CONFIMRED - Matt Miazga

183 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: CONFIMRED - Matt Miazga

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jul 2019 11:51

Old Man Andrews I would say if we can keep Meite fit and hungry he will score more than enough goals, he was a beast in the 2nd half of last season. I won't panic too much if we don't get another striker in. We have Novakovich and Loader in reserve too.

Haven't the likes of Williams and Gooding always said that ideally you need 4 good centre backs and 4 good strikers in your squad?

We are far from 'ideal' with just Meite, Novakovich and Loader, particularly as the latter two still have to establish themselves at Championship level.

Getting Miazga back is great news though.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Jul 2019 11:52

goals are a concern for me, and id be concerned with having 2 yoofs in the 4
but I guess novakovich is slightly more than that with his very successful loan experience
and theres always baldock too. I'd just be more comfortable with someone in the proven champ goalscorer, oliveira shaped hole in the squad.

that aside

this is a great signing, the boy is mint.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jul 2019 11:52

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Jul 2019 11:57

I`ve just had a little sex wee. :D

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2019 11:58

Just jizzed in my pants.

Great signing. Delighted we got him and delighted he wanted to come back. Moore and Miazga worked so well together last season.

With this signing that's our defense sorted. I know people are anxious about our GK situation but that's another story. The options we have in defense now are mint. Yiadom, Moore and Miazga are all quality at this level. Supplemented by Morrison, Blackett, Obita and the younger guys and for the first time in years we have a quality backline with quality competition.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 12:05

Its interesting that we've really prioritised the defence with the signings so far.

Jose likes to build from the back. Being solid at the back was the basis of our survival last year. Goes back a little to Moore's interview when he talked of traffic lights throughout the different areas of the pitch

Happy to let the younger players express themselves up front, but seems to prefer that extra experience at the back

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jul 2019 12:09

Clean sheets guarantees points.
There is no point being able to score 2-3 goals a game but concede just as many.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2019 12:18

Coppells Lost Coat Clean sheets guarantees points.
There is no point being able to score 2-3 goals a game but concede just as many.

Hark at Mick Gooding over here.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2019 12:21

At the moment, scoring 1 a game looks like it may be challenging so clean sheets are going to be vital.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jul 2019 12:23

Stranded

At the moment, scoring 1 a game looks like it may be challenging so clean sheets are going to be vital.

At least it keeps us in the game. There was long stretches last season where we didn't look like scoring and looked like conceding every time the opposition attacked.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2019 12:27

Stranded

I think we need to stop underestimating the link Meite and Barrow forged. Both are still dangerous players. I dont doubt we would have been better off with Oliveira but I think the suggestion that we will struggle for goals is premature. We have pace that most defenders cant rival in Barrow and physicality most wingers cant match in Meite. If (and it's a reasonably sized if) they can start as strongly as the finished together last season then I am not overly concerned.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 12:29

NewCorkSeth
Stranded

I think we need to stop underestimating the link Meite and Barrow forged. Both are still dangerous players. I dont doubt we would have been better off with Oliveira but I think the suggestion that we will struggle for goals is premature. We have pace that most defenders cant rival in Barrow and physicality most wingers cant match in Meite. If (and it's a reasonably sized if) they can start as strongly as the finished together last season then I am not overly concerned.

Agree, they scored plenty and looked dangerous back end of last year. Add in Nova, Loader and maybe Baldock and there are goals there. Swift needs to up his game in terms of goalscoring though.

Also Morrison, Moore and Miazga really should get their fair share from set pieces.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2019 12:34

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Stranded

Agree, they scored plenty and looked dangerous back end of last year. Add in Nova, Loader and maybe Baldock and there are goals there. Swift needs to up his game in terms of goalscoring though.

Also Morrison, Moore and Miazga really should get their fair share from set pieces.

All I hope from Swift is that this season he can be the link from midfield to attack even his most fervent critics should admit he is capable of being.

If he stays fit, stays on set pieces and we sign another CM to play alongside Rinomhota then we have a great chance of finishing mid table.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Jul 2019 12:42

Stranded

Absolutely this. Aiming for a 46 point season I reckon.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 12:43

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Stranded

Especially with Adam to take them....and of course Meite is a tricky player to mark at set pieces too

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jul 2019 12:43

3points
Stranded

Absolutely this. Aiming for a 46 point season I reckon.

Probably not a very sensible target.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 13:17

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Stranded

You're easily pleased, they got 9 between them in the second half of the season. That isn't going to take us far.

The most favourable selection window is 7 in 10 or 9 in 13. But that's basically the only two players we have with any scoring record here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 13:39

9 in 13 is an excellent return. Especially for two wingers

Nova and Baldock have scoring records either in the champ or elsewhere

Like i said elsewhere, if we went out and purchased an international striker from Netherlands who scored over 30 goals in the last two seasons, would that make people happier with our options?
Last edited by Hound on 24 Jul 2019 13:40, edited 2 times in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 13:39

You can't win if you don't score. You can draw and win if you concede. Lots of draws put you in a relegation fight.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jul 2019 13:42

Hound 9 in 13 is an excellent return. Especially for two wingers

Yes, but it's selective counting of games. It's also 9 in ~23.

And the point made was that with those two going we don't need a scoring striker. You want your top scorer on 15 - 20 with second on 8-15. Not 12 and 6.

183 posts