GOMES OUT!

806 posts
krapmle

Re: GOMES OUT!

by krapmle » 06 Oct 2019 18:28

what assets? didn't you read the last financial report. We are up to our necks in it.
go down and Bury comes to mind.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Oct 2019 18:50

Laughable to even suggest the owners aren`t aware of the finances Kes, you don`t help yourself sometimes.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Oct 2019 19:40

AthleticoSpizz to that end, who could deny Sheff United their time in the third tier?

For some teams the rises and falls are cyclic...we”re working towards that status...it’s not the end of the world

Tell that to a Bradford or Coventry fan.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2019 19:44

Or any other poorly ran club...not sure that we are in that category quite yet....breathe, chill, relax

add Wolves to that Sheff U list that have risen from the ashes

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 21:17

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
Bigtimmeh interesting..I just presumed that the big money signings that came in (and some of those that weren't big money e.g Morrison ejaria) would be a big wage outlay. Wouldn't the estimated 15m on João and puscas alone cause us issues for the next three years if we didn't perform? Or is that all offset by the stadium lease?
Those signings had to have been structured weirdly to get through. Fees are spread across the length of a contract even if they're upfront anyway.

Puscas won't be on huge money for all his fee might be. In fact very few of them will be on big money. Adam and Morro at the end of their careers. Puscas, Ejaria and Boye young and not established. Joao, bit part Champ player. Miazga on loan only.

I don't know, I think you'd be a pretty bad agent if your player moved for £8m (or even £3m) and you didn't get them on a hefty wage.

What constitutes "big money" might be hard to pin down, and I wouldn't like to guess what they're on, but I'd guess they all make more in a week than I make in a year. When we were in the PL the first time, our best players were getting about 1/7th of the highest paid player in the world (Shevchenko). I wouldn't be surprised if Puscas is earning something like 1/7th of Alexis Sanchez.

If we're paying Puscas anything more than about 20k we're crazy. And it should be plenty less.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2019 21:37

I think something somewhere came out that it was 20k pw

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 21:55

Hound I think something somewhere came out that it was 20k pw

We don't learn do we.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Oct 2019 22:07

Snowflake Royal If we're paying Puscas anything more than about 20k we're crazy. And it should be plenty less.

That's £1m a year. Given that we paid £8m to sign him on a five-year contract, I reckon he's in a good position to demand £30k.

It's a seller's market and he'd just signed a new contract with Inter Milan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 22:12

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal If we're paying Puscas anything more than about 20k we're crazy. And it should be plenty less.

That's £1m a year. Given that we paid £8m to sign him on a five-year contract, I reckon he's in a good position to demand £30k.

We shouldn't have signed him then. It's idiot decisions like that that put us in financial jeopardy.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 15:27

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

We shouldn't have signed him then. It's idiot decisions like that that put us in financial jeopardy.

Agree, 30k seems a lot for a young prospect who is unproven over here.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 15:37

I'm going to disagree.

On the basis of the performance against Cardiff and his international performances the transfer fee and anything less than 50k a week is an absolute steal and most of us at the time were thinking we got ourselves a bargain.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing and his less than convincing performances since have us thinking even 50p a week is too much.

My guess is he will step up to the plate. His errors now are pretty clearly down to rock bottom confidence, not lack of effort or lack of ability.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that at his age, I think we got ourselves a bargain.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 15:49

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm going to disagree.

On the basis of the performance against Cardiff and his international performances the transfer fee and anything less than 50k a week is an absolute steal and most of us at the time were thinking we got ourselves a bargain.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing and his less than convincing performances since have us thinking even 50p a week is too much.

My guess is he will step up to the plate. His errors now are pretty clearly down to rock bottom confidence, not lack of effort or lack of ability.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that at his age, I think we got ourselves a bargain.

Isn't Moore's new contract about 30k a week? Difference being, he had proven himself in Champ.
Anyway, hope you're right of course, and I certainly haven't given up on Puscas. May just need a goal, and will be interesting to see what happens after that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Oct 2019 15:53

My argument there would be that Puscas is virtually the only one missing chances, he`s in the right areas but just not finishing, I`m confident it will come sooner than later.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Oct 2019 15:53

windermereROYAL My argument there would be that Puscas is virtually the only one missing chances, he`s in the right areas but just not finishing, I`m confident it will come sooner than later.

Would you give Sam Baldock minutes in the next match?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Oct 2019 16:02

John Smith
windermereROYAL My argument there would be that Puscas is virtually the only one missing chances, he`s in the right areas but just not finishing, I`m confident it will come sooner than later.

If he could get in the same positions I don`t see why not. but from what I`ve seen so far he hasn`t missed that many chances.
Puscas is top of the stats for getting shots away in the championship.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 16:30

John Smith

No no no. The last thing we need is more chopping and changing. Leaving him out (was it after Charlton?) was a disastrous thing to do and will have really had a negative impact on the young chap.

In Puscas we have a fiery aggressive Forster-esque determined striker with only one thing on his mind and that is to score. We saw that against Cardiff, we've seen his acceleration and movement since in other games, and his determination to take the ball off players, run at them, past them, single-handedly creating chances out of literally nothing. He might have flapped in front of goal but that's just confidence. Baldock has never been that sort of guy. If you're going to gamble on anyone, you're going to gamble on Puscas. Give him time, encouragement, reassurances of a start, a striker he can consistently build a relationship with and watch him flourish.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 17:15

Whether it's good value for his ability or potential is moot. It's whether we should be signing players, particularly young unproven ones on that money at all.

We are a Championship club with income of around £20m a year. We have no business paying anyone over £20k a week. That should be the top end for our handful of proven stars.

This combined with long contracts is half the reason we're a financial basket case.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 17:17

Denver Royal

Isn't Moore's new contract about 30k a week? Difference being, he had proven himself in Champ.
Anyway, hope you're right of course, and I certainly haven't given up on Puscas. May just need a goal, and will be interesting to see what happens after that.

That's about £15k a week more than Liam is worth and another example of the shambles our financials are in if it's true, which is plenty believable.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 17:37

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

That's about £15k a week more than Liam is worth and another example of the shambles our financials are in if it's true, which is plenty believable.

Yep, as you may recall I'd have looked at moving Moore over the Summer, and also last Summer before we gave him the new deal. Even at his peak, I didn't really see him as a real difference maker myself, and so think I'd have prolly utilized the money elsewhere. I'm not too sure about his captaincy either.
It's all about opinions though, and some rate Moore more highly than I do, which of course is fine and I respect that. It's not often when 2 people rate a player exactly the same., top to bottom. There's often some variance of thought somewhere.
But you're right Ian, here we sit with a player on a big wedge performing marginally. As some have suggested, if he weren't Moore, he'd likely have been dropped by now. By his own admission, he can certainly play better, and obv we're all hoping he will.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 07 Oct 2019 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2019 17:38

Snowflake Royal

Whether it's good value for his ability or potential is moot. It's whether we should be signing players, particularly young unproven ones on that money at all.

We are a Championship club with income of around £20m a year. We have no business paying anyone over £20k a week. That should be the top end for our handful of proven stars.

This combined with long contracts is half the reason we're a financial basket case.

I guess they like taking a risk. If he is the sort of player that will fire us into the PL or who goes for £30million one day I'd be more than fine with it. It's all about risk as with anything in business.

806 posts