GOMES OUT!

806 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: GOMES OUT!

by muirinho » 08 Oct 2019 19:15

Denver Royal
muirinho Will be even funnier if the next guy in says "right, all players to get their chance to impress, and brings McCleary, Baldock and Gunter back into 1st team training"
Vat of popcorn at the ready.

Yep, that would be a lot of players vying for 11 places.
Hope the new bloke likes our new signings, some of whom have been marginalized in recent weeks.

Some realism is needed also, for those in charge of moving players around. If, as reported, there were clubs in for Gunter (and maybe others) on loan, but the club wanted to sell, that was dumb. It would have been better to get unwanted players out of the club, regardless of how much of their salaries were being paid, than having them hanging around.

So if there's a bunch of players the new manager decides aren't needed, then take the money hit and move them on. Rather than hanging on hoping for better offers.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 08 Oct 2019 19:18

tidus_mi2 I was totally behind Gomes being sacked but if we get Hughes in, what a oxf*rd trainwreck. Surely they must see how poorly received such an appointment would be.

I can't agree more ... I'd just give up and look for another team. One of my best friends is a Saints supporter and when I mentioned this rumour to him, he looked at me with genuine sympathy ... given that he generally hates Reading, that is telling you something.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2019 19:19

Royalwaster
tidus_mi2 I was totally behind Gomes being sacked but if we get Hughes in, what a oxf*rd trainwreck. Surely they must see how poorly received such an appointment would be.

I can't agree more ... I'd just give up and look for another team. One of my best friends is a Saints supporter and when I mentioned this rumour to him, he looked at me with genuine sympathy ... given that he generally hates Reading, that is telling you something.

Deary me

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 08 Oct 2019 19:19

genome I wonder if I’m attached to Gomes because he’s likeable and ridiculously charming.

If, say, a Brexity charisma vacuum of a manager like Tony Pulis or Neil Warnock was in charge and had the same record as Gomes, would the fans be so against him leaving?

If Neil Warnock was in charge we would probably be in the PL next season or the one after, that's what he does for a living.

krapmle

by krapmle » 08 Oct 2019 19:20

One of my best friends is a Saints supporter and when I mentioned this rumour to him, he looked at me with genuine sympathy

so he is not a fan, so what. Hughes will do alright. And we need alright at the moment

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 19:21

genome
Royalwaster

Deary me

Well Fulham were my local team when he was there and I watched his side’s a number of times. And they were decent

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 08 Oct 2019 19:21

krapmle BerkshireLive's Jonathan Low said: "Jose Gomes has been sacked by Reading, though still unsure on exactly when it will be announced. Mark Hughes is a strong contender to replace him."

So it won't be Hughes then.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Oct 2019 19:23

After a torrid few seasons. I'd happily settle for a manager that's pragmatic. Substance over style. Providing there's an upward direction of travel. Simply bringing in a new bunch of new players every summer. Isn't the way to build a settled team with an identity.

Watched the Newcastle vs Manure highlights today. The after match analysis resonated with me. As we've been playing in a similar vein. Deep defence , lack of movement up front and a midfield that doesn't work as a unit.

krapmle

by krapmle » 08 Oct 2019 19:24

well the bowen connection may play a role, we will have to wait and see

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Oct 2019 19:25

oxf*rd great. Fire another manager, 11 games into the season, having made whole sale signings after 3 games, so effectively after 8 games. Modern football is shit. We are shit. This is another shit decision. oxf*rd giving any time for a manager to actually bed in and get the players playing the way he want's. Continually firing managers without giving any the time to do anything is oxf*rd suicidal and is a trap. Hello league 1.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Oct 2019 19:26

Lower West

After a torrid few seasons. I'd happily settle for a manager that's pragmatic. Substance over style. Providing there's an upward direction of travel. Simply bringing in a new bunch of new players every summer. Isn't the way to build a settled team with an identity.

Watched the Newcastle vs Manure highlights today. The after match analysis resonated with me. As we've been playing in a similar vein. Deep defence , lack of movement up front and a midfield that doesn't work as a unit.

Whats the point - we'll just fire him after 10 games if we haven't won them all. We'll be 3 managers down the line come the end of the season having sealed relegation.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2019 19:27

Hound
genome
Royalwaster

Deary me

Well Fulham were my local team when he was there and I watched his side’s a number of times. And they were decent

I was Deary me'ing the bolded part

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 19:28

genome
Hound
genome
Deary me

I was Deary me'ing the bolded part

Yes i got that - was commenting on the rest of his post

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 08 Oct 2019 19:29

Jagermesiter1871 oxf*rd great. Fire another manager, 11 games into the season, having made whole sale signings after 3 games, so effectively after 8 games. Modern football is shit. We are shit. This is another shit decision. oxf*rd giving any time for a manager to actually bed in and get the players playing the way he want's. Continually firing managers without giving any the time to do anything is oxf*rd suicidal and is a trap. Hello league 1.

All the reports are he’s lost the dressing room sentiment aside once you lose the dressing room there is only one outcome.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 19:32

No one at all wants to keep sacking managers. It’s expensive and frustrating to have to rebuild

But you have to make a decision on whether it’s more dangerous to the club to keep someone with a 25% win percentage, seems to have lost his players and has no real pedigree or replace with someone you think will do a better job in the long term

He’s had plenty long enough

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Oct 2019 19:33

Talked the talk. Couldn't walk the walk IMO

Nice guy by the sounds of it (well if you don't ask Kelly, McCleary, Gunter, McNulty, Baldock, Meyler, Mannone, probably some more). But out of his depth. Should go to the foreign league where they enjoy the sort of football where you don't cross the halfway line

Seems like Dellor wasn't so clueless after all? But in all seriousness, he deserves credit for our four good performances out of 36 and ultimately keeping us up

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Oct 2019 19:39

WestYorksRoyal
Zip
Hound Been told that Jose Gomes and his staff's authority in the dressing room had severely deteriorated in the last few weeks. Also told several first-team players had nicknamed him a 'Car Salesman' because he 'talked a good game' - Make of that what you will.

Bloody hell. These same players have not exactly been pulling up trees themselves. Perhaps they need a Warnock type to give them a kick up the arse.

I think highly of Moore, but there's a group of players who have been big parts in a shit team for 3 years now. Swift too.

I'm not saying I want to get rid, but ultimately when a team underperforms the manager gets the sack and players get away with it. Nicknames and undermining the manager is not how to act when you're up against things; it is shameful. As captain and leader, Moore has to bear responsibility along with other senior players like Yiadom and Morrison, who I presume was partly signed to set an example to a young squad.

Something is not right at this club. Can you imagine this in the SJM era? I know we had a load of under performers around 2000 which culminated in pants day and Martin Allen brought in to whip the tears into shape. St the moment it seems to be year on year we underachieve and make it easy for teams to beat us.

We've had a few nice managers recently; I'm totally up for an old school one who will give them his mind, or at least a member on the coaching staff. Tbf it wasn't sustainable with Martin Allen, but I feel like a lot of players need a bloody great kick.

This is very much how I feel. We sack managers every season these days because we keep struggling. It’s about time the players took responsibility. An old school manager might come as a nasty shock for this lot.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 08 Oct 2019 19:39

BBC sport are really on the ball with this one :roll:

NOT :lol:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Oct 2019 19:42

Rusty royal BBC sport are really on the ball with this one :roll:

NOT :lol:

The club haven`t confirmed it yet.