GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2019 09:22

elrey When he first arrived I posted about his managerial statistics.

He's on a win rate of 25.7%. That's worse than his last two teams at 31.3% and 26.3%. His previous one was 7.7% over 13 games, he had a spell at three clubs where he was between 42% and 56% but in tinpot leagues.

I'm not saying he should go just yet, but I don't think he's the man to take the club forward. It seems like one game he can do it, then next he'll get walked all over, and it's happened so many times.

Just before the hype began this season, I made a comment that it felt like Stam's second season. Constantly thinking that the change was just around the corner...... always, always just around that corner, and we're a Roman road.

The Stam second season comparison has occurred to me.

We should have been a lot better that season. For example we should have beaten Fulham first home game. But many individual errors early on cost us a lot of early points from then on we were playing catch up and just clueless. We're in danger of going the same way.

Errors cost us against Wednesday in a game we could have got points. That has been repeated in a number of the games since and we've now started to show no ideas how to turn games around and some quite insipid play. And the opposition will all arrive believing they should win.

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 30 Sep 2019 10:53

But he wears a smart suit, talks with a calm demeanour and is Portuguese to boot. We will be fine?

It does amuse me though how we can go from potential world beaters to wanting the manager's head on a plate in the space of a few games. Constant knee jerk reactions. Gomes does need to lock down his first XI and formation pretty damn soon, but give the guy a bit of time....jeeez.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 30 Sep 2019 11:01

Danny Nedelko But he wears a smart suit, talks with a calm demeanour and is Portuguese to boot. We will be fine?

It does amuse me though how we can go from potential world beaters to wanting the manager's head on a plate in the space of a few games. Constant knee jerk reactions. Gomes does need to lock down his first XI and formation pretty damn soon, but give the guy a bit of time....jeeez.

how's about...fcuk off Danny!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 11:07

Danny Nedelko But he wears a smart suit, talks with a calm demeanour and is Portuguese to boot. We will be fine?

Hi DD.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Sep 2019 11:15

Doesn't strike me as DD. It's too thought out and ...... now what's the word I looking for........ literate?

Agree with the general point made. Through injury, we may have stumbled upon a more solid formation. Gomes needs to run with it as it worked second half. There is a place for 3 at the back buy it needs to be used to target weaknesses in the opposition.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Sep 2019 11:27

Only on Hob Nob!

If the club was stupid enough to take the advice of Grade A idiots and sack Gomes now, frankly it wouldn't deserve any success.

Listening to fans post match texts and tweets on Saturday, I got the distinct some were gutted Yiadom scored as they had been just seconds from full on rant mode.

This is a good squad and Gomes has more than earned the right to have the rest of the year to get it safely into midtable with an outside chance of a tilt at the playoffs.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 11:38

Woodcote Royal Only on Hob Nob!

If the club was stupid enough to take the advice of Grade A idiots and sack Gomes now, frankly it wouldn't deserve any success.

Listening to fans post match texts and tweets on Saturday, I got the distinct some were gutted Yiadom scored as they had been just seconds from full on rant mode.

This is a good squad and Gomes has more than earned the right to have the rest of the year to get it safely into midtable with an outside chance of a tilt at the playoffs.

BBC Berks have a huge agenda against Gomes, been there since he came to the club. Now that Phil Parkinson is available Ady, Tim and Mick will stop at nothing until their mate is in charge of the club.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Sep 2019 11:42

Old Man Andrews

BBC Berks have a huge agenda against Gomes, been there since he came to the club. Now that Phil Parkinson is available Ady, Tim and Mick will stop at nothing until their mate is in charge of the club.

If Parkinson is the alternative then Gomes can stay for as long as he likes, as far as I'm concerned. Let's hope he keeps getting those punditry gigs.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 12:10

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

If Parkinson is the alternative then Gomes can stay for as long as he likes, as far as I'm concerned. Let's hope he keeps getting those punditry gigs.

To be fair, Parkinson has a better track record than Gomes. I’m not sure any manager in the world could keep a team up with Clayton Donaldson and Josh Magennis as their only two strikers...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 12:11

URZZZZ
John Smith
Old Man Andrews BBC Berks have a huge agenda against Gomes, been there since he came to the club. Now that Phil Parkinson is available Ady, Tim and Mick will stop at nothing until their mate is in charge of the club.

To be fair, Parkinson has a better track record than Gomes. I’m not sure any manager in the world could keep a team up with Clayton Donaldson and Josh Magennis as their only two strikers...

Track record of what? Getting promoted from League 1? Sure he has.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 12:13

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
John Smith If Parkinson is the alternative then Gomes can stay for as long as he likes, as far as I'm concerned. Let's hope he keeps getting those punditry gigs.

Took Bradford to a league cup final too. I wouldn’t want him but I do think people are harsh on Parkinson’s ability, he isn’t a bad manager at all

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 12:14

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
John Smith If Parkinson is the alternative then Gomes can stay for as long as he likes, as far as I'm concerned. Let's hope he keeps getting those punditry gigs.

Gomes has no track record anywhere of note. He took a team that was getting no points per game to getting a few points over a number of games, and kept Reading up, with the helping hand of other teams also being very bad.

Given that Reading were so bad before he came, its not hard to imagine that any different individual to Clement would have improved results as players have to up their game to impress their new boss, see Aluko who looked brilliant for 3 games.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 12:14

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Took Bradford to a league cup final too. I wouldn’t want him but I do think people are harsh on Parkinson’s ability, he isn’t a bad manager at all

Agreed. Parky is not the answer, but nor was Gomez, ever.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 12:16

Greatwesternline
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Track record of what? Getting promoted from League 1? Sure he has.

*Gomes

If you could make your ridiculous points without any really basic spelling errors it would be appreciated.

Was Jose Gomes not English enough for you?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2019 12:17

Only got a draw away to top of the table side.

Sack now before it's too late.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Sep 2019 12:17

Greatwesternline
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Track record of what? Getting promoted from League 1? Sure he has.

If the question was, who can keep us up when we look dead in the water? Then Gomes was the answer :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Sep 2019 12:23

Old Man Andrews

What load of internet conspiracy theory bullshit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 12:25

sandman
Old Man Andrews

What load of internet conspiracy theory bullshit.

No that is based on their treatment of Gomes and also the amount of times they pushed the agenda for Parkinson to take over as manager prior to the appointment of Gomes. Ady in particular still brings up Parky a lot to this day.

Get a clue.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 12:37

Old Man Andrews
Greatwesternline
URZZZZ

*Gomes

If you could make your ridiculous points without any really basic spelling errors it would be appreciated.

Was Jose Gomes not English enough for you?

I humbly apologise for auto correct. Can you forgive me?

I don't dislike him because he's not english, i disliked his appointment from the start because i thought Reading could do better. We have IMO punched above our weight in managerial appointments based on their reputation or CV since the 90's, with Pardew perhaps the exception. Then we end up with GomeS who has no reputation, no CV worth noting, and was basically appointed because Kia Joorabchian had the ear of the decision makers who really wanted a portugese manager, presumably because Nuno Santo was going great guns at Wolves, and Marco Silva was decent.

Reading didnt even get our first choice did we?

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 30 Sep 2019 12:38

Old Man Andrews Hi DD.

Not sure who DD is but get the feeling I should be mildly insulted - DD must also talk some sense tho, so hopefully our paths will cross!
In all seriousness though, Woodcote Royal pretty much captures my thoughts on this. Surely got to get behind Gomes for now, there have been glimpses of brilliance.

806 posts