142 posts
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - HULL CITY (AWAY)

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 12 Aug 2019 16:28

NewCorkSeth
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
NewCorkSeth
: What were Federici and McCarthy? Standard probably..

Federici was a standard keeper. He also had an issue with the near post by the way.
McCarthy was a combination of a great keeper and an occassional dodgy keeper. An excellant shot stopper but at times a bit of a flapper. He could have been great if we hadnt had wanted the cash from QPR.

I think we need a power post ranking all our keepers from best to worst.

I think the season we had 9 keepers would go down as the worst.
Can we name them!?

McCarthy and Shaka joint top for me

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2019 16:33

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
NewCorkSeth
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Federici was a standard keeper. He also had an issue with the near post by the way.
McCarthy was a combination of a great keeper and an occassional dodgy keeper. An excellant shot stopper but at times a bit of a flapper. He could have been great if we hadnt had wanted the cash from QPR.

Can we name them!?

What was the problem we all had with McCarthy again? His distribution?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 12 Aug 2019 16:35

NewCorkSeth
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
NewCorkSeth I think we need a power post ranking all our keepers from best to worst.

Can we name them!?

What was the problem we all had with McCarthy again? His distribution?

I didnt have a problem with McCarthy. Think it may have boiled down to him not being Federici. The fact McCarthy got on the pecking order for England keeper and is now keeping in the Premiership tells you he's decent.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Aug 2019 17:01

NewCorkSeth
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
NewCorkSeth
: What were Federici and McCarthy? Standard probably..

Feds I'd call standard. In fact I was going to put him as an example of a standard keeper.
McCarthy again I was going to put in as an example of a Great Keeper but as Dr says was occasionally dodgy so I hesitated.
It's beyond my capabilities to list them all in order but I'll give it my best shot:

1. Kebe
2. Kebe
3. Kebe
4 - 100 The rest.

HTH

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2019 18:05

Shaka - great
Hahnemann - great
Al Habsi - great

Everyone else standard to greater or lesser extents except:

Van der Kwaak
Sheppard

Who were shocking. Jury very out on Virginia.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2019 19:29

Everyone forgets how utter toilet Al-Habsi was for us first season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2019 19:36

CountryRoyal Everyone forgets how utter toilet Al-Habsi was for us first season.

He was pretty poor that is true. But he redeemed the hell out of himself. Pulled off saves most keepers wouldn't dream of getting to.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2019 19:41

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal Everyone forgets how utter toilet Al-Habsi was for us first season.

He was pretty poor that is true. But he redeemed the hell out of himself. Pulled off saves most keepers wouldn't dream of getting to.

I agree - just not sure he can go down as a “great” keeper.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2019 19:52

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth

I guess it's just about how well he did for the majority of his career. He wasnt too bad at Wigan was he? But you're probably correct. His fantastic season with us probably paints him as better than he was.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2019 20:06

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth He was pretty poor that is true. But he redeemed the hell out of himself. Pulled off saves most keepers wouldn't dream of getting to.

I guess it's just about how well he did for the majority of his career. He wasnt too bad at Wigan was he? But you're probably correct. His fantastic season with us probably paints him as better than he was.

That and he was a bit of a cult hero type figure which always rates highly amongst sports fans. We’re an emotional bunch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2019 20:22

This is simply nonsensical drivel. He had a couple of very poor games, relatively early on, but went on to be a justifiable PotS.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 12 Aug 2019 20:36

Snowflake Royal

This is simply nonsensical drivel. He had a couple of very poor games, relatively early on, but went on to be a justifiable PotS.

I agree

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Aug 2019 00:00

Let's stick with Virginia then he may be the same.

yuomi

by yuomi » 13 Aug 2019 00:49

2 world wars, 1 world cup Let's stick with Virginia then he may be the same.

Much easier to stick with a keeper who has 400+ appearances and a half-decent CV showing him having come good in the past than pin your hopes on a teenager whose conceded 5 goals in his first 2 professional games.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Aug 2019 09:22

yuomi

Much easier to stick with a keeper who has 400+ appearances and a half-decent CV showing him having come good in the past than pin your hopes on a teenager whose conceded 5 goals in his first 2 professional games.

How many goals did De Gea concede in his first 2 professional starts?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Aug 2019 09:49

NewCorkSeth
yuomi

3 it looks like, and at a younger age.

I think the issue with Virginia, no matter how good he may be one day, is that he's a 19 year old kid, which will always be a problem for some. Fine for a feisty energetic outfield player but keepers tend to peak late 20s to mid 30s. Needs a lot of experience to inspire confidence in his defence and command the area, not to mention do the basics over and over again like homework so it's second nature.

If he was 29 instead of 19 we might be a bit more forgiving. His fumbles thus far are confirming our biases that we can't go letting a kid get experience in such an important position for us, unless he shows very very soon that he's something quite spectacular.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 13 Aug 2019 09:50

Virginia has been fine imo. The defence and poor marking where just as bad and at fault for all 5 goals then he was. He is only 19 and will improve.

There is a reason that he is so highly thought of, whereas we have a backup option who was a flop in serie a who everybody thinks is the next Lev Yashin!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Aug 2019 09:55

2 world wars, 1 world cup
NewCorkSeth
yuomi

3 it looks like, and at a younger age.

I think the issue with Virginia, no matter how good he may be one day, is that he's a 19 year old kid, which will always be a problem for some. Fine for a feisty energetic outfield player but keepers tend to peak late 20s to mid 30s. Needs a lot of experience to inspire confidence in his defence and command the area, not to mention do the basics over and over again like homework so it's second nature.

If he was 29 instead of 19 we might be a bit more forgiving. His fumbles thus far are confirming our biases that we can't go letting a kid get experience in such an important position for us, unless he shows very very soon that he's something quite spectacular.

Maybe. I haven't really considered his age much (although it is hard to look past his age as a factor with such routine mistakes) but he just seems like he is not ready. Which is fine. We have Rafael and (shudder) Walker so we wont have to rely on him for 46 games.

If he develops well and can be counted on as back up then I have no issues with him. If he pushes Rafael in training then he will be fine till January when CBC takes the league by storm.

If he was 29 and performed like that I would say it was glue factory time.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 13 Aug 2019 10:05

You're thought from the age of 5 to cover your near post.

The guy is shit.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 13 Aug 2019 10:13

Well he isn't shit otherwise he wouldn't be a Premier League footballer would he.

142 posts