304 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Adam Federici

by Sutekh » 13 Aug 2019 20:28

When : Sunday 18 August, 12, noon
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

It's silly kick off time so Reading must be on the telly again and amazingly Leeds are not involved in any way shape or form (though their game is probably live at some other time over the weekend).

It's Cardiff and Colin that are back in town as Reading go looking for their first pointage of the season. Cardiff are safely ensconced in midtable having recovered from their opening day failure at Wigan by beating Luton 2-1 last time out with new signing Isaac Vassell (from Birmingham) netting the winner.

Cardiff were Premier League last season and so have a pretty useful squad for this level and, although Zohore is now at WBA, Colin has acquired some fairly useful players in the close season such as Will Vaulks from Rotherham, Robert Glatzel from Heidenheim and the aforementioned Vassell. In addition there are 3 ex Reading players currently on the books at Cardiff - Leandro Bacuna (unused sub in the Luton game), Matthew Connolly (who doesn't seem to be involved too often) and Sean Morrison who, barring some form of injury or disciplinary foul up will lead the Bluebirds defence. But at least Peter Whittingham isn't there any more (we have to wait for Blackburn for that treat)!

Reading look like they might promise something with the squad they have gathered so far, however it looks there is still a lot of gelling required as JG goes looking to establish a permutation that works successfully for 90 minutes. At least, currently, only Blackett looks to be on the treatment bench though obviously it's also too soon for Obita to be involved. Expectation will be that Rafael will start with Virginia relegated to the supporting role on the bench, Moore and Miazga should both start and Richards is also a must being the only fit left back (cue JG putting Yiadom there for the game then) add Rino to that lot and then it's anyone's guess what JG will come up with.

And it's on the telly.

Referee

Say hello to Andy Davies

Previously....

09 Mar 19 > Reading 3-2 Wigan Athetic
26 Dec 18 > Millwall 1-0 Reading
02 Oct 18 > Reading 0-1 Queens Park Rangers
28 Feb 18 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield United
19 Sep 17 > Reading 0-2 Swansea City (LC)
07 Mar 17 > Reading 0-0 Newcastle United
26 Dec 16 > Reading 3-1 Norwich City
29 Oct 16 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
06 Aug 16 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
15 Sep 15 > Reading 0-1 Derby County

Historically

Cardiff are one of those fairly regular opponents of Reading with games stretching all the way back to Southern League days. Since joining the FL though there have been 58 league games with this game being the 30th at home against them. Of the previous 29 games Reading have won 12 and drawn 11 with the remaining 6 games going the way of the Welsh

Reading though have not been having the best of times at home against Cardiff as only 1 win has been mustered from the last 9 home games in all competitions though most of those games finished as 1-1.

Finally, Reading are really cr@p at keeping clean sheets in home league fixtures against Cardiff having managed precisely zero in the last 18 attempts.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. It’s on SKY

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Adam Federici

by Zip » 13 Aug 2019 21:14

Thanks Suts. Informative as ever.

Tekkers

by Tekkers » 13 Aug 2019 21:29

I dread to think what battering we're going to get this weekend.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Aug 2019 08:19

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Swift
Rino

Ejaria
Puscas
Boye

Joao

Walker, Morrison, Gunter, Pele, Meite, Olise, Baldock

Not sure if Puscas can play there but wanted to fit him and Joao in the same team. Think it’ll take a while for Pele to get used to the team and I don’t think Sunday is the right game for him

Gunter on the bench because I really don’t see the point of having two CB’s. McIntyre did well yesterday but it’s a waste of a bench spot. Harsh on Barrett but can’t really find a place for him, fully expect Loader and Adam to be there in place of Olise and Baldock though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 09:01

-------------------Rafael
Yiadom--Moore---Miazga--Richards
----------------Rino---Pele
Meite------------Swift---------------Boye
---------------------Joao

Virginia
Howe
Morrison
Ejaria
Olise
Puscas
Barrett

I would like to see Barrett be the second option for Boye. Ejaria and Olise as our midfield subs (with Swift able to move back too). With a fluid formation we can make a lot of changes just with the players we have on the pitch.

Struggling to get forward? Switch to:
--------------------Pele
---------------Rino---Swift
-------------------Boye
---------------Joao---Meite

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 14 Aug 2019 09:14

Hows our recent record against Colin? I remember for a long time we repeatedly beat his teams (or at least frustrated them with draws) have a feeling that worm has turned though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2019 09:25

NewCorkSeth -------------------Rafael

Virginia
Howe
Morrison
Ejaria
Olise
Puscas
Barrett

I would like to see Barrett be the second option for Boye. Ejaria and Olise as our midfield subs (with Swift able to move back too). With a fluid formation we can make a lot of changes just with the players we have on the pitch.

--------------------Pele
-------------------Boye

Tough to pick the team. Guessing the above but Puscas for Boye. Maybe Ejaria for Boye otherwise.

Lots of good options on the bench. My main concern is the defence still seems a little flimsy and Moore and Miazga are going to have to be at their best, which Moore sounds like he hasn’t been so far particularly

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 09:40

Hound
NewCorkSeth -------------------Rafael

Virginia
Howe
Morrison
Ejaria
Olise
Puscas
Barrett

--------------------Pele
-------------------Boye

Tough to pick the team. Guessing the above but Puscas for Boye. Maybe Ejaria for Boye otherwise.

Lots of good options on the bench. My main concern is the defence still seems a little flimsy and Moore and Miazga are going to have to be at their best, which Moore sounds like he hasn’t been so far particularly

Neither have been good but my guess is Gomes will use the spectre of Morrison looming over them for 1 more game before dropping one. Perhaps they can take that as a kick up the arse.

Also I find it very easy to criticise CBs. They have been poor yes but a lot of that has come from

A) Our style of play. With WBs that high up the pitch the CBs need an anchor man ahead of them to do the first closing down. Other wise they are just continually backing off an unrushing attack waiting for Yids and Richards to arrive. Pele needs to fill this role.

B) Poor organisation. There has been too many mix ups. Perhaps Moore is suffering from being the only voice in the back 7 (probably the whole team). Last season we had Martinez who was vocal and commanding and Baker (in a water carrier role) who was passionate and loud. That helped us a lot. None of our GKs, Defenders or Midfield command authority other than Moore. Being the lone voice is hard. Morrison might change that. Its asking too much of Rinomhota to also be a leader right now (although with more gametjne he could be a great midfield general - Mainly because I think he could do anything)

C) Poor Goalkeeping. Ignoring the debate about age, experience and ability, Virginia has looked nervous. When defenders dont have trust in their keeper they adapt their game. They dont rush to meet oncoming okayers as much. They hang back to assist with a block or last ditch tackle. That is not how we need to play if we insist on Wing Backs and playing it out from the back.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Aug 2019 09:59

Andy Davies = we're screwed.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2019 15:51

I stick by my view that we need to play three at the back on Sunday so Morrison to come into the side. I would go with Low’s side which would mean no place for Swift, Meite or Boye.
So Rafael in goal with Moore, Miazga and Morrison at centre back. Yiadom and Richards playing as wing backs with Pele at CDM and Ejaria and Rinomhota in central midfield. Joao and Puscas up top.

Very tough on certain players but we have to stop conceding goals especially from set pieces. We could also do with providing more threat from set pieces. So Morrison in against what will be a big and physical Cardiff side.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 16:28

Zip I stick by my view that we need to play three at the back on Sunday so Morrison to come into the side. I would go with Low’s side which would mean no place for Swift, Meite or Boye.
So Rafael in goal with Moore, Miazga and Morrison at centre back. Yiadom and Richards playing as wing backs with Pele at CDM and Ejaria and Rinomhota in central midfield. Joao and Puscas up top.

Very tough on certain players but we have to stop conceding goals especially from set pieces. We could also do with providing more threat from set pieces. So Morrison in against what will be a big and physical Cardiff side.

Odd considering most of the times we have looked truly dangerous this season have come when Swift has been involved in the build up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2019 17:04

Yep and also much less chance of looking a danger from set piece if no Swift to take them

I think he has to play personally. Big fan of Ejaria but would drop him out for Swift for this one. He has had no real competitive action for a while before Wycombe, Cardiff a little too soon for him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2019 17:36

I don't really get the logic of saying we should push our full backs even higher and chuck in an extra centreback when our main problem outside set pieces is that our flanks are totally exposed because our full backs push on too much.

I'd rather we licenced our midfielders to play 10 - 15 yards ahead of our CBs, rather than next to them and pulled our full backs back 10 - 15 yards.

It'll link the team to attack better. It'll help win more second balls.

Rafael
Yiadom, Miazga, Moore, Richards
Rino, Pele
Meite, Swift, Boye*
Joao

* or Ejaria, Puscas or Barrett

Aim Goal kicks at Meite or Boye on the byline midway into their half. Take the odd one short when there's space.

Play in a structured, organised way.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Aug 2019 18:34

I'd go 5-3-2 for this; 3 CBs will help withstand the Warnock aerial barrage and it's a natural way to fit in Puscas and Joao in their best position.

Rafael
Yiadom Moore Miazga Morrison Richards
Rino Ejaria
Swift
Joao Puscas

Yiadom and Richards would have to show attacking intent to give us width, which the 3 CBs would allow. I'm unsure of the midfield combo; Rino is key but Swift, Ejaria and Pele would be competing for 2 spots. I'd give Ejaria a deeper role and Swift further forward, but I can see reasons why you would include Pele instead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2019 18:41

Yeah I think that’s how I’d go with Pele in for Ejaria

Tough though. And very harsh on Meite.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Aug 2019 18:59

Referee Andy Davies is a fraud and a charlatan.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Aug 2019 19:07

What an insult to frauds and charlatans.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2019 19:09

NewCorkSeth
Zip I stick by my view that we need to play three at the back on Sunday so Morrison to come into the side. I would go with Low’s side which would mean no place for Swift, Meite or Boye.

Odd considering most of the times we have looked truly dangerous this season have come when Swift has been involved in the build up.

It’s a difficult one because Swift has been more creative so far this season. No issue with him in for Ejaria but we really do need Morrison in for this one as Cardiff will target us at set pieces. I would take a 0-0 on Sunday.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2019 19:11

WestYorksRoyal I'd go 5-3-2 for this; 3 CBs will help withstand the Warnock aerial barrage and it's a natural way to fit in Puscas and Joao in their best position.

Rafael
Yiadom Moore Miazga Morrison Richards
Rino Ejaria
Swift
Joao Puscas

Yiadom and Richards would have to show attacking intent to give us width, which the 3 CBs would allow. I'm unsure of the midfield combo; Rino is key but Swift, Ejaria and Pele would be competing for 2 spots. I'd give Ejaria a deeper role and Swift further forward, but I can see reasons why you would include Pele instead.

We are not far apart in our thinking. Cardiff are a big old side. Their fans are making reference to this more so this season. We really need Morrison in for this one.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 14 Aug 2019 20:28

Old Man Andrews Referee Andy Davies is a fraud and a charlatan.

I think he is the worst referee in the league by a mile.

304 posts