - Offers a presence up front but didn't do much. Had one header that went miles over.
Loader - All over the pitch. Did OK. One header off the post and a decent shot. Better than Meite.

2nd half. I felt that the team were told to audition for a start on Saturday as we were completely out of shape for 20mins.

Walker - ROFL, LOL, LMAO.
Howe - Tries hard (which I know is a winning trait for a lot of you :lol:) He's somewhat limited. He needs a loan out for the season.
Watson - I felt the Right side was a little safer with him playing. Not by much but enough.
Morrison - Good goal. Looked OK at the back in a ragged defence.
Miazga - A couple of good interceptions. Too late for him to start.
Richards - One of the better players. Did you see that tackle he made to stop Chelsea in the clear. Amazing.
East - I felt he's regressed a bit. Not ready for this league or league 1. He needs a season in League 2.
Adam - I like him. Smooth passing (apart from that one to Walker). He can't tackle but alongside a mobile Cm he will do well for us.
Holsgrove - I felt sorry for him. He's a Cm playing left wing. He did OK tbf but I think he would benefit from a loan out in Cm.
Olise - DAAAAAmn. He needs to start. Skills to the pay bills. He gave some top defenders a torrid time. Great assist and was unlucky not to score.
Baldock - He played really well. Good start and finish for his goal. I can see him forcing his way into Gomes plans a lot more if he plays like that all the time.
Nova - For those that haven't seen him play before he is the sort of casual looking player who springs to life when the ball is at his feet. He did well to win the corner that led to Morrisons goal and made a couple of nice flicks. He should have buried that turn and shot though. He'll be disappointed not to hit the target. I don't think he will play much sadly.

Overall, I thought we gave Chelsea a good show. They will struggle to stay in the top 4 this season for sure. We desperately need more cover in CM as just having Swift, Rino and Adam is not enough. I would also look to sign an experienced keeper too!

Out of the youngsters I would say Barrett, Olise, Loader, Richards, Nova, Watson and McIntyre are the only ones ready for the 1st team. The others need a season loan in League 2. As for Saturday here is who I think will play. Ive assumed Blackett is Injured.

..............................Joao........................
Yiadom..McIntyre..Moore...Richards
...................Swift.....Rino.................
Olise.............Loader..............Barrett..
................... Meite...............

Subs: Andresson, Morrison, Baldock, Adam, Barrow, Watson, Nova.

Sorry but I can not be arsed to do ratings for all of those guys.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Jul 2019 18:22

Ranty McRantface I enjoyed that.

Definitely a tale of 2 halves. We looked more solid and settled 1st half. The 2nd team in the second half looked all too eager to impress and sadly only about 2 or 3 did. I think it's pretty clear who is ready and who isn't. I won't do ratings but I'll give a little write up on each player.

1st Half
Joao - Nothing he could have done with the free kick. I've played in goal and I can tell you it's a keepers nightmare to have a free kick against you dead centre. There is no right or wrong answer to placing the wall. The second goal took a nasty dip and swerve pretty late but he should have been mentally ready for that. Kennedy has a few of those shots in his locker.
Yiadom - Brilliant. Please stay injury free.
McIntyre - Very good. He is 100% ready. So good on the ball too.
Moore - typical performance. Very good.
Blackett - Didn't play long enough.
Richards - he got better as the game went on. I would be happy for him to start if Blackett is still injured.
Barrett - Brilliant. This could be his year. He worked hard, scored a great goal. He got a little cocky with the ball on occasion when he jinked past a couple and should have passed it but hopefully he will learn.
Rino - Did what he does best. Chasing a shadows a couple times but he's pretty much doing the defensive work on his own.
Swift. - He's so 50/50 it's unreal. Doesn't offer anything defensively but when he did get the ball it progressed from defense to attack very quickly. Something we've missed under previous managers.
Barrow - Not a fan today. A couple of powerful runs but that was it.
Meite - Offers a presence up front but didn't do much. Had one header that went miles over.
Loader - All over the pitch. Did OK. One header off the post and a decent shot. Better than Meite.

2nd half. I felt that the team were told to audition for a start on Saturday as we were completely out of shape for 20mins.

Walker - ROFL, LOL, LMAO.
Howe - Tries hard (which I know is a winning trait for a lot of you :lol:) He's somewhat limited. He needs a loan out for the season.
Watson - I felt the Right side was a little safer with him playing. Not by much but enough.
Morrison - Good goal. Looked OK at the back in a ragged defence.
Miazga - A couple of good interceptions. Too late for him to start.
Richards - One of the better players. Did you see that tackle he made to stop Chelsea in the clear. Amazing.
East - I felt he's regressed a bit. Not ready for this league or league 1. He needs a season in League 2.
Adam - I like him. Smooth passing (apart from that one to Walker). He can't tackle but alongside a mobile Cm he will do well for us.
Holsgrove - I felt sorry for him. He's a Cm playing left wing. He did OK tbf but I think he would benefit from a loan out in Cm.
Olise - DAAAAAmn. He needs to start. Skills to the pay bills. He gave some top defenders a torrid time. Great assist and was unlucky not to score.
Baldock - He played really well. Good start and finish for his goal. I can see him forcing his way into Gomes plans a lot more if he plays like that all the time.
Nova - For those that haven't seen him play before he is the sort of casual looking player who springs to life when the ball is at his feet. He did well to win the corner that led to Morrisons goal and made a couple of nice flicks. He should have buried that turn and shot though. He'll be disappointed not to hit the target. I don't think he will play much sadly.

Overall, I thought we gave Chelsea a good show. They will struggle to stay in the top 4 this season for sure. We desperately need more cover in CM as just having Swift, Rino and Adam is not enough. I would also look to sign an experienced keeper too!

Out of the youngsters I would say Barrett, Olise, Loader, Richards, Nova, Watson and McIntyre are the only ones ready for the 1st team. The others need a season loan in League 2. As for Saturday here is who I think will play. Ive assumed Blackett is Injured.

..............................Joao........................
Yiadom..McIntyre..Moore...Richards
...................Swift.....Rino.................
Olise.............Loader..............Barrett..
................... Meite...............

Subs: Andresson, Morrison, Baldock, Adam, Barrow, Watson, Nova.

Sorry but I can not be arsed to do ratings for all of those guys.

Interesting team for next week with Miazga involved. don't think there is any way him or Morrison won`t start.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Jul 2019 18:25

Very positive performance I thought, and without some weak goalkeeping we could well have beat a near enough full strength Chelsea (who I think are going to really struggle this season based on that)

Most of the key points have already been made but wanted to highlight that Olise is pure class and for me should be ahead of Loader in the queue for the RW spot they both played today, and also I was really impressed by Charlie Adam who slotted in very nicely to the midfield and was spraying the ball around for fun. Alongside the athleticism of Rino he could well be a big player for us this season. Seemed to be in good shape and well up for it as well which is a positive.

Need a few additions over the next few days but I can see us competing quite nicely based on that.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 28 Jul 2019 18:40

Good to see some goals. Baldock took his goal well.

Think we need a 'proper' CF as none of the current squad appear to have the stature to lead the line.

Olise could be great.

I'm not sure what I'm not seeing with Loader or Nova... they both seem lightweight to me.

There's enough there with a few more additions to have a half decent season

603 posts