BFTG Boro

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

BFTG Boro

by Kitsondinho » 14 Sep 2019 19:54

Well....what can you say about that? We started poorly and could have been 1-0 down on two occasions inside the first five. However, we then took control of the match and played really well. Meite was an absolute handful and if he could shoot accurately, we would have gone 1-0 up. 0-0 at HT was pretty fair overall. Second half we started poorly (again) and they scored the simplest goal we will concede all season. Again, that seemed to wake us up and we were excellent in pouring forward to get level.....until it came to shooting.....Joao, Ovie, Boye, Meite and others were guilty of taking one too many touches time and again. Nobody had a bad game in my view but we made a couple of daft mistakes that cost us the match. Swift, Yiadom and Meite were my standouts for us for me.

krapmle

Re: BFTG Boro

by krapmle » 14 Sep 2019 19:59

sorry no excuses. Boro were a poor team but we were just as bad. I know its early in the season and, and, and but today was very disappointing

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 14 Sep 2019 20:08

krapmle sorry no excuses. Boro were a poor team but we were just as bad. I know its early in the season and, and, and but today was very disappointing

We played well, but failed to score. This is where we are at the moment. I said we’d finish mid-table at the start of the season, all the evidence so far suggests that will be the case. A nice, quiet stabilising year would not be a bad thing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Sep 2019 20:26

krapmle sorry no excuses. Boro were a poor team but we were just as bad. I know its early in the season and, and, and but today was very disappointing

Was watching Norwich vs City earlier. You know, 12 months ago approx Norwich went to Ipswich and went 1-0 down. Had they lost that game, Farke may have gone, a lot of fans were calling for him to be sacked. They got an equaliser and never looked back. After seven games last year, they had 1 more point than us

The point being is that managers do need time nowadays. Some managers can fix things quickly, but the majority need time to instil their philosophy. Even Pep at City only just sneaked champions league first season

Now Gomes makes mistakes. Some big ones I think. Freezing out certain players is one, dropping too deep is another, some of his substitutions are naive, picking wingers up front. But it’s all a learning curve for him. It’s not about winning all the games at this moment. It’s about the team understanding what the manager wants from them and impacting upon that

Starting to think the wins against Cardiff and Huddersfield are a negative because it raised expectations too much. It is frustrating, but you just have to give this team some time

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 14 Sep 2019 20:34

URZZZZ

Was watching Norwich vs City earlier. You know, 12 months ago approx Norwich went to Ipswich and went 1-0 down. Had they lost that game, Farke may have gone, a lot of fans were calling for him to be sacked. They got an equaliser and never looked back. After seven games last year, they had 1 more point than us

The point being is that managers do need time nowadays. Some managers can fix things quickly, but the majority need time to instil their philosophy. Even Pep at City only just sneaked champions league first season

Now Gomes makes mistakes. Some big ones I think. Freezing out certain players is one, dropping too deep is another, some of his substitutions are naive, picking wingers up front. But it’s all a learning curve for him. It’s not about winning all the games at this moment. It’s about the team understanding what the manager wants from them and impacting upon that

Starting to think the wins against Cardiff and Huddersfield are a negative because it raised expectations too much. It is frustrating, but you just have to give this team some time

This

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2019 20:41

Yes. Also, whilst we’ve spent some money on new players, it sounds like it certainly wasn’t a case of going shit or bust this season. Definitely a longer term plan

Am worried we’re starting to turn into Brentford mk2 - stats in our favour, who scored ratings high but not winning games - conceding soft goals under little pressure

The save from Joao was excellent on another note

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 14 Sep 2019 20:48

URZZZZ

Good post, and I agree.

Also I agree that time is needed, sometimes a season or two. I think that SSC had 3 seasons before he delivered. Patience is a virtue.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 14 Sep 2019 20:52

Kitsondinho
URZZZZ

This

This again.
Last edited by oldebiscuit on 14 Sep 2019 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Sep 2019 21:23

I think we suffered from a perceived over confidence. I felt the exact same way after that first half as I did after the first half against Charlton. We looked like a good team who presumed we would win against both.

I think it is either the fault of the players or the coaching staff that we have had 2, essentially identical, first halves in a row (with an international break in between) where we have struggled to looked bothered to not score.

The confidence that we will score seems to not actually help us as it does many teams.

The subs were shocking. We looked over and done after the double sub. Yes we had chances but mostly from set pieces where we overloaded the front and a better team (like Charlton did) would have torn us a new one at the back.

The ref was shite. Maybe the worst I can remember seeing.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 Sep 2019 21:59

When do we start to get concerned about the amount of sitters Puscas is missing?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Sep 2019 22:30

oldebiscuit
URZZZZ

Good post, and I agree.

Also I agree that time is needed, sometimes a season or two. I think that SSC had 3 seasons before he delivered. Patience is a virtue.

The problem we’ve got is the owners “Want” promotion...so regardless of what the supporters want or the fact that he should be given time to make mistakes & learn, Gomes will be on a shorter leash in their eyes than ours

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Sep 2019 22:44

Being an adopted Northerner, I only make a handful of games most season and was unfortunate to have my holiday booked for the Hull and Huddersfield matches. Being my first game of the season, I had several observations. I follow our reports, podcast etc. closely, so it's not off today alone.

- we are a long way ahead of last season. We controlled most of the game and didn't deserve to lose. Rudolph made several big saves.

- Our defence looks solid most of the time, but the goal was utterly woeful. We had been let off the hook a couple of minutes earlier with a well worked offside set piece. So disappointing set piece defending and a disappointing way to lose.

- Ejaria is clearly a class player, but today was not his day. Barely touched the ball in the first half. Swift was much better; ran the game at times.

- Puscas' start outside the Cardiff game has not been good enough. He only really had one touch today when he put Richards' cross over the bar. The pace and trajectory means it wasn't a sitter, but a genuine 20 goal striker at this level would have converted. Needs to improve to look like value for money.

- I love Meite, but his limitations are very real. Unreliable first touch, bad decision making at key moments and poor execution too. He played as well as we could expect, but we'll never be anything more than lower mid table with him leading the line. You just don't have faith in anything happening when he gets the ball in a good area.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 23:11

I keep hearing about Meite’s limitations. He is under-estimated on here. He is good in the air, pretty quick, puts himself about and reasonably composed in front of goal. His first touch isn’t great but that’s why he is playing in the Championship. His goal conversion rate was impressive last season as he really didn’t miss many chances.

Gomes didn’t rest Puscas and Joao. He dropped them and rightly so after their dismal performances against Charlton. Both have been underwhelming since Cardiff. Neither should be certain starters.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Sep 2019 23:21

Zip I keep hearing about Meite’s limitations. He is under-estimated on here. He is good in the air, pretty quick, puts himself about and reasonably composed in front of goal. His first touch isn’t great but that’s why he is playing in the Championship. His goal conversion rate was impressive last season as he really didn’t miss many chances.

Gomes didn’t rest Puscas and Joao. He dropped them and rightly so after their dismal performances against Charlton. Both have been underwhelming since Cardiff. Neither should be certain starters.

They’ve both started two games since Cardiff (H), Joao (Huddersfield + Charlton), Puscas (WBA + Charlton). Ejaria has had two underwhelming games in a row so should we drop him next game too?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 23:23

URZZZZ
Zip I keep hearing about Meite’s limitations. He is under-estimated on here. He is good in the air, pretty quick, puts himself about and reasonably composed in front of goal. His first touch isn’t great but that’s why he is playing in the Championship. His goal conversion rate was impressive last season as he really didn’t miss many chances.

They’ve both started two games since Cardiff (H), Joao (Huddersfield + Charlton), Puscas (WBA + Charlton). Ejaria has had two underwhelming games in a row so should we drop him next game too?

I’m not the manager. Clearly as manager Jose Gomes chose to drop our strikers. They were both very poor against Charlton. Ejaria has not been very poor in any game this season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Sep 2019 23:26

From my view, when he gets the ball in a good area and gets past the full back, as happened a couple of times today, I simply don't expect a chance at the end of it. You can blame Boye or a lack of options to find, but ultimately his final product is rarely good enough. He's best when he finishes on instinct; when he actually has time to think it goes wrong.

Joao and Puscas need to be kept on their toes and shouldn't be assured of a place, but they are undoubtedly capable of more than Meite.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 23:32

WestYorksRoyal

From my view, when he gets the ball in a good area and gets past the full back, as happened a couple of times today, I simply don't expect a chance at the end of it. You can blame Boye or a lack of options to find, but ultimately his final product is rarely good enough. He's best when he finishes on instinct; when he actually has time to think it goes wrong.

Joao and Puscas need to be kept on their toes and shouldn't be assured of a place, but they are undoubtedly capable of more than Meite.

I just don’t see Meite as a winger and never have. He’s a bit too bulky. Much more of an old fashioned number nine in my eyes. In terms of capability time will tell. Joao has had a chequered career to date and is a bit like Reading FC in that he flatters to deceive. I would like to see Puscas and Meite upfront.

As for Puscas I’m sure he will come good but for now the hype is exceeding the end product.

What frustrates me is we are losing to sides we are more than capable of beating. For Boro read Hull.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2019 23:37

We win we are the best Reading team ever, we lose it`s sack the manager, sack the board and the general suicidal posts on social media. changing the boss is always the answer isn`t it?
Bugger this I`m off to bed, night,

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 23:43

:| Not one poster on here has suggested Gomes should be sacked. He remains very much in credit for keeping us up last season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2019 23:46

Zip :| Not one poster on here has suggested Gomes should be sacked. He remains very much in credit for keeping us up last season.

TBF I`m reacting to the social media kids.