Will we get found out again?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Will we get found out again?

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Aug 2019 18:21

Denver Royal Baker progressed well, but he took a while to bed in, and some were less than impressed early doors.
Pele has prolly started much the faster of the two.

2 games. 1 bad, 1 good. Let's give him a few more games.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Aug 2019 13:26

I'd we do stick with 3-5-2, does Blackett effectively become a CB option when fit? McIntyre seems like the only current backup option Gomes trusts, do this would make sense if Richards and Obita can cover LWB. Some of Blackett's best performances under Stam came as the left sided CB in 3-5-2

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Aug 2019 13:59

In answer to the original question, yes we will be found out - when we get onto the PL next season.

Ranger_762

by Ranger_762 » 20 Aug 2019 15:39

Yes, unfortunately, everything that isn't in the Premier League doesn't exist in terms of media coverage... Women are lucky to have enjoyed some time under the sun with their recent world cup, but that's all.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 20 Aug 2019 18:29

I said on the Wycombe match thread that I wanted to reserve judgement until we actually took the lead in a game - the transfer activity suggested we are building a team that will be dangerous on the counter with fast interplay through the middle - any width will come from full/wing backs rather than 'traditional' wingers like Barrow and GMac. That plan went out the window in each of the games where we had gone 1 down, and only once managed to end the game avoiding defeat.

Sure enough we go 1 up against Cardiff and then take them apart after that, without ever looking under much threat. The change in shape makes us even more dangerous than I expected - Ejaria and Swift offer a nice balance of ball progression through dribbling and passing (some of Swifts quick passes on Sunday into Puscas/Joao were exceptional) and I expect Pele/Rinomhota to rotate the CDM role. Defensively, we were happy to sit in and concede possession in wide areas, trusting M-M-M to deal with anything sent into the box, as they did all game.

It was only one game, but I think this new shape will especially suit us in away games where the emphasis will be on the home team to be on the front foot. I can see us winning a fair few games comfortably once we take a lead, however I still see us struggling to break down teams that are happy to sit on a lead or come for a point*. To that extent, WRTTOP, I cant see us getting 'found out' any time soon, especially away from home, but if we do it's because the new system would have been successful up to that point.

*-this is a bit of a paradox - given our record over the last few seasons, its unlikely that any team will set up to only take a point against us unless we really kick on from here and challenge at the top end of the table, but by being a better team more visitors will be happy to come for a point and we will do worse (according to my theory)...

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 20 Aug 2019 18:49

We've won one game and people are asking if we'll be found out :lol:

You're all acting like we've won ten in a row and are top of the league.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Aug 2019 22:21

WestYorksRoyal I'd we do stick with 3-5-2, does Blackett effectively become a CB option when fit? McIntyre seems like the only current backup option Gomes trusts, do this would make sense if Richards and Obita can cover LWB. Some of Blackett's best performances under Stam came as the left sided CB in 3-5-2

Well, yes, I imagine Blackett will still be an option at CB. In the past, some thought left CB in a 3 was his most suitable position. Obv needs to get healthy first.

Brain Traysers, good post (as usual). If this shape actually suits and serves us well on the road, without much adjustment, then great. We’ve needed to solve our away form for a while now, and obv that’s one of the keys to promotion.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Aug 2019 22:37

WestYorksRoyal 3) Gomes. Have we ever had a manager better at man management and building a good atmosphere? It took Coppell a few years; Gomes did it in a couple of months with a team desperately out of form and seemingly bound for League 1. Early signs are he's doing the same now. I'm not saying he's our best ever manager; everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It seems like he's incredibly good at the man management side of things.

Return of NH shouldn't be underestimated. As SJM's wingman. He knows what's required throughout the whole club not just the first team. O'Shea is another man manager. Who'll help Gomes considerably.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 20 Aug 2019 22:41

Hound yeah Nova is surely on his way

JS wasn't completely right thankfully as he did play for us vs Sheff Wed

But he is probably well down the list, which is likely Puscas > Joao > Meite > Boye > Loader > Baldock > Nova at the moment

As a Yank, I wanted to see Nova break into the 1st team. But, as a Royals fan, I love the idea of being stacked for talent to the point where we don't need Loader or Nova. I would be disappointed if we didn't see Olise get more-regular playing time.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Aug 2019 23:36

Victor Meldrew I shouldn't worry too much about what system we play.
Yesterday we won not because of the system but because the players were so flexible and efficient in their movement with interchanging going on all over the park.
At one stage we had Miazga doing a Sheff Utd (centre-back attacking wide right) when Yiadom was in the centre-forward position, a touch of the Dutch total football.

Liverpool and City aren't so good because of the system that they play and Barcelona have been successful just playing the same way and scoring more goals than the opposition.
It is about players having footballing brains and it does look as though this new crop are better educated than what we have had for some time when so many have been one-dimentional.

This 100%

This looked like a team of skilful confident players who knew each other's game. The ability to control easily and pass under pressure, most of them with either foot is the result of buying quality, more than anything else.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Aug 2019 09:41

2 world wars, 1 world cup 5-3-2/3-5-2 demolished Cardiff, and we clearly have the players to do it justice.

Stam had only one plan, worked for a time until we were found out, with no plan B.

I'm worried this may work for a short while but at some point it will be effectively neutralised and we'll struggle without another plan.

1) Do we
a) have a second plan and
b) have the players for that plan (eg where are our wingers)?

2) Of course, a team with a plan good enough and players good enough can ideally carry on doing their own thing regardless and force teams to have to react eg Colin is no fool and he tried to respond, but failed. Are we potentially too good anyway to have to worry?

Discuss.

maybe we will, maybe we wont, but its one game gone FFS. Does it matter. Leave that to the manager. Enjoy.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 21 Aug 2019 10:17

StellaPlease We've won one game and people are asking if we'll be found out :lol:

I don't know which game you saw, if you did watch it, but the way we won that one game was absolutely brilliant - a complete performance from a complete team. Sure, we will lose games, but these defeats will be few and far between. Wednesday are now top of the league, so at this point in the season, going by league position, we may not win the leage so will have to settle for second place (like we did in 2002).

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 21 Aug 2019 11:16

Hampshire Royal
StellaPlease We've won one game and people are asking if we'll be found out :lol:

I don't know which game you saw, if you did watch it, but the way we won that one game was absolutely brilliant - a complete performance from a complete team. Sure, we will lose games, but these defeats will be few and far between. Wednesday are now top of the league, so at this point in the season, going by league position, we may not win the leage so will have to settle for second place (like we did in 2002).

What on earth are you rambling on about?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 12:25

Just a thought, but if Puscas had taken that hat-trick goal
and Meite had scored the penalty, what would bookies
and pundits and Nobbers be saying?

(Apart from "Reading won 5-0")

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2019 12:53

Snowball Just a thought, but if Puscas had taken that hat-trick goal

Much the same. It's one result.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Aug 2019 12:56

Tbf, Swift scored right after GP went off/missed, so it is realistic to say the penalty would've been the 4th :wink:

Dandy Biscuits

by Dandy Biscuits » 21 Aug 2019 13:15

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Baker progressed well, but he took a while to bed in, and some were less than impressed early doors.
Pele has prolly started much the faster of the two.

2 games. 1 bad, 1 good. Let's give him a few more games.

I am very interested to see the next few games play out. I am hoping the Cardiff match was a signs of things to come. It seems that Jose has the know how and the players at his disposal at last. Puscas looks like a steal at 8 million (Leeds and the Brummies are loudly moaning that we landed him). All this optimism is making me nervous.

Up the Biscuitmen!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 13:36

Snowflake Royal

Much the same. It's one result.

Yeah, of COURSE

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 Aug 2019 13:51

Hendo

Tbf, Swift scored right after GP went off/missed, so it is realistic to say the penalty would've been the 4th :wink:

Who's to say there would have been a penalty, had Pucas scored? When he missed, the game restarted with a goal kick by a Cardiff player, had he scored the game would have restarted with a kick off by a Reading player. Therefore, from THAT POINT ONWARDS THE ENTIRE PATTERN OF PLAY for the rest of the match would have been different. This is something fans (me included) don't think about when they say "If we had scored that penalty we would have won." "If their offside goal wasn't allowed, we would have got a point" etc.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 15:06

The Royal Forester
Hendo

Who's to say there would have been a penalty, had Pucas scored? When he missed, the game restarted with a goal kick by a Cardiff player, had he scored the game would have restarted with a kick off by a Reading player. Therefore, from THAT POINT ONWARDS THE ENTIRE PATTERN OF PLAY for the rest of the match would have been different. This is something fans (me included) don't think about when they say "If we had scored that penalty we would have won." "If their offside goal wasn't allowed, we would have got a point" etc.

You miss the point. We dominated and could have had 4 or 5 goals

The question was simply, "If we'd scored five, what would went be thinking?"