CONFIMRED - Ovie Ejaria

250 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Ovie Ejaria

by Hound » 31 Jul 2019 14:28

WestYorksRoyal
WestYorksRoyal Silence on Ejaria to Brentford, even though Sawyers gone. Could they have lost interest? Clutching at straws?

Still silence. I honestly think if Liverpool don't get a better offer by deadline day they'll accept our offer of loan with option to buy next year.

yep probably right there

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 31 Jul 2019 14:39

He clearly wants to come back here. If he turns/turned down the Brentford move then Liverpool can't make him move. 3m will make no difference to them in reality and letting him come here on loan with a view to permanent will be the next best option for them.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Aug 2019 16:34

Hound
WestYorksRoyal
WestYorksRoyal Silence on Ejaria to Brentford, even though Sawyers gone. Could they have lost interest? Clutching at straws?

Still silence. I honestly think if Liverpool don't get a better offer by deadline day they'll accept our offer of loan with option to buy next year.

yep probably right there

Shirley Brentford are playing the same waiting game to tempt them with, say, £2m

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2019 18:32

https://www.westlondonsport.com/brentfo ... med-050819

Brentford have bought another midfielder from Southend, and got a new winger in. Have they found alternatives to Ejaria? Could we still be the only ticket in town?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 19:24

Dunno but they are flush with 20 million notes from selling Maupay to our friends from brighton

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Aug 2019 10:12

Gomes has said that a midfielder will be coming in this week and if it is him I would be happy-not that my happiness is the main concern of RFC-and he is a step up from Barrett and Loader in midfield.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2019 10:16

Victor Meldrew Gomes has said that a midfielder will be coming in this week and if it is him I would be happy-not that my happiness is the main concern of RFC-and he is a step up from Barrett and Loader in midfield.

Would like to see him back but he’d be another option in an area we already have lots of options. Need the midfielder to fill the obvious defensive gap.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 12:56

Victor Meldrew Gomes has said that a midfielder will be coming in this week and if it is him I would be happy-not that my happiness is the main concern of RFC-and he is a step up from Barrett and Loader in midfield.

Barrett's only really played wide for the first team and Loader plays AM or wide or upfront. We have endless options at AM, so if we're bringing in any midfielder, Ejaria included, one would hope it is to play deeper where we are actually stretched for options.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Aug 2019 13:16

Snowflake Royal

Barrett's only really played wide for the first team and Loader plays AM or wide or upfront. We have endless options at AM, so if we're bringing in any midfielder, Ejaria included, one would hope it is to play deeper where we are actually stretched for options.

I find it interesting that fans seem to want to categorise midfielders.
IMHO midfielders should be able to do the lot, i.e. defend when necessary, attack when necessary and cover when other midfielders attack.
We already have Rino as one that appears less creative but more reliable defensively than the others and I felt that Ejaria was also quite capable of defending as well as attacking.

Look at the good teams in Liverpool, City and Chelsea.
None of them play with a midfielder that solely has defensive duties.
Henderson/Milner and Fabinho all surge forward as well as chase back when necessary
Same goes for Fernadinho and Rodri
Same goes for Kante and Jorginho.
I see Ejaria as the second similar all-action midfielder along with Rino whereas in Swift, Loader, Barrett and Olise we have players that offer little defensively.

Complications arise of course if a manager wants to play with two wingers but so far , unless it is because of the players that are currently on the books, Gomes doesn't play that way and on Saturday he was let down by none of Barrett, Loader or Swift getting forward enough in support of the front two.
I think a lot of our players are generally lazy, both physically and mentally-they all need to do more and concentrate for the full 90 minutes.

Gomes will indeed have numbers in midfield but if Pele and/or Ejaria arrives it means that Barrett and Loader will drop out especially if Adam plays and, in line with the thinking of most on here, it looks as though Olise offers more than these other two young players who would probably benefit from a season at somewhere like Oxford.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 06 Aug 2019 14:17

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal

I find it interesting that fans seem to want to categorise midfielders.
IMHO midfielders should be able to do the lot, i.e. defend when necessary, attack when necessary and cover when other midfielders attack.
We already have Rino as one that appears less creative but more reliable defensively than the others and I felt that Ejaria was also quite capable of defending as well as attacking.

Look at the good teams in Liverpool, City and Chelsea.
None of them play with a midfielder that solely has defensive duties.
Henderson/Milner and Fabinho all surge forward as well as chase back when necessary
Same goes for Fernadinho and Rodri
Same goes for Kante and Jorginho.
I see Ejaria as the second similar all-action midfielder along with Rino whereas in Swift, Loader, Barrett and Olise we have players that offer little defensively.

Complications arise of course if a manager wants to play with two wingers but so far , unless it is because of the players that are currently on the books, Gomes doesn't play that way and on Saturday he was let down by none of Barrett, Loader or Swift getting forward enough in support of the front two.
I think a lot of our players are generally lazy, both physically and mentally-they all need to do more and concentrate for the full 90 minutes.

Gomes will indeed have numbers in midfield but if Pele and/or Ejaria arrives it means that Barrett and Loader will drop out especially if Adam plays and, in line with the thinking of most on here, it looks as though Olise offers more than these other two young players who would probably benefit from a season at somewhere like Oxford.

I am with you on this, midfielders and wonder if its a generational thing and the way we seem to categorize everything by stats these days and then use letters to pigeon hole them as DM AM etc.. IMHO Midfielders by definition defend and attack and you balance the midfield out to give you a threat on both flanks and creativity through the middle but also with enough cover to protect the defence. If you look at the great Liverpool team of the 80's.. They had midfielders who could break the play up, put their foot in etc.. but they could also score goals.. No one ever pigeon holed them and said he's a defensive midfielder or an attacking one, My mind quickly goes to Ronnie Whelan, probably a deeper midfielder for Liverpool than say a McDermott but he could create and score wonderful goals... How would you label him these days. To call him a DM would have being hugely disrespectful to the other sides of his game, but equally he never played as an out and out attacking midfielder sat just behind the strikers..

Just think sometimes its easy to pigeon hole players as being DM and AM and then look at a squad and say we have not enough of one or the other...

Do we think someone like Charlie Adam made it in professional football until he is 33 without being able to defend or have a shot..

Not singling any one persons comment out about midfield positions or Charlie Adam but I just find it interesting how we seem to view the midfield these days compared to days past...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 16:17

Generally speaking, when you compare players, it makes sense to compare like for like in role for team.

Neither Loader nor Barrett are really midfielders, both are more forwards, at least how they play for the first team.

If we sign Ejaria it's not going to be to compete with Barrett and Loader IMO. And their roles are not where we need more cover or competition.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 06 Aug 2019 16:41

Snowflake Royal Generally speaking, when you compare players, it makes sense to compare like for like in role for team.

Neither Loader nor Barrett are really midfielders, both are more forwards, at least how they play for the first team.

If we sign Ejaria it's not going to be to compete with Barrett and Loader IMO. And their roles are not where we need more cover or competition.

Did you watch the game on Saturday?

Loader was clearly operating in midfield and, not very well I hasten to add.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Ovie Ej

by Zip » 06 Aug 2019 16:48

ayjaydee
Snowflake Royal Generally speaking, when you compare players, it makes sense to compare like for like in role for team.

I have always thought of him as a forward. I feel an awful lot is being asked of him and it’s not going to help his development.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2019 17:48

ayjaydee

I did. He was operating somewhere between wide right and the No 10 slot. I thought more No 10, others were fairly emphatic it was wide right.

The point being, that No 10 attacking midfield slot is where we have a lot of options already, it's the role partnering Rino we have to be looking at where we have Swift, who is a No 10 and Adam, who is unlikely to play 90 minutes regularly

If Ejaria is coming, and to compete with Loader, we're making a big mistake.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Aug 2019 18:56

Victor Meldrew I find it interesting that fans seem to want to categorise midfielders.

Cape Town Royal Just think sometimes its easy to pigeon hole players as being DM and AM and then look at a squad and say we have not enough of one or the other...and how we seem to view the midfield these days compared to days past...

Very good points. Good observations and references of tendencies, both current and of yesteryear.
I have no problem holding my hands up and conceding that I can be as guilty as many with the over-use of 'labels'.
Anyway, good posts.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 06 Aug 2019 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Aug 2019 19:22

Admittedly from Youtube, but Boye looks a similar player to Ejaria, with perhaps more tenacity.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Aug 2019 19:43

Platypuss Admittedly from Youtube, but Boye looks a similar player to Ejaria, with perhaps more tenacity.

How does his spirit and flair look?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Aug 2019 21:05

Denver Royal
Victor Meldrew I find it interesting that fans seem to want to categorise midfielders.

Cape Town Royal Just think sometimes its easy to pigeon hole players as being DM and AM and then look at a squad and say we have not enough of one or the other...and how we seem to view the midfield these days compared to days past...

Very good points. Good observations and references of tendencies, both current and of yesteryear.
I have no problem holding my hands up and conceding that I can be as guilty as many with the over-use of 'labels'.
Anyway, good posts.

Well yes but it depends on the balance of the midfield doesn’t it?

If you have 3 rather attacking players that don’t really tackle / get into defensive positions then yes you do need a more defensive midfielder.

This has been us kind of for about 6 years.

NotARacist

by NotARacist » 07 Aug 2019 07:46

Pepe the Horseman
Platypuss Admittedly from Youtube, but Boye looks a similar player to Ejaria, with perhaps more tenacity.

How does his spirit and flair look?

Great question. Unbelievable it went unanswered.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Aug 2019 07:51

Would imagine this one is now not going to happen.

250 posts