Bowen interview

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Bowen interview

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Aug 2019 08:52

Great interview with Mark Bowen here, covering a wealth of topics. Too lazy to go into specifics, but he looks a very astute appointment and another sign that the club is moving in the right direction after the Gourlay era

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... r-16802043

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bowen interview

by andrew1957 » 23 Aug 2019 09:09

Yes indeed a very positive interview. He sounds like a grounded and sensible chap who said all the right things - well worth a read for anyone who has not seen it.

I can only think that the current owners were sucked in by Gourlay's CV and it is a shame his era turned out to be a disaster but they have now clearly sought out grounded and sensible people at all levels of senior management at the club from Howe as CEO, Bowen as Sporting Director and Ged Roddy at the Academy.

It might be a tad early for the manager and the team to make the PL this season but things are definitely looking up and I do believe that we will get there again before too long and Mr Dai probably has the finances to keep us there for a good while.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Aug 2019 09:20

Very good and interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 23 Aug 2019 09:43

Interesting-ish. What I take out from it is that Dai and Julie are really, properly invested in the club - both financially and emotionally. And that's a very good thing.

#LiveFastDaiYongge

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Aug 2019 10:49

Yeah a good read. Looks a good appointment so far

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Aug 2019 11:34

Good read.

I forgot our owner also owns a Belgian club - KSV Roeselare, So it makes sense that they would be looking to loan some of our younger players.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Aug 2019 20:44

A reassuring read especially regarding FFP. Good stuff.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Aug 2019 00:49

Good article and interview by Low. Just a shame he’s had very little praise for it, yet he was faced with a lot of criticism last week after his Meite tweet where he was only following guidelines. Although it’s not a surprise really

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Aug 2019 00:50

URZZZZ Good article and interview by Low. Just a shame he’s had very little praise for it, yet he was faced with a lot of criticism last week after his Meite tweet where he was only following guidelines. Although it’s not a surprise really

Low strikes me as pretty laid back. I don’t think he will take it to heart. He is doing a perfectly decent job.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Aug 2019 07:24

Zip
URZZZZ Good article and interview by Low. Just a shame he’s had very little praise for it, yet he was faced with a lot of criticism last week after his Meite tweet where he was only following guidelines. Although it’s not a surprise really

Low strikes me as pretty laid back. I don’t think he will take it to heart. He is doing a perfectly decent job.

Got upstaged by Friday in the transfer window

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Aug 2019 07:42

WestYorksRoyal
Zip

Got upstaged by Friday in the transfer window

Does it matter? Low upstaged Friday in the January transfer window. Low has plenty of decent stuff on his twitter feed. I don’t see the need for some fans to constantly attack the guy. The sense of entitlement amongst some of our fans is laughable.p

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Aug 2019 07:44

That made for nice reading and it all sounded positive. Interesting about the bit about taking out the excuses. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I can imagine in the past it would be far too easy to blame poor performances on superfluous factors. Taking away as many as those things for preparation and the players have nowhere to hide. Accountability can only be a good thing and raise levels from everyone.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Aug 2019 09:51

CountryRoyal That made for nice reading and it all sounded positive. Interesting about the bit about taking out the excuses. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I can imagine in the past it would be far too easy to blame poor performances on superfluous factors. Taking away as many as those things for preparation and the players have nowhere to hide. Accountability can only be a good thing and raise levels from everyone.

Do you think he was referring to past or present players here or just players at clubs hes worked with in the past?

I would love him to expand on that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2019 13:04

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal That made for nice reading and it all sounded positive. Interesting about the bit about taking out the excuses. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I can imagine in the past it would be far too easy to blame poor performances on superfluous factors. Taking away as many as those things for preparation and the players have nowhere to hide. Accountability can only be a good thing and raise levels from everyone.

Do you think he was referring to past or present players here or just players at clubs hes worked with in the past?

I would love him to expand on that.

I read it as both.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Aug 2019 13:11

Yes very much liked the bit about taking away the excuses. Only way for players to improve

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Aug 2019 13:41

I quite like this idea of a sporting director, someone who's not involved in the day to day running of the business or the footballing side but has inside knowledge of the game who can go out and look at best practice and see how we can implement it throughout the club.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 25 Aug 2019 11:03

From Despair To Where? I quite like this idea of a sporting director, someone who's not involved in the day to day running of the business or the footballing side but has inside knowledge of the game who can go out and look at best practice and see how we can implement it throughout the club.

I agree

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 15:45

Well he came across well here a couple of months ago.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 15:55

WestYorksRoyal Well he came across well here a couple of months ago.

But he led to the sacking of our Messiah Gomes with that amazing win percentage....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Oct 2019 19:56

paultheroyal
WestYorksRoyal Well he came across well here a couple of months ago.

But he led to the sacking of our Messiah Gomes with that amazing win percentage....

Selective use of stats there. Try PPG to get a fairer more representative view.

Also how about taking account of the fact that he lost three key players at the end of last season and two others didn't rejoin until the start of this. That left him just 9-10 weeks (less international breaks) to work with his full new squad.

As for the wonderful words from the Snake Bowen about 'No Excuses', he and his great mates Niedzwiecki and Hughes trotted that out when they were at Southampton - didn't serve them particularly well there did it?