227 posts
StellaPlease

Re: Where will we finish?

by StellaPlease » 03 Aug 2019 09:27

Nameless
SCIAG
Hound
based on last season's post Jan form - we were getting mid table level ppg

We talk about the loan signings, but I'm not sure Oliveira had a huge impact (due to being stamped on etc) and Ejaria was certainly replaceable. Martinez was obviously top class, but hoping with the addition of Morrison, and Miazga and Moore forming a strong partnership, the keeper won't be so needed.

Loader, Olise, Barrett and McIntyre all a year older and worthy of a place in the team now, rather than being thrown in in hope

Gomes having a full pre-season to drill the players, rather than coming in and firefighting on all fronts. More settled, happier squad and fanbase.

While I'd agree that Ejaria was replaceable, we haven't actually replaced him. We also haven't replaced Baker. And since the start of the year we've sold the players who were doing their jobs before they showed up (Bacuna and Kelly).

Really think the midfield is going to be our undoing. The best defence in the world isn't much good if it doesn't have protection.

That’s crazy.
If your midfield is slightly lacking then exactly what you need is a strong defence ! You can compensate for your lack of muscle in the centre by being strong at the back.
S

You're speaking nonsense as usual.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2019 09:39

StellaPlease
Nameless
SCIAG While I'd agree that Ejaria was replaceable, we haven't actually replaced him. We also haven't replaced Baker. And since the start of the year we've sold the players who were doing their jobs before they showed up (Bacuna and Kelly).

Really think the midfield is going to be our undoing. The best defence in the world isn't much good if it doesn't have protection.

That’s crazy.
If your midfield is slightly lacking then exactly what you need is a strong defence ! You can compensate for your lack of muscle in the centre by being strong at the back.
S

You're speaking nonsense as usual.

Don’t think so. Me and every manager in history know you build a team on a strong defence. The idea that you just don’t bother with your defence unless you have a midfielder enforcer just isn’t logical. I’d rather have Baker back but if our midfield is slightly lightweight I’d rather we had a rock solid defence to cover them. Why you would think otherwise is beyond comprehension....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2019 09:47

SCIAG
Hound
BR0B0T What's happened at Reading FC to move them from relegation fodder to comfortably mid-table?

We talk about the loan signings, but I'm not sure Oliveira had a huge impact (due to being stamped on etc) and Ejaria was certainly replaceable. Martinez was obviously top class, but hoping with the addition of Morrison, and Miazga and Moore forming a strong partnership, the keeper won't be so needed.

Loader, Olise, Barrett and McIntyre all a year older and worthy of a place in the team now, rather than being thrown in in hope

Gomes having a full pre-season to drill the players, rather than coming in and firefighting on all fronts. More settled, happier squad and fanbase.

While I'd agree that Ejaria was replaceable, we haven't actually replaced him. We also haven't replaced Baker. And since the start of the year we've sold the players who were doing their jobs before they showed up (Bacuna and Kelly).

I'd argue we have three players in Olise, Barrett and Holsgrove who could replace him. Olise especially.

What we don't have is a replacement for Baker - as you say -, who was better and more important than Ovie IMO. I think Adam could be useful, but I don't see him playing close to 46 x 90. And the less I say about Swift probably the better.

Agree our midfield is a big concern.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 03 Aug 2019 10:09

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Hound

I'd argue we have three players in Olise, Barrett and Holsgrove who could replace him. Olise especially.

What we don't have is a replacement for Baker - as you say -, who was better and more important than Ovie IMO. I think Adam could be useful, but I don't see him playing close to 46 x 90. And the less I say about Swift probably the better.

Got your bottle of Fanta and packed lunch ready for the day, Snowflake?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2019 10:35

It's sweet how you think you can troll me and I care what you say.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Aug 2019 11:19

Anything above 22nd will be a bonus. There's an awful lot of hoping youth players can make the step up.

If we could get a striker in, I'd be a lot more confident.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 03 Aug 2019 11:46

tmesis Anything above 22nd will be a bonus. There's an awful lot of hoping youth players can make the step up.

If we could get a striker in, I'd be a lot more confident.

We'll have two more players in yet. We'll have a decent side that will grow into the season.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 03 Aug 2019 11:46

Snowflake Royal It's sweet how you think you can troll me and I care what you say.

Glad you didn't respond then.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Aug 2019 08:24

Nameless
SCIAG
Hound

That’s crazy.
S

While obviously it's better to have a strong defence than a weak one, historically when we've had a strong defence but a weak midfield we've struggled all the same. We might call the back four the "defence" but keeping the ball out of the net relies on the whole team. If there are question marks over the goalkeeper then you need the back line and the midfield and probably the forwards to all pull their weight. Defending is less about the components as it is about the whole.

Yesterday I thought Liam Moore had one of his worst games for us, making at least two serious errors that led to shots. If he keeps having players run at him that often then he'll probably keep having "bad games". I thought Swift had a reasonably good game defensively but of the front four only Barrett has the slightest inclination to track back (something I didn't think I'd be saying a year ago!). So while on paper we probably agree that Moore, Miazga, and Yiadom are good defenders, I don't think the "whole" is there for us to be a successful defensive side.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Aug 2019 08:26

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Hound

Appreciate that Ejaria started out playing quite a bit in wide or attacking positions. Agree that in that sense the young players can replace him.

I was most impressed by Ejaria a bit later on when we started using him as a box-to-box midfielder alongside Rinomhota. I don't really think we have anyone who can play that role - and if we do turn Swift into that player then we're wasting his talents.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Aug 2019 08:31

Fair in Ejaria - be interesting to see if he comes back this week

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 08:59

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG While I'd agree that Ejaria was replaceable, we haven't actually replaced him. We also haven't replaced Baker. And since the start of the year we've sold the players who were doing their jobs before they showed up (Bacuna and Kelly).

Appreciate that Ejaria started out playing quite a bit in wide or attacking positions. Agree that in that sense the young players can replace him.

I was most impressed by Ejaria a bit later on when we started using him as a box-to-box midfielder alongside Rinomhota. I don't really think we have anyone who can play that role - and if we do turn Swift into that player then we're wasting his talents.

Ok, I don't see that in Ejaria's game really, but fair enough if you do. He's young and I didn't see vast amounts of him in deeper midfield.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 06 Aug 2019 23:38

PremAddict Bookies have us for the drop. Looking at the squad through a black/white lens. Sure. We barely avoided relegation with 5 loan signing significantly improving the squad only one of which returned. We have a keeper who would be better-served to get minutes in League 1, and no "established" striker.

But adding-in a dose of "what if's" where we still have several players who are still unknown quantities in the likes of Olise, Loader, Barrett, Nova, McIntyre, Holsgrove, and East, if even 2 of those come good, we could be the surprise package. If Swift can sustain the level he's shown in his first year and this pre-season. And where is Obita? If he comes back and is playing at the level he was in the playoff final season. That plus Gomez's team-first philosophy should be embedded better which should mean brighter attitudes and brighter play. Ifs....hmmm

15th.

Hmmm. Seems as if we now have plugged all the holes and have perhaps two solid players for each position. If Jose gets the most out of the entire squad, I could see us in the top half now perhaps nipping a the playoff spots.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Aug 2019 23:59

Steady now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'll still be happy if we go into the last 5 games not seriously looking over our shoulders and sweating on other results.

Let's try getting to 50 points first.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Aug 2019 00:13

PremAddict
PremAddict Bookies have us for the drop. Looking at the squad through a black/white lens. Sure. We barely avoided relegation with 5 loan signing significantly improving the squad only one of which returned. We have a keeper who would be better-served to get minutes in League 1, and no "established" striker.

But adding-in a dose of "what if's" where we still have several players who are still unknown quantities in the likes of Olise, Loader, Barrett, Nova, McIntyre, Holsgrove, and East, if even 2 of those come good, we could be the surprise package. If Swift can sustain the level he's shown in his first year and this pre-season. And where is Obita? If he comes back and is playing at the level he was in the playoff final season. That plus Gomez's team-first philosophy should be embedded better which should mean brighter attitudes and brighter play. Ifs....hmmm

15th.

Hmmm. Seems as if we now have plugged all the holes and have perhaps two solid players for each position. If Jose gets the most out of the entire squad, I could see us in the top half now perhaps nipping a the playoff spots.

‘Sorry, but no changes are allowed at this time. In the interests of fairness to all involved, and to help preserve the integrity of the process, we will have to go with your original prediction at this time. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.’

Mr ReadingFC

by Mr ReadingFC » 07 Aug 2019 13:20

Given the influx of signings over the past 24 hours, where would you place us? I think that a mid table finish is easily achievable. I saw someone quote on another thread that we are 4/1 for a top half finish with Bet Victor. I think there is very smart money to be won.

Here's hoping Joao and Puscas can get us firing...

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 07 Aug 2019 13:24

From Despair To Where? Steady now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'll still be happy if we go into the last 5 games not seriously looking over our shoulders and sweating on other results.

Let's try getting to 50 points first.

I know, I know. I did bold and underline “if”. :)

But if we’re really spending close to 10M on two new forwards, along with the pedigree of the loans we’ve added, I’d be disappointed if we’re anywhere near relegation. It seems Gomez is feeling fairly positive too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2019 13:30

With the investment, be very disappointed if we are anywhere near the bottom 6 or so

On the other hand we haven’t spent huge sums by champ standards at all, so there is plenty of work to get us too half of the table even

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2019 14:14

I'll revise 14 - 17 up to 10 - 14 at this point.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 14:25

My original thought was I had no idea where we will finish.
Given the strengthening I still have no idea, although my area of uncertainty is a bit higher up the table than it was.
There is still a concern that Joao won’t deliver often enough, Pele will be Pelle, Puscas won’t actually sign and Boye will injure a knee in training and never play a full game. We’ll also get a great offer for Moore tomorrow lunchtime and lose him....
Been too many seasons following this team now to expect things to work out well. Still not quite sure how Warnock let that lead slip in 2005/6

227 posts