Relegation watch

Brain Traysers

Re: Relegation watch

by Brain Traysers » 04 Jul 2019 21:46

Zip I wasn’t impressed with Bristol City at all last season and thought their League position flattered them. I think they may be near the bottom in the coming season.
At the moment our squad looks weak but will await to see what happens over the next five weeks before making any prediction.

They have done some really good transfer business already - I think they will challenge for playoffs. Getting Kalas permanently was solid, and Dasilva is a coup. Bentley wasn't fantastic at Brentford but is solid at this level and looked to have a huge future when he was at Southend, while Szmodics has been tearing up League 2 for a couple of years. Lots of smart signings at really good ages

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jul 2019 23:02

Zip I wasn’t impressed with Bristol City at all last season and thought their League position flattered them. I think they may be near the bottom in the coming season.
At the moment our squad looks weak but will await to see what happens over the next five weeks before making any prediction.

Bristol are a team that plays well when they have space to play into. When a team comes and sits back against them, they’re not good enough to break them down. However a decent winger and a good attaching midfielder and that may chance. They also seem to go on swings regularly, they could easily win 8 in a row and then go 8 winless. If they can sort out consistency, I’d fancy them top 6

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jul 2019 23:45

The Enfield Royal71 I'm not too optimistic. A thread to monitor us and those around us/the bottom 8. I have a sneaky feeling we will be right in the thick of things again so here we go! I think some of the teams who will be fighting off relegation with us:

Ha, one thing about realism/pessimism this off-season is that people are so well grounded going in, such that if we struggle there will be perspective.
At least we may not be subjected to those pointless and negative Clement-record comparisons (on a Sat afternoon, minutes after the final whistle, no less).
Or being told yet again that ‘Clement was unlucky to be fired when he was’.
Yep, reckon I’m starting to feel a little more positive about this season already :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 06:28

Though still far less pointless and negative than writing another post solely to criticise (inevitably unnamed) other posters :wink:

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 05 Jul 2019 09:22

earleypr 16 Blackburn I think they'll be OK but not expecting much from them this season.
17 Hull: They've got players like Bowen and Grosicki that can keep them up, or be sold on to make room for new investments.
18 Charlton: Hard to say but I think they've got the goals in them to stay up.
19 Luton: Interested to see what they'll do, for me they're the most likely dark horse on this list.
20 Millwall: Don't see any signs of them making real progression.
21 QPR: They look like they're slowly downgrading the quality of their team much. Based on current squad I'd be concerned.
22 Barnsley: I think they've sold some key players and it could be a struggle, but they're a bit of an unknown for me.
23 Wigan: Currently I'd say they look weaker than last season. Not many players I'd take for the Reading team.
24 Reading: Not trying to be negative, as it stands though it doesn't look good. They'll have little to spend even if they sell the players they're letting go. I'm hoping a few youth players will emerge and Danny Loader will have a big season. Plus a few good loans could change everything.

Preston and Brentford often seem to get thrown into the mix by pundits but I think they're better than all of these. Surprise contenders could be Forest or Swansea for me, but I'm not expecting major shocks toward the bottom this year.

Agree with you on Reading. Not sure where some of the optimism is coming from. We just survived with 5 great loanees. At best maybe one to return. No money to spend and weighed down by a load of senior professionals that will be sitting out their contracts and with the threat of points deduction hanging over us. Only positives are Gomez and young players coming through but doubt the will be enough

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 09:40

I think the senior pros will be out of the way and probably gone by August. They are all good lads, just don't fit into the plan and a victim of circumstance. Seen nothing to believe that Bod, Gunter or McCleary would be happy sitting in the U23s picking up a wage. Both Meyler and McNulty dropped a level to play last year, and will likely do so again. How much money Reading get from any sales is likely to be pretty low though

I reckon we'll be able to get in 3-4 loans. We built up some goodwill last year with Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea I expect, and I'm sure there will be deals to be done.

The biggest challenge that I see is for the U23 lads to step up. I'm not sure Richards, Barrett, Smith or Watson have it in them to be championship players. Loader and Olise are very young, though looked good generally. Nova is unproven in the champ. Osho and McIntyre I have high hopes for, but have played 1 champ game. They could either come in and be good, or sink pretty quickly.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 09:42

paddy20
earleypr 16 Blackburn I think they'll be OK but not expecting much from them this season.
17 Hull: They've got players like Bowen and Grosicki that can keep them up, or be sold on to make room for new investments.
19 Luton: Interested to see what they'll do, for me they're the most likely dark horse on this list.
21 QPR: They look like they're slowly downgrading the quality of their team much. Based on current squad I'd be concerned.
22 Barnsley: I think they've sold some key players and it could be a struggle, but they're a bit of an unknown for me.
23 Wigan: Currently I'd say they look weaker than last season. Not many players I'd take for the Reading team.
24 Reading: Not trying to be negative, as it stands though it doesn't look good. They'll have little to spend even if they sell the players they're letting go. I'm hoping a few youth players will emerge and Danny Loader will have a big season. Plus a few good loans could change everything.

Preston and Brentford often seem to get thrown into the mix by pundits but I think they're better than all of these. Surprise contenders could be Forest or Swansea for me, but I'm not expecting major shocks toward the bottom this year.

Agree with you on Reading. Not sure where some of the optimism is coming from. We just survived with 5 great loanees. At best maybe one to return. No money to spend and weighed down by a load of senior professionals that will be sitting out their contracts and with the threat of points deduction hanging over us. Only positives are Gomez and young players coming through but doubt the will be enough

Where is this threat of a points deduction? I must've missed the FA confirming they were looking into us? :roll:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2019 09:52

Hendo
paddy20

Where is this threat of a points deduction? I must've missed the FA confirming they were looking into us? :roll:

Dont respond to anyone who cant spell our managers name correctly. Its Atkins all over again.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 09:55

NewCorkSeth
Hendo
paddy20

Dont respond to anyone who cant spell our managers name correctly. Its Atkins all over again.

Didn't even realise that. smh.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Jul 2019 10:21

I’m torn on whether being reliant on loanees is a sensible or risky strategy.

Financially sensible but get the wrong types in (John & Piazon spring to mind) and we’re down

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 05 Jul 2019 10:26

earleypr
......23 Wigan: ...........

24 Reading.......

Not trying to be negative

lol

earleypr

by earleypr » 05 Jul 2019 10:43

NewCorkSeth

What would you trying to be negative look like?

Me being negative would be me saying that Reading are going down. Which I'm not. I'm saying that on paper right now ("as it stands") they look like they're in a weaker position than most if not all of the other teams on this list.

Things can change quickly and the table rarely works out exactly as you'd expect, and actually I'm aware of the positives (good manager, players coming through, potential loans, squad clear-out). I just think that at this moment in time they have a lot of work to do. Hopefully over the next few weeks things will improve.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 10:55

Hound I think the senior pros will be out of the way and probably gone by August. They are all good lads, just don't fit into the plan and a victim of circumstance. Seen nothing to believe that Bod, Gunter or McCleary would be happy sitting in the U23s picking up a wage. Both Meyler and McNulty dropped a level to play last year, and will likely do so again. How much money Reading get from any sales is likely to be pretty low though

I reckon we'll be able to get in 3-4 loans. We built up some goodwill last year with Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea I expect, and I'm sure there will be deals to be done.

The biggest challenge that I see is for the U23 lads to step up. I'm not sure Richards, Barrett, Smith or Watson have it in them to be championship players. Loader and Olise are very young, though looked good generally. Nova is unproven in the champ. Osho and McIntyre I have high hopes for, but have played 1 champ game. They could either come in and be good, or sink pretty quickly.

McIntyre has played two :wink:

I can see Richards moving up to LW and I can see him being a decent option there. As a LB, I don’t think he’ll make it, but time will tell

Watson I’m not optimistic about, he looked a cracking player originally but a below average loan at Wimbledon is making me reconsider

Barrett would make a good rotation option I think, but in the first XI each week, I’m not sure

Smith was talked about by fans last year about a possible option for the XI and people were surprised we loaned him out. Two miserable loans later and the majority want him gone. But I don’t think he’s great anyway

Loader and Olise will go far IMO

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 10:57

NewCorkSeth
Hendo
paddy20

I can’t wait for Gomez to play Novakovick up front with Olivera, dedly duo

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 11:01

just a shame McLeary will no longer be supplying the crosses

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 11:04

Hound Though still far less pointless and negative than writing another post solely to criticise (inevitably unnamed) other posters :wink:

I'm glad someone else has noticed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 11:06

Hound I think the senior pros will be out of the way and probably gone by August. They are all good lads, just don't fit into the plan and a victim of circumstance. Seen nothing to believe that Bod, Gunter or McCleary would be happy sitting in the U23s picking up a wage. Both Meyler and McNulty dropped a level to play last year, and will likely do so again. How much money Reading get from any sales is likely to be pretty low though

One thing seems very certain. Whilst some may swim, we can't realistically expect that to be 50% let alone all of them.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 12:01

Snowflake Royal
Hound Though still far less pointless and negative than writing another post solely to criticise (inevitably unnamed) other posters :wink:

Well, to be fair, most are aimed at you :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 12:16

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Well, to be fair, most are aimed at you :lol:

yes despite them becoming great friends just recently, it does seem to be the case. Mind you, I'm pretty sure at least a few are aimed my way, though when it’s addressed to ‘some on here’ or ‘folks’ you never really know do you?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 12:48

Hendo
paddy20

We're very open about being close to FFP and needing to cut costs. The simplest glance at our last two years' accounts supports this.

We're open about having been in a soft transfer embargo.

If we breach FFP = points deduction. Pretty simple.