BFTG - HULL CITY (AWAY)

142 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - HULL CITY (AWAY)

by Snowball » 11 Aug 2019 10:01

URZZZZ
StellaPlease Just woken up and feel like shit.

Gomes has no idea how to play a side away from home. Playing. 19 year old in goal and parting it from the back. Shit.

I am concerned with the counter attacks at the moment. The two fullbacks push on too far much to only play two CB’s and no proper DM. Apart from the Joao goal against us last weekend (which was the last kick of the game anyway) every single goal we’ve conceded has come from the flanks. Issue that needs sorting

Yep.Absolutely. I pointed this out in the friendlies and said we would concede too many goals on the counter

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2019 10:07

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth That was URZZZZ I think who harshly rated Richards. Must be a personal problem he has with him because i think we are unlikely to see a better performance from him.

He improved as the game went on. But he was poor the first half hour and by then the damage was done. To be fair, Bowen is a very good player so he was always likely to grab a goal and cause trouble. I’ve seen Richards play a lot worse but if we want to progress, we need someone else there

Sorry, the “liability” comment was more of a general comment towards Richards, not necessarily based off his performance yesterday

I understand the trepidation. During pre-season he hardly impressed. Yesterday I think it is hard to fault him. Everyone was very poor in the first half. For the first goal he could do nothing. For the second some might say he should have closed down better for the initial cross but, for me, it was a well worked cross considering the angle and Miazga and Moore are the ones who left a free header.

On paper Bowen got a goal and an assist but in reality Richards held him off for most of the game. I honestly dont think Blackett would have done as well.

Richards also managed to get forward well. I think there was only 1 from him but he sent a peach of a cross into the box. he linked up very well with Swift in the second half and even did some nice crossover work with Boye in the first.

Do we need Blackett and Obita back? Yes. But Richards is plenty good enough to play the 10 or so games we need for Blackett to come back. Especially if he and Swift keep up the closing down they did together.

First goal, it was his man who scored. He neither followed him, nor passed him off to Miazga.

Not a huge error, as a competent keeper holds it or gives a corner. But an error still. But thought he was fine v Weds and obvs haven't seen more than the Hull goals.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2019 10:24

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
He improved as the game went on. But he was poor the first half hour and by then the damage was done. To be fair, Bowen is a very good player so he was always likely to grab a goal and cause trouble. I’ve seen Richards play a lot worse but if we want to progress, we need someone else there

Sorry, the “liability” comment was more of a general comment towards Richards, not necessarily based off his performance yesterday

I understand the trepidation. During pre-season he hardly impressed. Yesterday I think it is hard to fault him. Everyone was very poor in the first half. For the first goal he could do nothing. For the second some might say he should have closed down better for the initial cross but, for me, it was a well worked cross considering the angle and Miazga and Moore are the ones who left a free header.

On paper Bowen got a goal and an assist but in reality Richards held him off for most of the game. I honestly dont think Blackett would have done as well.

Richards also managed to get forward well. I think there was only 1 from him but he sent a peach of a cross into the box. he linked up very well with Swift in the second half and even did some nice crossover work with Boye in the first.

Do we need Blackett and Obita back? Yes. But Richards is plenty good enough to play the 10 or so games we need for Blackett to come back. Especially if he and Swift keep up the closing down they did together.

First goal, it was his man who scored. He neither followed him, nor passed him off to Miazga.

Not a huge error, as a competent keeper holds it or gives a corner. But an error still. But thought he was fine v Weds and obvs haven't seen more than the Hull goals.

He was at the other end of the pitch when Hull started that attack, ran the whole way back and when the initial shot was made was covering the far post (you can see him standing on the edge of the goal area).

His man has cut inside. You can clearly see Miazga was split by 2 men and decided to stand in between them, marking neither. Miazga was more to blame. When an opposition player cuts inside you as a CB and you can see nobody is marking him you should know that that was your job.

Moore was covering the short cross, Richards the back post, Rinomhota the late runner. In fact if you watch the full footage you can see Miazga looking back to see where his man is (just before he gets back in the box) after he looks back, Bowen checks where Richards is and snakes into the centre of the box.

EDIT: Also Pele does nothing for that entire attack. Ball watching.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2019 11:18

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I understand the trepidation. During pre-season he hardly impressed. Yesterday I think it is hard to fault him. Everyone was very poor in the first half. For the first goal he could do nothing. For the second some might say he should have closed down better for the initial cross but, for me, it was a well worked cross considering the angle and Miazga and Moore are the ones who left a free header.

He was at the other end of the pitch when Hull started that attack, ran the whole way back and when the initial shot was made was covering the far post (you can see him standing on the edge of the goal area).

His man has cut inside. You can clearly see Miazga was split by 2 men and decided to stand in between them, marking neither. Miazga was more to blame. When an opposition player cuts inside you as a CB and you can see nobody is marking him you should know that that was your job.

Moore was covering the short cross, Richards the back post, Rinomhota the late runner. In fact if you watch the full footage you can see Miazga looking back to see where his man is (just before he gets back in the box) after he looks back, Bowen checks where Richards is and snakes into the centre of the box.

Hmm. Hard to know for sure, but I want to see clearer communication to Miazga if Richards isn't going to go with. He leaves him with two players and possibly no shout. Doesn't really pick up Miazga's man or follow his own...

Like I say though, that goal is all about the keeper at his near post.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2019 11:20

URZZZZ
Chameleon
StellaPlease Here he goes.

Proper fans still in the train home and this drama studying faggot is piping up about something he has no clue about.

I don't think that there's been a worse recent addition to this board than you. You constantly go round trying to find fights, make constantly horrific takes like saying slating 1871 for not being nasty enough and now this really top it off.

He’s probably a kid who’s on his summer holidays. Don’t give them the attention and they’ll hopefully get bored and stop

It's just Lacoste / The Informant being his usual charming self.

He'll get banned, disappear and then be back a few weeks later with the same tragic schtick. Pay no notice.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 11 Aug 2019 11:38

I don't think it was that bad...this team will improve. They hit the post and the bar and conceded to a keeping error..it was just not their day. yes they made a couple of mistakes but still not bad! I know with the money spent people hope for more but anything that's not a relegation battle I will be happy with.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Aug 2019 11:43

Was it Pele who won the ball to start the counter attack for our goal? Great ball from Swift.

Think we'll put a few past Wycombe on Tuesday then kick start our season with a comfortable win over Cardiff on Sunday.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2019 11:51

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal First goal, it was his man who scored. He neither followed him, nor passed him off to Miazga.

Hmm. Hard to know for sure, but I want to see clearer communication to Miazga if Richards isn't going to go with. He leaves him with two players and possibly no shout. Doesn't really pick up Miazga's man or follow his own...

Like I say though, that goal is all about the keeper at his near post.

A definite lack of communication. Perhaps Miazga was used to working with Yiadom who has much more experience.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2019 11:58

Pepe the Horseman Was it Pele who won the ball to start the counter attack for our goal? Great ball from Swift.

Think we'll put a few past Wycombe on Tuesday then kick start our season with a comfortable win over Cardiff on Sunday.

I dont think it was Pele who win the ball. He certainly took it out and passed to Swift.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Aug 2019 14:58

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL In case you`ve not seen the penalty shout. I think that pretty conclusive Zip.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Tomlin/status/ ... 2498802688

It's hard to tell, but that has a strong whiff of Meite tapping his ankle against the keeper's shin and chucking himself to the ground. Not that it wouldn't be given 90% of the time.

That was the way I saw it too. I think keeper actually got to the ball first and made contact with it. Meite kept his leg in/trailed it so that he would make contact with the keeper's leg and fall over. If that was the case then it probably isn't a penalty and we would've been incensed had one like that been awarded against us. That having been said, more and more penalties are being awarded in that type of situation, particularly VAR officials get involved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2019 15:03

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL In case you`ve not seen the penalty shout. I think that pretty conclusive Zip.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Tomlin/status/ ... 2498802688

It's hard to tell, but that has a strong whiff of Meite tapping his ankle against the keeper's shin and chucking himself to the ground. Not that it wouldn't be given 90% of the time.

That was the way I saw it too. I think keeper actually got to the ball first and made contact with it. Meite kept his leg in/trailed it so that he would make contact with the keeper's leg and fall over. If that was the case then it probably isn't a penalty and we would've been incensed had one like that been awarded against us. That having been said, more and more penalties are being awarded in that type of situation, particularly VAR officials get involved.

I feel like a downside of VAR is that deliberately sought contact is going to increase, because few ref's are going to be brave enough to make that call and not award a pen plus book a player when there is clear contact shown on screen.

Without the replays they can just pretend not to have seen contact if they're suspicious and let it go at that.

On the screen it's got to be pen or yellow.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Aug 2019 15:19

TLDR: brilliant performance second half should have won. Crossbar, post, ungiven penalty, dirty northern b******ds tripping us every 2 mins and a noob ref who was just gutless. Lost it thanks to awful keeping and defence.

Brave scores, none of this keeping it safe 5-7 stuff:

Virginia 0 because cost us a point at least.

Yiadom 4 first half. 9 second half.

Moore 5 always found him overrated. Cost us last game. Was nowhere for second goal this game.

Miazga. Don't care. 5? Part of a shit defence.

Richards 9. Yes 9. Brilliant stuff. Months back I asked that he never plays for Reading again. All credit to the barber as his haircut seems to have transformed him. Brilliant defending brilliant with the ball.

Boye 7. Difficult one. If he's meant to be a left winger he confuses me. A lot of our first half attacks came through him though when more central. A very good footballer clearly.

Swift. When briefly on the left wing 9. Otherwise 5-6.

Pele. 5. Confusing player. Seemed to not be bothered at all several times. But he clearly has some ability. Not a great debut performance but may do better at some point if he gives a sh*t. Reminds me of Drenthe.

Rino. 6. Good old rino battled well enough as usual. Can't fault him.

Jaoao 10. What? 10? Doesn't that mean he had to have cured cancer and climate change and brought world peace in addition to scoring 10 goals?? No this is a football match and he shone out like a shining beacon of brilliance. Before his goal I was set for giving him a 9. That just topped off an incredible performance. We've been crying out for a danger man like this for years. If he can be as hungry and consistent he will be one of our best ever signings.

Meite. 7. Battled hard, did some great stuff. Seemed to be part of a lot of good stuff we did when we were ripping them to shreds for much of the 2nd half. Maybe biased cos I like him.

Adam - 1. Shit corners shit dead balls. Not sure what is the point of him.

Puskas. 6. Missed a sitter. Crossbar from 12nanometers out. But looks very very dangerous. I can see him scoring a bunch for us for sure.

Ref 0. How the **** he missed that penalty I don't know. Where the **** is VAR. It's 2019 FFS. Let the animals butcher us all game with only a yellow or two. They fouled us 23 times? Ridiculous.

Gomes. 5. 2 games 2 defeats. Swift brilliant on the left, we get a goal then he changes it. Still a phenomenal attacking display second half and a draw would be fair so he clearly did something right. I worry that a couple more shit results and questions might be asked. Interesting what he does about our keeper situation. Our defensive unit is shit. Poor keeper, no confidence. Moore having back to back poor games. Perhaps we should just be attacking every game as we look a different team when we do.

Overall feeling.... Actually not too disheartened. This team can gel and terrorise other teams if we sort out our defensive unit.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 11 Aug 2019 16:26

biff
sandman The point is the name on his shirt is Gimes so it is entirely reasonable to call him that.

Any opportunity to have a go at Tim though...

Did you not hear his reasoning? Nothing to do with his shirt, everything to do with Tim deciding he wasnt good enough for the name everyone else calls him. Out of order.

So he doesn't call Pelé the name people call him cos he's not as good as Pele. Liam Moore isn't as good as Bobby Moore, but he still calls him by the name he was given. Our Puskas isn't as good as the Hungarian Puscas, but he still calls him by his name.

I've never thought too much about Dellor, but he has sunk to a new low. I think he was just showing off that he could read Portuguese. What a dick.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 11 Aug 2019 16:31

Hampshire Royal
biff
sandman The point is the name on his shirt is Gimes so it is entirely reasonable to call him that.

Did you not hear his reasoning? Nothing to do with his shirt, everything to do with Tim deciding he wasnt good enough for the name everyone else calls him. Out of order.

So he doesn't call Pelé the name people call him cos he's not as good as Pele. Liam Moore isn't as good as Bobby Moore, but he still calls him by the name he was given. Our Puskas isn't as good as the Hungarian Puscas, but he still calls him by his name.

I've never thought too much about Dellor, but he has sunk to a new low. I think he was just showing off that he could read Portuguese. What a dick.

Glen Little was awful as co-commentator. I know he has a rep for never shutting up but come on let the commentator describe the match action - not that Tim always bothers.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 Aug 2019 16:42

Hampshire Royal
biff

His name. though, is Gomes. Pele is only a name he chose to call himself. Whether that is a case of inflated ego, or admiration of THE Pele, only he can say! If Omar Richards decided to call himself Sharif how many would call him that?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 11 Aug 2019 17:04

His teammates in a junior team he played in called him Pelé because he scored a lot of goals, and it stuck. It may have been a joke, but so what? I'm happy to call him Pelé if that's what he wants. If we're talking about real names, Pele wasn't the original Pele's real name.

If Omar Richards was an actor, he couldn't call himself Omar Sharif, because the name's already taken.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2019 17:09

The Royal Forester
Hampshire Royal
biff

His name. though, is Gomes. Pele is only a name he chose to call himself. Whether that is a case of inflated ego, or admiration of THE Pele, only he can say! If Omar Richards decided to call himself Sharif how many would call him that?

I would. Sharif is a great name.

The issue is during the commentary he called him Pele up until the point he decided he was shit. After that he said something along the lines of "I feel silly calling him Pele, he doesn't deserve to be called Pele. I'm going to call him Gomes"

If he had started by calling him Gomes because of the shirt name i would get it. But he didnt. He called him that up until he decided he didnt want to.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Aug 2019 17:18

Am very pleased to read the positive write-ups on Richards' performance.
I don't rate Blackett (diabolical concentration levels) and had high hopes for Richards based on his early games.
During the transfer window and our splashing of funds on attacking players I did express the hope that we might sign a rugged left-footed left-back.
As we didn't, I am desperate for Richards to continue showing that early promise and out of yesterday's loss it is one piece of good news that he played well according to most onlookers.

Long may it continue and that he plays well enough to keep his place for years to come.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 11 Aug 2019 17:30

I agree with Victor about Richards!!

Bearing in mind that Pelé had only trained once or twice with his new team, I don't really know why Dellor took against him. As I said, he was just showing off that he could read Portuguese, cos he didn't really call him Gomes, he called him by his full name.

I've got a Portuguese friend and, believe me, it is a bizarrely difficult language.
Last edited by Hampshire Royal on 11 Aug 2019 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Aug 2019 17:32

Yiadom has had two really poor games so far. Could only imagine how much longer this thread would be if Gunter has put in two similar performances...

I wonder who Gomes fancies as second choice RB between Howe, Watson and Gunter. Obviously Gunter is still here, but he seemed to fancy Howe quite a bit in pre season

142 posts