CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

124 posts
The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

by The Enfield Royal71 » 29 Jul 2019 22:52

I think we are going through our Man united-esque post schmeichal stage.

We have just had a constant stream of shite goalkeepers

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2019 07:58

The Enfield Royal71 I think we are going through our Man united-esque post schmeichal stage.

So Virginia is our De Gea then? Signed young and looked out of his depth at first before his talent shone through?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Jul 2019 07:59

Stranded
The Enfield Royal71 I think we are going through our Man united-esque post schmeichal stage.

So Virginia is our De Gea then? Signed young and looked out of his depth at first before his talent shone through?

I dont know yet. He could be de gea or taibi.

One87One

by One87One » 30 Jul 2019 08:26

I watched the ten minutes highlights again last night and I can’t help but lack confidence in Virginia. He’s got weak wrists and slow reactions. I can see a season of chopping and changing between him and the useless Walker.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2019 09:31

He only has to last until January. Then CBC will be ready..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jul 2019 09:41

One87One I watched the ten minutes highlights again last night and I can’t help but lack confidence in Virginia. He’s got weak wrists and slow reactions. I can see a season of chopping and changing between him and the useless Walker.

So did I, but all you see from that is one shot which was blazed over the bar and both goals, so I don't think it is a great showcase of his abilities.

The freekick is a) unstoppable and b) he takes a step to his left and you just aren't recovering from that, happens to every 'keeper.

The second goal is a decent hit, dips and is always going away from him. I am not sure you would get a similar type goal from most Championship players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2019 13:14

Hendo
One87One I watched the ten minutes highlights again last night and I can’t help but lack confidence in Virginia. He’s got weak wrists and slow reactions. I can see a season of chopping and changing between him and the useless Walker.

So did I, but all you see from that is one shot which was blazed over the bar and both goals, so I don't think it is a great showcase of his abilities.

The freekick is a) unstoppable and b) he takes a step to his left and you just aren't recovering from that, happens to every 'keeper.

The second goal is a decent hit, dips and is always going away from him. I am not sure you would get a similar type goal from most Championship players.

Not impressed with (I think) the second, he goes the wrong way, if he doesn't it's a routine save. He incorrectly anticipates where it's going rather than actually tracking the shot.

Agree with others he 'looks' small too.

I am yet to be impressed by him. Early days though.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Jul 2019 13:19

Hendo The second goal is a decent hit, dips and is always going away from him. I am not sure you would get a similar type goal from most Championship players.

It also took a significant deflection - it was going centrally off his boot.

Edit: also for Ian's benefit.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jul 2019 13:27

Platypuss
Hendo The second goal is a decent hit, dips and is always going away from him. I am not sure you would get a similar type goal from most Championship players.

I was surprised too by the implosion on here saying it was a soft goal to let in, many PL keepers would have beaten by that one too.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 30 Jul 2019 13:39

windermereROYAL
Platypuss

I was surprised too by the implosion on here saying it was a soft goal to let in, many PL keepers would have beaten by that one too.

I was sat literally behind that goal - I heard it deflect, but the bloke sitting next to me was convinced it was all technique. Nothing Virginia could do with it - it was goal bound the moment it left someone elses thigh :)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jul 2019 13:47

Since when ?
I thought Martinez was pretty decent.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 30 Jul 2019 13:49

Nameless

Since when ?
I thought Martinez was pretty decent.

He was our best keeper by a long way and even then he wasn't great.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2019 13:52

Platypuss

Didn't spot the deflection in the highlights, thanks platy.

No clear errors then for him. Just nothing I've seen yet very inspiring.

Walker started the preseason well, but was a catastrophe against Chelsea.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2019 14:25

Based on what I have seen of both keepers in pre season I would have kept Southwood personally. Had a full season in a successful team in 2018/19 and clearly had talent. It is as the very least baffling that Walker is seemingly going to be the number 2 rather than him. Walker should have been shipped off as soon as the season ended for me, total liability.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Jul 2019 14:48

My comments on here during Sunday’s game wasn’t directly made because the 2 goals Virginia let in; it was about Virginia being our weakest link in the starting eleven.

Their first goal from the freekick was unstoppable and the second, although the ball took a deflection Virginia’s body position meant that he was wrong footed, easy error to make and it was a well struck ball.

My main concern with Virginia was the short passing out to our back-four. He looked uncomfortable, looked too rushed when under no pressure at all and played risky short passes when Chelsea players were only feet away from our receiving defender. This was putting us under pressure just outside of our own box. This happened 2 or 3 times in the first 20 minutes. You don’t get to see this watching the highlights you only get to see the goals.

I watched the game on Chelsea’s 5th stand app on my iPad. The picture quality was as clear as day with decent action replays.

Out of the pre-season games that I watched, I think Walker has done the better of the two keepers so far although, gifting Mount his second was a mistake that I worry about as both him and Virginia look as though they’ll both be guilty of this type of error early season.

Work to be done with both keeper before Saturday’s match.

Maybe the best save of the game was when Adam made a fierce backpass chest height at Walker :o

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2019 15:15

Oilroyal My comments on here during Sunday’s game wasn’t directly made because the 2 goals Virginia let in; it was about Virginia being our weakest link in the starting eleven.

Their first goal from the freekick was unstoppable and the second, although the ball took a deflection Virginia’s body position meant that he was wrong footed, easy error to make and it was a well struck ball.

My main concern with Virginia was the short passing out to our back-four. He looked uncomfortable, looked too rushed when under no pressure at all and played risky short passes when Chelsea players were only feet away from our receiving defender. This was putting us under pressure just outside of our own box. This happened 2 or 3 times in the first 20 minutes. You don’t get to see this watching the highlights you only get to see the goals.

I watched the game on Chelsea’s 5th stand app on my iPad. The picture quality was as clear as day with decent action replays.

Out of the pre-season games that I watched, I think Walker has done the better of the two keepers so far although, gifting Mount his second was a mistake that I worry about as both him and Virginia look as though they’ll both be guilty of this type of error early season.

Maybe the best save of the game was when Adam made a fierce backpass chest height at Walker :o

He wasn't wrong footed at all. Look at the path of the ball as Kenedy hits it - Virginia has reacted quickly and is moving across to cover and likely save the ball comfortably. Unfortunately, the ball takes a sizeable deflection sending it the opposite direction - he did well to actually move back on himself.

There may be plenty to question him on but his keeping for the second really isn't one of them.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jul 2019 15:24

How many games have we actually seen this kid play?

Are we really having such an indepth debate about his abilities on the back of some preseason game as he's finding his feet?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2019 15:26

haven't looked that closely, but did he got a hand to it didn't he? Wrists were a bit 'chocolatey' there imo

But I'm not overly worried by him tbh. That was basically his first ever game in front of any sort of crowd. If he's as good as we're led to believe he'll get used to it and get better

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Jul 2019 15:31

Stranded
Oilroyal My comments on here during Sunday’s game wasn’t directly made because the 2 goals Virginia let in; it was about Virginia being our weakest link in the starting eleven.

He wasn't wrong footed at all. Look at the path of the ball as Kenedy hits it - Virginia has reacted quickly and is moving across to cover and likely save the ball comfortably. Unfortunately, the ball takes a sizeable deflection sending it the opposite direction - he did well to actually move back on himself.

There may be plenty to question him on but his keeping for the second really isn't one of them.

Not that the goals concern me, but where is this sizable deflection. The ball took a swerve in flight granted https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ekg4v

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2019 15:55

Oilroyal
Stranded

Not that the goals concern me, but where is this sizable deflection. The ball took a swerve in flight granted https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ekg4v

As it goes past Richard's outstretched leg it looks like it deflects off it and takes it off it's inital path - this may of course be the start of the swerve at just that moment but coincidental if so.

124 posts