GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 20:38

Rax I think the consensus of opinion re Gomes will be along the lines of "lovely bloke, out of his depth"

I'm genuinely sorry for him, but really hope Bowen doesn't get his old mate Hughes in, as he is an integral part of the manager merry go round and will be only in it for himself. Much better to get a young hungry manager in the Ainsworth mould.

Just IMHO of course.

Hard to disagree with anything here.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Oct 2019 20:52

I wonder how much of a say he had in the transfer deals.

If a club signs players with poor attitudes, something we seem to have a real track record for in the last few years, it would be hard for anyone to succeed.

Rather than sacking the manager every 9 months or so, I'd rather we had a proper look at our recruitment policy, as it's terrible and is bankrupting he club.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Oct 2019 20:56

8)

BR0B0T pulling the strings in cyberspace.

DO YOU SEE?!?!

Rax

by Rax » 08 Oct 2019 20:57

tmesis I wonder how much of a say he had in the transfer deals.

If a club signs players with poor attitudes, something we seem to have a real track record for in the last few years, it would be hard for anyone to succeed.

Rather than sacking the manager every 9 months or so, I'd rather we had a proper look at our recruitment policy, as it's terrible and is bankrupting he club.

One would have hoped with the departure of Ron Gormless, that would have improved!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Oct 2019 21:46

tmesis I wonder how much of a say he had in the transfer deals.

Yep recruitment has been atrocious for too long. The honourable exception being in January when no money was spent.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 08 Oct 2019 22:02

He had to go. The defensive frailties were becoming a joke, total lack of organisation and tactical ineptitude meant we were always chasing matches, pointless playing out from the back invited pressure, too much reliance on moments of individual inspiration to paper over the cracks. A change was necessary. He was a nice guy but a useless coach and tactician. Let's hope we can make the next appointment somebody with championship nous who isn't averse to booting goal kicks down the other end of the pitch.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 08 Oct 2019 22:13

Linden Jones' Tash You live and die by your results and ultimately ours have been poor.

More than that, the tactical naivety of the last few games did it for me.

A good talker and a handsome charmer, but as in business, those types tend to come unstuck if there's no substance...

We have the squad, now we need a high intensity style and a good motivator to build some momentum and results

And there you have it in four lines. Spot on.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 08 Oct 2019 22:43

I've been told my good name is being dragged through the mud so I didn't want to do this and come back on but

I'M
NOT
KRAMPLE
FFS

He is Lacoste/Taipai Royal/Whoever. I am DD.

Now let me have my hiatus in peace and come back next year after I move house and my child is born and stop dragging my good name through the mud here please Ian and Genome and grow up.

Ian seemed to forget that anybody can browse this site without being logged in which I have done previously.

Good day Sirs and see you in 2020.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Oct 2019 22:48

The Enfield Royal71 I've been told my good name is being dragged through the mud so I didn't want to do this and come back on but

I'M
NOT
KRAMPLE
FFS

Now let me have my hiatus in peace and come back next year after I move house and my child is born and stop dragging my good name through the mud here please Ian and Genome and grow up.

Ian seemed to forget that anybody can browse this site without being logged in which I have done previously.

Ffs DD stop trying to be the centre of attention.

Either fcuking stay or fcuk the fcuk off.

Jose’s been sacked.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Oct 2019 23:12

JimmytheJim He had to go. The defensive frailties were becoming a joke, total lack of organisation and tactical ineptitude meant we were always chasing matches, pointless playing out from the back invited pressure, too much reliance on moments of individual inspiration to paper over the cracks. A change was necessary. He was a nice guy but a useless coach and tactician. Let's hope we can make the next appointment somebody with championship nous who isn't averse to booting goal kicks down the other end of the pitch.

As they were under Stam and Clement and Marshall and Adkins. Maybe its not the manager. But I dunno, lets just keep firing them until we can confirm.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2019 23:20

The Enfield Royal71 I've been told my good name is being dragged through the mud so I didn't want to do this and come back on but

I'M
NOT
KRAMPLE
FFS

It's not really a hiatus if you're logging in and having a read is it.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 08 Oct 2019 23:45

@samrourke_
· 6h
Been told that Jose Gomes and his staff's authority in the dressing room had severely deteriorated in the last few weeks. Also told several first-team players had nicknamed him a 'Car Salesman' because he 'talked a good game' - Make of that what you will..

#ReadingFC

If true - disgraceful. Could think of a few nick names for this group of conmen who have been abject failures under a succession of managers.
#SackThePlayers

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Oct 2019 00:13

I'M
NOT
KRAMPLE
FFS

You tell 'em Krample.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Oct 2019 00:20

sandman

I'M
NOT
KRAMPLE
FFS

You tell 'em Krample.

Don't call him krample - it's krapmle (almost as bad as Gomez or McLeary). Hope the new manager has an easy to spell name - Hughs or Houghton...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Oct 2019 00:24

Jagermesiter1871 @samrourke_
· 6h
Been told that Jose Gomes and his staff's authority in the dressing room had severely deteriorated in the last few weeks. Also told several first-team players had nicknamed him a 'Car Salesman' because he 'talked a good game' - Make of that what you will..

#ReadingFC

If true - disgraceful. Could think of a few nick names for this group of conmen who have been abject failures under a succession of managers.
#SackThePlayers

Really? Let's look at our squad against Bristol

Rafael - new signing

Yiadom - a "supposed" POTS
Miazga - helped keep us up
Moore - on the whole has been very good
Morrison - new signing
Richards - hasn't done bad

Pele - new signing
Rino - our POTS
Ejaria - new signing

Puscas - new signing
Meite - scored vital goals

Walker - hasn't played
McIntyre - brought through by Gomes
Loader - brought through by Gomes
Barrett - brought through by Gomes
Olise - brought through by Gomes
Joao - new signing
Boye - new signing

Can you tell me who the "abject failures under a succession of managers" are please? The only long term players here really are Gunter, Moore, Swift and McCleary I think. Gomes cleared out the ones with the attitude problems and the deadwood including Ilori, Aluko, Barrow etc

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Oct 2019 00:36

It genuinely hit me earlier seeing Gomes' first interview, seeing some of his reactions to our goals, seeing how happy he was, seeing all the pictures from Portuguese day

Been one of the most pleasant managers to have around in a long time. And regardless of what people say, he kept us up. He brought the energy back to the team, the support, he brought everyone together

It's why it's so sad he was out of his depth this season and regrettably, it's the right decision. Right man, wrong plan. Adios and thank you Gomes

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 09 Oct 2019 01:25

Wrong decision. Gutted.

elrey

by elrey » 09 Oct 2019 04:32

PistolPete Wrong decision. Gutted.

I'd have said it was the wrong decision if he'd actually done something. His win rate is appalling at 23.7% of games won. He's in the relegation zone after bringing in players. Okay, he had to get rid of some, but the team shouldn't be where it is.

His record as a manager isn't good, why he was brought in I have no idea.

He's spent most of his managerial career in Saudi Arabia, Hungary, the UAE and Portugal. His successes are a 50% win rate in 6 games at Al-Ahli, a team that finished second in the league that season with 17 wins from 26 games, higher than the 50%. In fact it was 14 wins from 20 games, which is close to 75%. Clearly someone else got them playing better.

Also a 55.8% win ratio at Videoton in 52 games, he got the team to 4th in his full season there. They'd finished 2nd in three of the four seasons before and first in the other one.

Clearly he's not very good.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 09 Oct 2019 08:05

This season we have seen the fall of one of the most popular managers at this club. He was charismatic yes. but can anyone seriously tell me he was going to be the man to take us forward? I feel that the reason for him being so popular was due to the rise of the new 1871 movement at reading. Either way I can't see Hughes being an improvement on Gomez. It seems as though we are going to be in for a proper slug fest at the bottom of the table now. I can also only see the crowds dwindling further if Hughes is announced. What a way to kill the vibe and the season from all involved. Take me back to the Cardiff win please.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Oct 2019 08:32

Hitchytwo This season we have seen the fall of one of the most popular managers at this club. He was charismatic yes. but can anyone seriously tell me he was going to be the man to take us forward? I feel that the reason for him being so popular was due to the rise of the new 1871 movement at reading. Either way I can't see Hughes being an improvement on Gomez. It seems as though we are going to be in for a proper slug fest at the bottom of the table now. I can also only see the crowds dwindling further if Hughes is announced. What a way to kill the vibe and the season from all involved. Take me back to the Cardiff win please.

At least we'll play Oxford in League 1 ...

806 posts