356 posts
Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Charlie Adam

by Jack Celliers » 04 Aug 2019 21:32

leon
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Passing should always be played with a purpose. For example, when Moore and Miazga pass between each other, it often leaves me frustrated because I always wonder what the purpose of the pass is. Simple to say, but a pass should only be made if it puts the receiver in a better position than the passer

So I do get why people thought Adam was “different” because he played many forward passes, unlike Loader, Barrett etc...and he was doing OK in the 10 role. Unfortunately when he dropped back, many of those forward passes found the advertising boards. It was horrific to watch and I’m not sure why people think “it’s OK because at least he went forward” when very few worked and instead allowed them to time waste and close off the game

I mean this is it isn't it. He started out excellent, dropped deeper due to a substitution and then tried to force the killer ball from too deep and too direct too often. And it really didn't work. But yeah he injected a load of nous we didn't have before and looks a decent addition. Just not one who can play 90 minutes and yet another one who looks better placed as a No. 10 in behind a striker we don't have and ahead of a partner for Rino we don't have.

No.

He played several excellent balls. one was to Barrow that cut out the right back and right midfield it was beautiful. I turned to jnr leon II and said that was a great ball.

He also played a lovely disguised ball in midfield to the right that foxed everyone who naturally assumed it was going the other way. Created space and we went in the attack.

This is my point. Yes he played some overly ambitious balls but he did more with ball than anybody else.

People seem to have made their minds up about him and then adjusted the narrative.

I take your point about some of the passes he played working out, but we can't have somebody with a 30% success rate with passes. Miazga, Moore, Yiadom etc are trying not to lose the ball at all. Swift didn't lose the ball at all yesterday. Then after 60 minutes the class clown comes on and sprays it everywhere. It's just wrong. You can't have somebody playing with different rules to everybody else, particularly if he isn't able to chase back or tackle anymore. That was a horrendous debut, and we would literally have been better off without him, and it is a long time since I have though that about a player. I just hope he realises the game is up and gets a nice offer to start his media career.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Aug 2019 21:53

Well, some of his skills may have eroded of course (which partly explains why we were able to get him).
But we can all agree (maybe) that Adam wouldn’t have had the career he’s had, and the longevity, by continually hitting advertising boards with his passes every game.
We also don’t know whether what he did, or was trying to do, was at Gomes direction.
The question is whether at his stage of career, whether he could/should still contribute to us at all, at our stage.
In any event, the club decided to take a chance and signed him on a free, he’s only played 20-odd mins, and in a game we were already trailing.
So, early doors, and we’ll see how things play out over the next 45 matches.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Aug 2019 22:42

Jack Celliers
leon
Snowflake Royal I mean this is it isn't it. He started out excellent, dropped deeper due to a substitution and then tried to force the killer ball from too deep and too direct too often. And it really didn't work. But yeah he injected a load of nous we didn't have before and looks a decent addition. Just not one who can play 90 minutes and yet another one who looks better placed as a No. 10 in behind a striker we don't have and ahead of a partner for Rino we don't have.

No.

He played several excellent balls. one was to Barrow that cut out the right back and right midfield it was beautiful. I turned to jnr leon II and said that was a great ball.

He also played a lovely disguised ball in midfield to the right that foxed everyone who naturally assumed it was going the other way. Created space and we went in the attack.

This is my point. Yes he played some overly ambitious balls but he did more with ball than anybody else.

People seem to have made their minds up about him and then adjusted the narrative.

I take your point about some of the passes he played working out, but we can't have somebody with a 30% success rate with passes. Miazga, Moore, Yiadom etc are trying not to lose the ball at all. Swift didn't lose the ball at all yesterday. Then after 60 minutes the class clown comes on and sprays it everywhere. It's just wrong. You can't have somebody playing with different rules to everybody else, particularly if he isn't able to chase back or tackle anymore. That was a horrendous debut, and we would literally have been better off without him, and it is a long time since I have though that about a player. I just hope he realises the game is up and gets a nice offer to start his media career.

Like I said. Agendas.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 07:08

leon
Jack Celliers
leon
No.

Like I said. Agendas.

Not from me. Two good long balls out of ten isn't good enough when you lose possession 80% of the time doing them. Other than that brain deadness he played well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Aug 2019 09:42

Adam had a pass completion rate of 63% from 28 passes on Saturday according to Who Scored. Not brilliant but he was also the 4th best Reading player on Saturday according to the same site - Loader was the worst for comparison.

Of these 28 passes - 17 were forward and 11 backward. 4 were classed as crosses and 3 were corners. I don't recall these being "successful" so improves his stats in the rest of the play.

10 were classed as long passes.

He had 34 touches, 2 shots and had 2 successful dribbles.

So as a first apperance off the bench, when tasked with helping us get forward better and back into the game, I would say that is pretty good with room for improvement.

Should be noted that one of the unsuccessful passes was an excellent ball to Barrow which left him one on one with the full back with acres of space that Barrow controlled into touch.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Aug 2019 09:50

Stranded Adam had a pass completion rate of 63% from 28 passes on Saturday according to Who Scored. Not brilliant but he was also the 4th best Reading player on Saturday according to the same site - Loader was the worst for comparison.

Of these 28 passes - 17 were forward and 11 backward. 4 were classed as crosses and 3 were corners. I don't recall these being "successful" so improves his stats in the rest of the play.

So as a first apperance off the bench, when tasked with helping us get forward better and back into the game, I would say that is pretty good with room for improvement.

Should be noted that one of the unsuccessful passes was an excellent ball to Barrow which left him one on one with the full back with acres of space that Barrow controlled into touch.

Plus 1

I thought we looked far more dangerous when he came on.

And some that "went astray" were not down to "wavelength" but weak play by forwards

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Aug 2019 10:45

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
leon
Compared to what was on before he tried to make a difference. Swift had done nothing - he was trying to make something happen. I remember 2 excellent through balls he played.

That’s more than I remember any other player doing yesterday.

Spot on.
It did nothing for our game when Loader and Barrett (bar the one cross for the goal) spend most of the time when they were on the pitch trying to pass back to the centre-backs and not always succeeding.

This is also a classic example of Ian not being at the game and therefore having no feel for what was going on.
I hope Adam starts and the players alongside and ahead of him find space and then I think he will find them.

It's a classic example of you talking out your arse seeing as I was at the game.

Then I would suggest that as you are so unused to being at matches you just couldn't take it all in.
Leon's take on Adam's performance sums it up so much more accurately.
I expect Adam to start the next game at Hull.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 10:56

I think Adam is very much our plan B and will likely stay on the bench. I've no real issue with that being the case, and obvs it will take time for him and the rest of the team to get to know each other.

Couple of half decent shots on the highlights, the rebound from Swift's free kick particularly

Reckon he'll turn out to be a useful signing, if not widely used. He clearly has a role nurturing the youngsters as well - also interesting to see the way he celebrated the equaliser.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 12:39

Hound I think Adam is very much our plan B and will likely stay on the bench. I've no real issue with that being the case, and obvs it will take time for him and the rest of the team to get to know each other.

Couple of half decent shots on the highlights, the rebound from Swift's free kick particularly

Reckon he'll turn out to be a useful signing, if not widely used. He clearly has a role nurturing the youngsters as well - also interesting to see the way he celebrated the equaliser.

Completely agree.

Adam looked very useful, if not capable of playing 90 minutes regularly. The only complaint is he went too long too often and too many were poor.

Of course if you offer any criticism you must hate the player and think he was awful. :roll:

You know I can't stand Swift in midfield but by his standards, but I thought he had a good game there. Terrible set pieces apart. I'll be amazed if he doesn't retain his place.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 13:05

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
Spot on.
It did nothing for our game when Loader and Barrett (bar the one cross for the goal) spend most of the time when they were on the pitch trying to pass back to the centre-backs and not always succeeding.

This is also a classic example of Ian not being at the game and therefore having no feel for what was going on.
I hope Adam starts and the players alongside and ahead of him find space and then I think he will find them.

It's a classic example of you talking out your arse seeing as I was at the game.

Then I would suggest that as you are so unused to being at matches you just couldn't take it all in.
Leon's take on Adam's performance sums it up so much more accurately.
I expect Adam to start the next game at Hull.

I suggest you don't believe everything you read, because I go to plenty of games. :roll:

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Aug 2019 13:49

leon
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Passing should always be played with a purpose. For example, when Moore and Miazga pass between each other, it often leaves me frustrated because I always wonder what the purpose of the pass is. Simple to say, but a pass should only be made if it puts the receiver in a better position than the passer

So I do get why people thought Adam was “different” because he played many forward passes, unlike Loader, Barrett etc...and he was doing OK in the 10 role. Unfortunately when he dropped back, many of those forward passes found the advertising boards. It was horrific to watch and I’m not sure why people think “it’s OK because at least he went forward” when very few worked and instead allowed them to time waste and close off the game

I mean this is it isn't it. He started out excellent, dropped deeper due to a substitution and then tried to force the killer ball from too deep and too direct too often. And it really didn't work. But yeah he injected a load of nous we didn't have before and looks a decent addition. Just not one who can play 90 minutes and yet another one who looks better placed as a No. 10 in behind a striker we don't have and ahead of a partner for Rino we don't have.

No.

This is the Team board Leon, what else would you expect.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 15:02

Even more team-boardy that people have made up their minds that people have made up their minds about Adam

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2019 15:11

Hound Even more team-boardy that people have made up their minds that people have made up their minds about Adam

Typical Team Board reaction.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 05 Aug 2019 15:53

Re passing.
The Coach's mantra is "it is not the player with the ball that is in control of the pass, but the team mates".
Make sure your comments are directed in the right direction.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 17:14

SWLR Re passing.
The Coach's mantra is "it is not the player with the ball that is in control of the pass, but the team mates".

Decent mantra, but has echoes of 'the customer is always right' for being used as an excuse and misunderstood.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2019 18:34

Movement. It’s all about movement.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Aug 2019 22:16

SWLR Re passing.

That was what I always used to say but I never did get that England call-up.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Aug 2019 09:04

Snowball
Stranded Adam had a pass completion rate of 63% from 28 passes on Saturday according to Who Scored. Not brilliant but he was also the 4th best Reading player on Saturday according to the same site - Loader was the worst for comparison.

Plus 1

And some that "went astray" were not down to "wavelength" but weak play by forwards

this^^^+2

also, we can all get 100% pass success if we pass backwards and never put the ball in danger areas where defenders are operating.
in order to score goals you need to take risks, which will occasionally end up failing

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Aug 2019 10:25

Maneki Neko
Snowball

Plus 1

this^^^+2

also, we can all get 100% pass success if we pass backwards and never put the ball in 'danger' areas where defenders are operating.
in order to score goals, you need to take risks, which will occasionally end up succeeding!

fixed for you

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 06 Aug 2019 10:36

leon Movement. It’s all about movement.

Movement without purpose, is just movement. move to control the pass, gives movement purpose and means something to those coached in my experience.

356 posts