The Great, Big Royal International Thread

145 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Great, Big Royal International Thread

by Hound » 09 Sep 2019 12:14

again agree. Been banging on for weeks about how good we should be from corners

Swift's aren't bad, but they could be better.Hopefully they've been practicing them over the break

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Sep 2019 13:24

Hound again agree. Been banging on for weeks about how good we should be from corners

Swift's aren't bad, but they could be better.Hopefully they've been practicing them over the break

He was garbage at Hull, as was Adam. Admittedly conditions were difficult that day, but a corner is from a fixed position and to squander several in a row is inexcusable

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Sep 2019 13:45

John Smith
Hound again agree. Been banging on for weeks about how good we should be from corners

He was garbage at Hull, as was Adam. Admittedly conditions were difficult that day, but a corner is from a fixed position and to squander several in a row is inexcusable

When we say his arent bad what we are really saying is his are the best we have right now. Swift is somehow both very good at set pieces and absolutely shit at set pieces at the same time. Schrodingers set pieces.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 09 Sep 2019 16:06

Nameless
KC Royal Noticed that McIntyre wasn't involved at all, not even on the bench, for Scotland u21s yesterday, which was odd. Hope he hasn't picked up an injury.

He wasn’t involved in the squad this time. Don’t believe he has an injury.

That's odd. The club said when Holsgrove was called up on the 19th Aug that McIntyre had been called up as well. The BBC also reported it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49397515

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2019 17:24

NewCorkSeth
John Smith

When we say his arent bad what we are really saying is his are the best we have right now. Swift is somehow both very good at set pieces and absolutely shit at set pieces at the same time. Schrodingers set pieces.

Corners are very rarely a good source of goals.

You want crosses against defences that are scrambling and heading back towards their own goal with midfield trailing, not crosses at a static, packed and prepared defence and midfield.

Unfortunately we don't have a single player whose natural inclination is to go outside and whip a cross in from the byline. Few even want to hit one in from deep.

They all want to run around the edges of the box or cut inside. Maybe if we're lucky pull a short one back toward the penalty spot from the byline inside the box.

Need a total shape change to see many crosses flying in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Sep 2019 17:28

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
John Smith He was garbage at Hull, as was Adam. Admittedly conditions were difficult that day, but a corner is from a fixed position and to squander several in a row is inexcusable

Corners are very rarely a good source of goals.

You wanted crosses against defences that are scrambling and heading back towards their own goal with midfield trailing, not crosses at a static, packed and prepared defence and midfield.

Unfortunately we don't have a single player whose natural inclination is to go outside and whip a cross in from the byline. Few even want to hit one in from deep.

They all want to run around the edges of the box or cut inside. Maybe if we're lucky pull a short one back toward the penalty spot from the byline inside the box.

Need a total shape change to see many crosses flying in.

Yeah we had a discussion on here in the last 2 years about corners being shite for goals. I remember reading an interesting article breaking it down.

I *think* Richards and Blackett are both quite good at going wide and smacking in a cross but I think it's mostly from deeper positions than Puşcaş would require. They're more suited to a Yann Kermorgant type.

I think more than the shape problem is that Yiadom is one of our most used attacking links and he rarely hits them first time. He likes to cut in or beat his man first.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2019 17:29

Yeah, should have said shape and personnel

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2019 17:46

KC Royal
Nameless
KC Royal Noticed that McIntyre wasn't involved at all, not even on the bench, for Scotland u21s yesterday, which was odd. Hope he hasn't picked up an injury.

He wasn’t involved in the squad this time. Don’t believe he has an injury.

That's odd. The club said when Holsgrove was called up on the 19th Aug that McIntyre had been called up as well. The BBC also reported it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49397515

Not really. Just because you are called up doesn’t mean you actually go along, especially at U21 level.
I wouldn’t worry about it, don’t think there is anything more than he opted not to go this time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Sep 2019 21:47

Richards didnt play tonight but there is something I'm confused about. The other full backs brought were Aarons, Justin and Sessegnon. All Right Backs. Bit odd to play all 3 of them over an actual LB. I mean Sessegnon might be great for all I know but hes only player 4 games in his career..

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Sep 2019 21:53

NewCorkSeth Richards didnt play tonight but there is something I'm confused about. The other full backs brought were Aarons, Justin and Sessegnon. All Right Backs. Bit odd to play all 3 of them over an actual LB. I mean Sessegnon might be great for all I know but hes only player 4 games in his career..

Don’t worry, I’m sure Richards is used to having RB’s play ahead of him in his position...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Oct 2019 00:50

Richards called up to the England U21. That makes it 13 players from us on international duty

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Oct 2019 10:39

Romania v Faroe Islands Euro 2020 Qualifier at 5pm today. They also take on Norway on Tuesday. A goal or two for George Puscas away from our place will no doubt do him a world of good.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Oct 2019 10:52

Delighted to see Richard's made his Under21 debut. He deserves it. He really stepped it up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Oct 2019 10:59

NewCorkSeth Delighted to see Richard's made his Under21 debut. He deserves it. He really stepped it up.

Yes, JG and his team really did seem to have brought Omar Richards much closer to fulfilling his potential so much so that most of us didn’t understand why Jordan Obita took his place when he regained fitness.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Oct 2019 12:12

Sutekh
NewCorkSeth Delighted to see Richard's made his Under21 debut. He deserves it. He really stepped it up.

Yes, JG and his team really did seem to have brought Omar Richards much closer to fulfilling his potential so much so that most of us didn’t understand why Jordan Obita took his place when he regained fitness.

My only guess on that was leadership. Needed another voice on the pitch. It didnt work obviously. Richard's deserved his spot.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Oct 2019 18:32

Puscas scores for Rumania again.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 12 Oct 2019 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Oct 2019 18:33

George managing to do for Romania what he can’t do for us :x

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Oct 2019 18:45

URZZZZ George managing to do for Romania what he can’t do for us :x

I’m watching the game. Romania were playing like Reading and Puscas has barely had a kick.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Oct 2019 19:03

leon
URZZZZ George managing to do for Romania what he can’t do for us :x

I’m watching the game. Romania were playing like Reading and Puscas has barely had a kick.

Yeah they did a bit

Nice run and finish for the goal though

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Oct 2019 22:38

Couldn't help noting how miserable Puscas looked AFTER scoring his goal

145 posts