GOMES OUT!

806 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: GOMES OUT!

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2019 12:07

Parky did a very good job at Bolton under difficult circumstances. Nobody would have kept them up last year with everything going on; the fact he took them up and kept them up a year in the first place was a great effort. They're a similar sized club to us with a similar recent history. He won't get us playing sexy football, but how have our projects under Rodgers and Stam worked out? He understands our club and would be a great appointment.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 12:09

WestYorksRoyal Parky did a very good job at Bolton under difficult circumstances. Nobody would have kept them up last year with everything going on; the fact he took them up and kept them up a year in the first place was a great effort. They're a similar sized club to us with a similar recent history. He won't get us playing sexy football, but how have our projects under Rodgers and Stam worked out? He understands our club and would be a great appointment.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 12:12

Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal
leon Can we stop sacking managers?

Seriously we need to give the manager a chance, surely?

It needs to be the right manager though. Stable and shit isn't any use and gets us relegated. I can handle a run of bad results if I can see decent performances, fight and tenacity, because then you can reliably say results will improve. I don't see any of that here. What evidence have people seen to suggest we are going to improve?

When Gomes first came in, it was our fight and tenacity that immediately improved.

Did we lack fight under Clement? I'm not sure that was ever the issue. Quality yes, fight - not really

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 12:13

Hound
Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal It needs to be the right manager though. Stable and shit isn't any use and gets us relegated. I can handle a run of bad results if I can see decent performances, fight and tenacity, because then you can reliably say results will improve. I don't see any of that here. What evidence have people seen to suggest we are going to improve?

When Gomes first came in, it was our fight and tenacity that immediately improved.

Did we lack fight under Clement? I'm not sure that was ever the issue. Quality yes, fight - not really

Near the end we did I'd say. Thought it looked pretty obvious he had lost the players and a few of them downed tools. Certainly in his first few games there was a change in attitude but that is normally the case when a new manager comes in.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2019 12:16

Hound
Sanguine
WestYorksRoyal It needs to be the right manager though. Stable and shit isn't any use and gets us relegated. I can handle a run of bad results if I can see decent performances, fight and tenacity, because then you can reliably say results will improve. I don't see any of that here. What evidence have people seen to suggest we are going to improve?

Clement's games had plenty of fight aside from the odd shocker, which Gomes had too (Sheff Utd anyone??)

The difference was the 5 loan signings, and our squad has largely replaced them. We were never going to get a keeper as good as Martinez, and we do miss Baker in my view. But we don't have the same lack of quality excuse.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 12:19

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Sanguine

Near the end we did I'd say. Thought it looked pretty obvious he had lost the players and a few of them downed tools. Certainly in his first few games there was a change in attitude but that is normally the case when a new manager comes in.

I cba to get completely back through but weren't some of his last games Leeds 1-0 away (missed last min pen) and Stoke 2-2 (last minute equaliser)

not sure that shows lack of fight particularly

Edit - did just check - last 5 were Bristol 3-2, Ipswich 2-2 (coming back twice from a goal down), Wigan 0-0 away and the two above

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Oct 2019 15:39

Steve Coppell is available as a mentor to young managers, he say's he's still involved in the game that way on the recent BBC Berks podcast interview.

Did he say he'd like to be involved in the game again as manager if the right opportunity came up but that he doesn't expect the right opportunity to come along.... however, Reading is becoming more like the old Reading so maybe if we go knocking he'll answer.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Oct 2019 15:44

If Gomes is on his way out then please not Phil Parkinson :sigh: please no....I want someone young who has overachieved and ready to move on, airs confidence, has knowledge of the English league who is now looking for a step up, and is good with the younger players. Gareth Ainsworth...who should have had the job originally....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 15:49

In for someone who is 46 being 'young'

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Oct 2019 15:52

Hound In for someone who is 46 being 'young'

Well he looks young....its the hair......and the INXS influence....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2019 18:58

Gomes deserves more time but he has to change our awful style of play.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Oct 2019 19:08

From the start of November we have what would seem to be a less challenging run of games with a few exceptions right though to the new year, if we are still sitting in or near the relegation zone after that then maybe a decision will have to be made, so lets give him till the turn of the year.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2019 19:26

Zip Gomes deserves more time but he has to change our awful style of play.

Yep, but he has to show he's identified the problems and is trying to solve them.

If he continues to:
Use a high line from full/wing backs,
Two attacking midfielders,
Switch forwards every game, and
Not make us any more resilient or hard to beat

He isn't presenting a solution, he's part of the problem and so in that case the sooner he goes the better.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 03 Oct 2019 13:57

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2019 15:42

Good read.

Agree with a lot of it, especially the Richards Obita swap. Totally bizarre.

Not sure I agree with the likes of Olise, Barrett or having Rino AND Pele on etc but what we think of individual players wasn't necessarily your or my point, it's about consistency. Rotation seemingly just for the sake of it I find odd, and the players will find confusing and disheartening.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Oct 2019 16:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Good read.

Not sure I agree with the likes of Olise, Barrett or having Rino AND Pele on etc but what we think of individual players wasn't necessarily your or my point, it's about consistency. Rotation seemingly just for the sake of it I find odd, and the players will find confusing and disheartening.

He is spot on I think and its well written and worrying for us fans.
I think the thing that just slapped me in the face was the fact we now have a big squad again and the money we must be spending on wages. The youngsters just are not getting a go. He is right, we could well be back to square one unless this week we get something at Bristol City and we can push on, but with the rotation and swapping of players all the time I starting to think nothing will change with JG.......We could well be left with a large squad, large wage bill and a team that clearly cant cant compete in the championship under this manager.
Up until Tuesday I was still backing him....just....But Tuesday night saw me do a complete 180 and think now that I cant see us in other situation than a relegation battle now under this management.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Oct 2019 16:06

just pick your best team/system, stick with it until form or injuries change that team, dont change the system unless form dictates that change is needed, or absolutey tactically necessary
the tinkering is definitely killing us.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 16:20

Ascotexgunner

Good read.

It's worrying for us fans.
The youngsters just are not getting a go.

But is just not true?
Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise. He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready. Boye, Puscas and Miazga are 23?
Who else should be getting a go? Loader, who people moan about (on and off the pitch), and who doesn't have a position, etc.
Who else?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2019 16:25

Loader has been ill anyway. And then the Wolves saga before that. He’ll probably be back in the squad shortly

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2019 16:26

Denver Royal
Ascotexgunner
Good read.

It's worrying for us fans.
The youngsters just are not getting a go.

Sounds dramatic, but is just not true?
Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise. He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready.
Who else should be getting a go? Loader, who people moan about (on and off the pitch), and who doesn't have a position, etc. Who else?

Actually yes he is playing a lot of youngsters tbf.

All of this *could* just be a case of he came here, settled the ship, got rid of deadwood, got them playing. Then the owners said we want to splash out so he said ok, brought in a lot of good players and all of a sudden he's kind of having to play preseason. Most clubs will have done their deals earlier but as far as Jose was concerned there was no money, then all of a sudden he gets a massive influx of players all in one go and quickly has to steady the ship again.

This is ultimately why I still support the fella and think he can turn it round like he did when he joined. I just reckon he needs to know time isnt' on his side and he needs to jsut make some decisions and steady things asap.

806 posts