806 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Hendo » 30 Sep 2019 12:39

Greatwesternline
Old Man Andrews
Greatwesternline
Agreed. Parky is not the answer, but nor was Gomez, ever.

*Gomes

If you could make your ridiculous points without any really basic spelling errors it would be appreciated.

Was Jose Gomes not English enough for you?

I humbly apologise for auto correct. Can you forgive me?

I don't dislike him because he's not english, i disliked his appointment from the start because i thought Reading could do better. We have IMO punched above our weight in managerial appointments based on their reputation or CV since the 90's, with Pardew perhaps the exception. Then we end up with GomeS who has no reputation, no CV worth noting, and was basically appointed because Kia Joorabchian had the ear of the decision makers who really wanted a portugese manager, presumably because Nuno Santo was going great guns at Wolves, and Marco Silva was decent.

Reading didnt even get our first choice did we?

Firstly, did McDermott have an impressive CV or reputation?

Secondly, do you have proof that Kia was involved in the Gomes appointment or are you putting 2 and 2 together and trying to get 4?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 12:39

Hendo
Greatwesternline
URZZZZ
Took Bradford to a league cup final too. I wouldn’t want him but I do think people are harsh on Parkinson’s ability, he isn’t a bad manager at all

If the question was, who can keep us up when we look dead in the water? Then Gomes was the answer :|

I do see that, but i think a lot of new managers coming into a team, will get 3 - 4 wins in 10 - 15 games, because all the players need to up their anti to impress the new manager.

his record over 30 games now looks poor. And he has been financially backed more heavily than every other Reading manager in history.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 12:41

Hendo
Greatwesternline
Old Man Andrews *Gomes

If you could make your ridiculous points without any really basic spelling errors it would be appreciated.

I don't dislike him because he's not english, i disliked his appointment from the start because i thought Reading could do better. We have IMO punched above our weight in managerial appointments based on their reputation or CV since the 90's, with Pardew perhaps the exception. Then we end up with GomeS who has no reputation, no CV worth noting, and was basically appointed because Kia Joorabchian had the ear of the decision makers who really wanted a portugese manager, presumably because Nuno Santo was going great guns at Wolves, and Marco Silva was decent.

Firstly, did McDermott have an impressive CV or reputation?

Secondly, do you have proof that Kia was involved in the Gomes appointment or are you putting 2 and 2 together and trying to get 4?

Yep agreed McDermott similar to Pardew. But the difference of course with Pardew and McDermott was they would already know the players, so you can see why they would be better than someone with no reputation or CV from outside the club.

No i dont have proof, but it is an observation that was quite widely made at the time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 30 Sep 2019 12:51

2 world wars, 1 world cup Only got a draw away to top of the table side.

Sack now before it's too late.

xackly!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 13:22

Equally we achieved zero points from Charlton, Boro and Blackburn which was very poor

Whichever way you look at it, we’ve had a poor start to the season. We’re on the same points haul as we were this time last season, and there were strong calls for Clement out this point last year. This is whilst we’ve spent a lot more this season

However I stress that sacking Gomes will get us nowhere IMO. He should keep his job unless there’s little signs of improvement or were hanging too close to the drop

The question is what do the owners think? I’m not sure they’ll take the same viewpoint and a couple of poor results before the international break will leave him hanging by a thread IMO, rightly or wrongly

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Sep 2019 13:26

Greatwesternline We have IMO punched above our weight in managerial appointments based on their reputation or CV since the 90's, with Pardew perhaps the exception.

No we haven't.
Greatwesternline Marco Silva was decent.

No, he never has been. Biggest fraud since AVB.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 13:26

Greatwesternline
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
To be fair, Parkinson has a better track record than Gomes. I’m not sure any manager in the world could keep a team up with Clayton Donaldson and Josh Magennis as their only two strikers...

Track record of what? Getting promoted from League 1? Sure he has.

Gomes has no track record anywhere of note. He took a team that was getting no points per game to getting a few points over a number of games, and kept Reading up, with the helping hand of other teams also being very bad.

Given that Reading were so bad before he came, its not hard to imagine that any different individual to Clement would have improved results as players have to up their game to impress their new boss, see Aluko who looked brilliant for 3 games.

Technically Aluko looked good because we finally played to his strengths after 18 months

And not sure we ever had a manager bounce with Gomes, it took us until March/April to pick up results consistently

Do think it’s extremely harsh to discredit Gomes’ work last season though and point out it was the form of the other teams. Like with Clement, it was them that kept us up, nothing to do with other teams

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Sep 2019 13:43

Greatwesternline
Old Man Andrews
Greatwesternline

*Gomes

Lol so basically 2 of the most successful managers at the club didn't have great CV's - arguably coppells was also not great. I don't really see your point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2019 13:49

URZZZZ

Equally we achieved zero points from Charlton, Boro and Blackburn which was very poor

Whichever way you look at it, we’ve had a poor start to the season. We’re on the same points haul as we were this time last season, and there were strong calls for Clement out this point last year. This is whilst we’ve spent a lot more this season

However I stress that sacking Gomes will get us nowhere IMO. He should keep his job unless there’s little signs of improvement or were hanging too close to the drop

The question is what do the owners think? I’m not sure they’ll take the same viewpoint and a couple of poor results before the international break will leave him hanging by a thread IMO, rightly or wrongly

Yep, things need to pick up for him. I don't want him sacked yet, and I think there is the basis of a decent team there

Cant hide from the fact this season has taken a very disappointing turn since the Udders win though. Its not like we dominated those games either

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 13:58

Hound
URZZZZ

Yep, things need to pick up for him. I don't want him sacked yet, and I think there is the basis of a decent team there

Cant hide from the fact this season has taken a very disappointing turn since the Udders win though. Its not like we dominated those games either

I see what you're saying but how many games did we dominate under Stam when we came 3rd? Not too many from memory. Think we have to give him time, at least until the end of the season. We have a very decent Championship team there that I would expect to come at the very least midtable so if we end up 17th and going nowhere then yeah probably get rid but not right now. Think the main problems Gomes has right now are the form of Liam Moore (who should be dropped imo) and the wingers and strikers seemingly being on different pages. We need to be a lot more direct in the final third and just get that ball into the box.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 14:03

Jagermesiter1871
Greatwesternline
Old Man Andrews *Gomes

Lol so basically 2 of the most successful managers at the club didn't have great CV's - arguably coppells was also not great. I don't really see your point.

My point is when Gomes came in i was disappointing we signed a journeyman manager who hadn't done anything anywhere, when in previous times we had managed to recruit managers who had something about them.

Coppell - had won promotion to top flight twice with Palace, had taken them to the FA Cup final
Rodgers - Was highly rated, was doing well at a team in the same league, had worked with Mourinho
Adkins - Had taken Southampton up two divisions to the Premier league, there was genuine outrage that he'd been sacked. it felt we had picked up a big name.
Steve Clarke - Had been assistant coach at Chelsea for a long time, had good spells with West Brom in the Premier League.
Japp Stam - One of the best defenders ever to play the game. Players like Liam Moore signed to play with him

These were on paper good managers. They didnt all work out, but they were ambitious.

Gomes was not an ambitious signing. It is a gamble. A gamble that maybe kept us up. He's now been given a lot of money. It might work. It might not. i've always thought it won't. I'll wait and see.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 30 Sep 2019 14:05

Jagermesiter1871
Greatwesternline
Old Man Andrews *Gomes

Coppell twice got Palace to the top division

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Sep 2019 14:09

When Gomes goes it simply has to be Gareth Ainsworth. Wycombe are 2nd in League 1 for god's sake!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 14:12

Old Man Andrews
Hound
URZZZZ

I see what you're saying but how many games did we dominate under Stam when we came 3rd? Not too many from memory. Think we have to give him time, at least until the end of the season. We have a very decent Championship team there that I would expect to come at the very least midtable so if we end up 17th and going nowhere then yeah probably get rid but not right now. Think the main problems Gomes has right now are the form of Liam Moore (who should be dropped imo) and the wingers and strikers seemingly being on different pages. We need to be a lot more direct in the final third and just get that ball into the box.

You see, part of me thinks the strikers are an issue (after all, they aren’t scoring). But having thought about it, how many times have “poor strikers” gone on to be successful elsewhere? Grabban is class for Forest and was for Sunderland, couldn’t score for us. Vydra for Derby was scoring for fun, couldn’t score for us. Sharp has scored goals for fun everywhere, couldn’t score for us. Even Murray wasn’t great for us but in his defence, he did notch quite a few. For all our good play in the second half against Swansea, we still created minimal chances

I still maintain the wingers/wingbacks have been the biggest problem in this team for a long time. There are no where enough good balls into the box, hence any chance the strikers get, there’s a lot of pressure for them to finish it because the chances are they won’t get another one all game. The best wing duo we’ve had since Kebe and Jobi were a fit McCleary and Beerens and no coincidence, Yann got 20 goals and we came 3rd. I sometimes feel sorry for the strikers for the lack of service

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2019 14:13

John Smith When Gomes goes it simply has to be Gareth Ainsworth. Wycombe are 2nd in League 1 for god's sake!

Yep. He more than deserves a shot at the Championship and has lived and worked in this area for a number of years now too. He would be a good fit on paper.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 30 Sep 2019 14:27

Old Man Andrews
John Smith When Gomes goes it simply has to be Gareth Ainsworth. Wycombe are 2nd in League 1 for god's sake!

Yep. He more than deserves a shot at the Championship and has lived and worked in this area for a number of years now too. He would be a good fit on paper.

I believe he was considered when the position was previously open. Not that I think they would ever have gone in that direction but he's definitely a credible and likely candidate should the position open up again.

Not that I think it should - Gomes needs way more time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2019 14:33

URZZZZ I still maintain the wingers/wingbacks have been the biggest problem in this team for a long time. There are no where enough good balls into the box, hence any chance the strikers get, there’s a lot of pressure for them to finish it because the chances are they won’t get another one all game. The best wing duo we’ve had since Kebe and Jobi were a fit McCleary and Beerens and no coincidence, Yann got 20 goals and we came 3rd. I sometimes feel sorry for the strikers for the lack of service

yeah posted much the same last week. There isn't enough balls into the box full stop. Both Joao and Puscas look to me like players who thrive off crosses going in, and we then choose a formation where we are relying on the full backs as the only source of crosses coming in.

If we really wanted to play to their strengths, I think we'd be better off with a 4-4-2.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Sep 2019 17:34

Old Man Andrews

Managers that do well in the lower leagues are pretty much a big gamble, the lad that took over at Ipswich from a successful spell at Shrewsbury (his name escapes me) Nathan Jones at Stoke, its very early days for the Crawley brothers at Huddersfield but not pulling up any trees yet.
Our fans are not the most patient bunch. if he didn`t hit the ground running it would be same old same old.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2019 18:34

Greatwesternline
Hendo
Greatwesternline

If the question was, who can keep us up when we look dead in the water? Then Gomes was the answer :|

I do see that, but i think a lot of new managers coming into a team, will get 3 - 4 wins in 10 - 15 games, because all the players need to up their anti to impress the new manager.

his record over 30 games now looks poor. And he has been financially backed more heavily than every other Reading manager in history.

Stam.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Sep 2019 18:54

You see, part of me thinks the strikers are an issue (after all, they aren’t scoring). But having thought about it, how many times have “poor strikers” gone on to be successful elsewhere? Grabban is class for Forest and was for Sunderland, couldn’t score for us. Vydra for Derby was scoring for fun, couldn’t score for us. Sharp has scored goals for fun everywhere, couldn’t score for us. Even Murray wasn’t great for us but in his defence, he did notch quite a few. For all our good play in the second half against Swansea, we still created minimal chances

We have tended, recently, to buy strikers and throw them in without seeming to take into account how they played and the systems they were in previously. Vydra, Sharp, Murray are all very different styles of strikers, so you're going to have to set up differently around them to get the best out of them. The only one that really stands out is Martin but I'm confident that's due to ... ahem .. personal issues.

Grabban is a slightly different case. We brought him in and made him play behind the central striker (Kermorgant) - its really noticeable in the play off final that his job was to try and hold the ball up between the Huddersfield penalty area and the halfway line. This might have been related to Kermorgant's rapidly decreasing mobility, tbh. When he moved to Villa a short while later, they had him playing as a like for like replacement for the injured Kodija.

As a counter example, think back to 2011-12, with Roberts, Hunt, Church and Le Fondre. There was a clear plan about how they would be used, with Hunt and Roberts typically initial terrier and battering ram combo but different substitutions to suit different match situations.

806 posts