CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

124 posts
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

by Oilroyal » 30 Jul 2019 16:29

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ekg4v

I must have watched this 20 times since Sunday and still can’t see the deflection however, as I said in all my posts, it’s his risky, rushed play-out distribution that concerned me on Sunday not the goals. I was expecting him to be more composed, but maybe home-debut nerves got the better of him. Doesn’t make him a bad keeper. He's young and he’s Everton’s project that we’ve been intrusted to develop over a season hopefully with us benefiting in the process.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 17:08

Oilroyal https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ekg4v

I must have watched this 20 times since Sunday and still can’t see the deflection however, as I said in all my posts, it’s his risky, rushed play-out distribution that concerned me on Sunday not the goals. I was expecting him to be more composed, but maybe home-debut nerves got the better of him. Doesn’t make him a bad keeper. He's young and he’s Everton’s project that we’ve been intrusted to develop over a season hopefully with us benefiting in the process.

Shocking if it was home debut nerves. You would think by Sunday he would have got over Wednesday’s game.....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 17:10

Old Man Andrews Based on what I have seen of both keepers in pre season I would have kept Southwood personally. Had a full season in a successful team in 2018/19 and clearly had talent. It is as the very least baffling that Walker is seemingly going to be the number 2 rather than him. Walker should have been shipped off as soon as the season ended for me, total liability.

We still have Southwood don’t we ?
But I agree, I’d be telling him to stick around.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Jul 2019 17:38

Nameless

Shocking if it was home debut nerves. You would think by Sunday he would have got over Wednesday’s game.....

Slightly different occasion in a half empty stadium against POSH compared to a near full stadium against Chelsea .. but I take your point, his debut was against Posh and he let 2 soft goals in. Our keepers will be the weak link this season.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 30 Jul 2019 17:58

Oh dear.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jul 2019 18:02

Oilroyal
Nameless

Slightly different occasion in a half empty stadium against POSH compared to a near full stadium against Chelsea .. but I take your point, his debut was against Posh and he let 2 soft goals in. Our keepers will be the weak link this season.

So how were the 2 posh goals soft? a tap in from 6 yards and a good shot from the edge right into the corner. maybe you have issues with him but dont make up rubbish that is untrue.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 18:08

windermereROYAL
Oilroyal
Nameless

So how were the 2 posh goals soft? a tap in from 6 yards and a good shot from the edge right into the corner. maybe you have issues with him but dont make up rubbish that is untrue.

I was scratching my head to work out how Posh scored 2 soft goals, neither were the fault of the keeper.
Still if your home debut is defined as your second game then I guess goals you weren’t to blame for must be your fault !
I agree there are concerns over the keeper spot but let’s be objective. Joao hasn’t actually done much wrong , he’s just not looked like a dominant rock to anchor our defence. But then he’s a 19 year old kid at the start of his senior career.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Jul 2019 18:29

Nameless
windermereROYAL
Oilroyal

I was scratching my head to work out how Posh scored 2 soft goals, neither were the fault of the keeper.
Still if your home debut is defined as your second game then I guess goals you weren’t to blame for must be your fault !
I agree there are concerns over the keeper spot but let’s be objective. Joao hasn’t actually done much wrong , he’s just not looked like a dominant rock to anchor our defence. But then he’s a 19 year old kid at the start of his senior career.

100%

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jul 2019 21:17

Oilroyal
Nameless
windermereROYAL

100%

He is young and inexperienced so will make a load of mistakes. It’s how he reacts and how quickly he learns that will show whether he’s got what it takes. Trouble is I don’t know how much “slack” he’ll be given by some. Personally not exactly impressed with the decision to bring him in but will not get on his back just because he does drop a ricket (unless it’s the same ricket over and over). Just maybe it might work out but it’s a tall order imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2019 21:24

Jordan Pickford was a similar sort of age when he went on loan to Preston and was outstanding (though he had another loan in the FL first). Also not a tall keeper

It can happen but it’s a risk certainly

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Jul 2019 01:59

Nameless
windermereROYAL
Oilroyal

Still if your home debut is defined as your second game then I guess goals you weren’t to blame for must be your fault ! Yep

Yep, 19 yr old kid. Just so happens, this club needs him to have big year. We’ll find out.

Tekkers

by Tekkers » 10 Aug 2019 17:14

It’s been a long time since I watched a keeper as bad as this chap. He doesn’t command his area and he appears to have no wrist muscles! His pre-season and opening two games give me no confidence at all, and it can’t be any different for the four men in front of him on match days. Warnock will be telling his bully boys to take as many shots as possible next Saturday.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Aug 2019 19:34

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Aug 2019 11:38

Snowball https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tough-battle-already-facing-everton-16780141

We might as well send him back. Isn’t going to dislodge Rafael and if we’re going to use a child to warm the bench I’d rather we just put SBC there tbh.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Aug 2019 11:29

John Smith Alright then, seeing as everyone is too scared to say it I will. Clearly not good enough, as expected. No experience, no composure, completely the wrong decision to give him the number one spot at a Championship club. We aren't in League 2 where players can just use us for experience. As for Sam Walker's 'display' in the second half, I don't think I've seen a worse performance since one of the many Al Habsi flap-fests. Gomes needs to wake up and get a proper keeper in this week and stop messing around.

This post aged well. Pat on the back Jose - I've seen other managers walk out of stubborness in similar situations

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Dec 2019 14:28

Latest interview says Everton want Virginia back (I for one will volunteer to drive him back to scouseland and make sure he bloody stays there). I don't know whether Bowen was just being kind in saying Everton wanted him back or we were being polite and saying "please take him back he f*cking useless", but the boss says we are looking for a replacement when the transfer window opens, or to bring back Southwood from Hamilton who is doing well up there apparently.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Dec 2019 15:16

I'm down for Christmas. I can give him a lift back before the New Year.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Dec 2019 16:25

Ascotexgunner Latest interview says Everton want Virginia back (I for one will volunteer to drive him back to scouseland and make sure he bloody stays there). I don't know whether Bowen was just being kind in saying Everton wanted him back or we were being polite and saying "please take him back he f*cking useless", but the boss says we are looking for a replacement when the transfer window opens, or to bring back Southwood from Hamilton who is doing well up there apparently.

Would bring Southwood back - can't be worse than Virginia as 3rd choice - and has only just begun starting games for Hamilton

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2019 17:56

3points
Ascotexgunner Latest interview says Everton want Virginia back (I for one will volunteer to drive him back to scouseland and make sure he bloody stays there). I don't know whether Bowen was just being kind in saying Everton wanted him back or we were being polite and saying "please take him back he f*cking useless", but the boss says we are looking for a replacement when the transfer window opens, or to bring back Southwood from Hamilton who is doing well up there apparently.

Would bring Southwood back - can't be worse than Virginia as 3rd choice - and has only just begun starting games for Hamilton

Yep. I'd give him the FA Cup games too.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Jul 2020 02:10

One year ago we had this fella down as our no 1, thank god for Rafael. Have to say I still don’t understand why we thought relying on a 19 year old keeper was a good idea. I still think within 5 years time he’ll be challenging for a Portugal spot, but his age really showed badly for us.

124 posts