GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2019 18:26

Hound [quote="Snowflake Royal” ]Nor do we want a new manager starting in a really tough run.[/quote]

Don’t really want Gomes for a tough run either mind you

At least it’d give a new man a month before November which is shaping up to be vital[/quote]

Disagree. Let the failing guy get those probable defeats. Don't start a new guy on a hiding to nothing when we really need a change to inject some positivity.

New guy loses first two games and we're off to a sour start already.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2019 18:29

Snowflake Royal
Hound [quote="Snowflake Royal” ]Nor do we want a new manager starting in a really tough run.[/quote]

At least it’d give a new man a month before November which is shaping up to be vital[/quote][/quote]
Disagree. Let the failing guy get those probable defeats. Don't start a new guy on a hiding to nothing when we really need a change to inject some positivity.

New guy loses first two games and we're off to a sour start already.[/quote]

But with nothing to lose. If we’re bottom come 1st November as is quite likely, then facing a massive month with a new guy learning the squad

Anyway doesn’t really matter what we think tbh

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Oct 2019 18:31

Snowflake Royal

At least it’d give a new man a month before November which is shaping up to be vital[/quote][/quote]

New guy loses first two games and we're off to a sour start already.[/quote]

But at least he has more time to turn it around before we play the games we should win ... wait to sack him and he comes in and has no time to prepare the team. So I think the sooner the better if we all agree that he is not able to turn this around.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Oct 2019 18:35

Snowflake Royal I thought we were improved on Fulham and much more in the game. And there was fight.
I just don't see how that compounds on what's gone before and triggers a sacking.
I certainly don't think we want to be rudderless for the up coming games. Nor do we want a new manager starting in a really tough run.
So I'm a little surprised to see people switching full on out having not been there before today.

Agree, thought it had mostly been 'give him a few more games'.
And, notice quite a few predicted we'd lose the game today anyway.
So yeah, I agree with you. Can't say I'm all that surprised though.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2019 20:08

Houghton comes in and this is a playoff team imho. Bold statement I know.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Oct 2019 20:11

CountryRoyal Houghton comes in and this is a playoff team imho. Bold statement I know.

I just don’t see it. We don’t have anywhere near enough goals in this squad to challenge. We should be doing better but we give away so many poor goals and can barely score at the other end.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Oct 2019 20:13

Don`t think Hughton would come here if I`m honest, I feel we missed a trick with the Cowley brothers.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Oct 2019 20:14

CountryRoyal Houghton comes in and this is a playoff team imho. Bold statement I know.

The thing is we've said that about previous managers and teams. We said it about Atkins, we've said it about Gomez and now people are predicting Houghton will do it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2019 20:15

until we sack him...just like everybody else has.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2019 20:16

sandman

The thing is we've said that about previous managers and teams. We said it about Atkins, we've said it about Gomez and now people are predicting Houghton will do it.
*ADKINS*

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2019 20:16

AthleticoSpizz

Normally after taking them up though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2019 20:18

Exactly...look where it’s got us

Haven’t we been here before?

History repeating itself....just run with what we’ve currently got...be brave...tough it out folks.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Oct 2019 20:31

AthleticoSpizz Exactly...look where it’s got us

Haven’t we been here before?

History repeating itself....just run with what we’ve currently got...be brave...tough it out folks.

What if he takes us down? Is this now a risk worth taking after several years of dire football and manager turnover? If we're 8 points adrift at Christmas will the logic of sticking still hold?

Problem with our position is giving too much time can result in relegation with serious consequences for the club. Teams like Man Utd and Chelsea can give managers time, because 1 season finishing 9th and missing out on Europe does no real long term manage. It's not luxury we have
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 05 Oct 2019 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2019 20:35

If he “takes us down” let him take us back up again.

This repetitive sacking cycle has to end somewhere

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Oct 2019 20:36

The whole squad has become used to losing (with the exception of one very odd season) since 2013, during 6 managers have been in charge ie Adkins, Clarke, McDermott, Stam (season 2) Clement and Gomes

Relegation would actually help - we might win a few games and change the mindset.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Oct 2019 20:47

I understand the view that we simply need stability. Some clubs have bounced back from L1 stronger, and you'd hope we're too big to stay there long term. I'm trying to think of clubs around our size who have gone on to fester at a lower level. Aside from those with money issues, I can't think of any.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Oct 2019 20:53

AthleticoSpizz

if Hughton is as good as everyone says, and the squad is too, then we can afford to wait a few more games.
WestYorksRoyal What if he takes us down? Is this now a risk worth taking after several years of dire football and manager turnover? If we're 8 points adrift at Christmas will the logic of sticking still hold?

You'd be surprised. There are some who actually want us to go down anyway, and/or think it would be a good thing.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2019 20:54

Jeez

krapmle

by krapmle » 05 Oct 2019 21:40

the players are better than the play-off's, the manager isn't, thats the reality and thats why we are where we are.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Oct 2019 21:42

sandman

In Brian McTermott we trust.

806 posts