BFT whatever the hell that was

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFT whatever the hell that was

by SCIAG » 22 Sep 2019 13:30

Victor Meldrew Was starting to get optimistic after 4 years or so of pessimism and after 10 minutes yesterday I knew the optimism was unfounded and the Charlton game wasn't just a blip.
A few comments:-
Why was so much of the play down the right side in the first half where we were getting nowhere?
Why was our fitness level so poor that players (ours) were treading water in the last 15 minutes?
What has happened to Moore?
How long will Miazga be out for?
We can now see why Joao was forever in and out of the Wednesday team.

I suppose we thought that the way we played in the Cardiff game would be our style-quick interchange of passing as we progress upfield and then a decent final through ball to eager strikers.
Whatever happened to all of that against middle of the road Championship sides who have no star names but are big on organisation and with players fully understanding their roles?

Wouldn't say Blackburn have no star names - at the least, they have Stewart Downing, Bradley Dack, and now Lewis Holtby.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Sep 2019 13:44

SCIAG
Victor Meldrew Was starting to get optimistic after 4 years or so of pessimism and after 10 minutes yesterday I knew the optimism was unfounded and the Charlton game wasn't just a blip.
Why was so much of the play down the right side in the first half where we were getting nowhere?
Why was our fitness level so poor that players (ours) were treading water in the last 15 minutes?

I suppose we thought that the way we played in the Cardiff game would be our style-quick interchange of passing as we progress upfield and then a decent final through ball to eager strikers.
Whatever happened to all of that against middle of the road Championship sides who have no star names but are big on organisation and with players fully understanding their roles?

Wouldn't say Blackburn have no star names - at the least, they have Stewart Downing, Bradley Dack, and now Lewis Holtby.

Dack is a very good footballer. The sort of player that people think Swift is.
Last edited by sandman on 22 Sep 2019 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2019 13:45

Perfect conditions, perfect line up. WTAF.

Talking points for me:

1) We really do have a very good team which is what makes this so gutting. What keeps happening with a full strength squad which should be battling for playoffs is UNACCEPTABLE and at some point Gomes has to be questioned.

2) Swift was ****ing atrocious despite his great goal. I honestly cannot remember a midfielder getting everything so wrong, shit passes to no one, losing the ball etc etc etc in all my time watching Reading.

3) I see only person mention it but we’ve been SHITE since losing Miazga. Are we missing him?

4) We have been found out. Need another starting plan.

5) Good to see Obita but apart from his alleged great crossing I saw nothing that puts him ahead of Richards. Richards has earned his place in the team working as a very effective wing back. I feel we missed his energy think Obita really needs to earn his slot not just automatically have it. Crossing alone doesn’t guarantee you a place.

6) passing it out from the back was RIDICULOUS in this game where they pressed so hard. It got us into loads of trouble time and time again but we KEPT doing it.

Summary: Gomes, we all like you. But you’ve got to do something here. You have one of her best squads in the division and bloody well need to sort it out or questions will be asked at some point.
Last edited by Millsy on 22 Sep 2019 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Sep 2019 13:49

I think the Blackburn colours were atrocious, grey with green socks, no excuses but might explain some of our passes straight to their players.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2019 13:54

windermereROYAL I think the Blackburn colours were atrocious, grey with green socks, no excuses but might explain some of our passes straight to their players.

Actually I did think that myself. Surprised it was allowed , such poor contrast. But you’d expect them to then pass balls to us to.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Sep 2019 14:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup Perfect conditions, perfect line up. WTAF.

Talking points for me:

1) We really do have a very good team which is what makes this so gutting. What keeps happening with a full strength squad which should be battling for playoffs is UNACCEPTABLE and at some point Gomes has to be questioned.

2) Swift was ****ing atrocious despite his great goal. I honestly cannot remember a midfielder getting everything so wrong, shit passes to no one, losing the ball etc etc etc in all my time watching Reading.

3) I see only person mention it but we’ve been SHITE since losing Miazga. Are we missing him?

5) Good to see Obita but apart from his alleged great crossing I saw nothing that puts him ahead of Richards. Richards has earned his place in the team working as a very effective wing back. I feel we missed his energy think Obita really needs to earn his slot not just automatically have it. Crossing alone doesn’t guarantee you a place.

6) passing it out from the back was RIDICULOUS in this game where they pressed so hard. It got us into loads of trouble time and time again but we KEPT doing it.

Summary: Gomes, we all like you. But you’ve got to do something here. You have one of her best squads in the division and bloody well need to sort it out or questions will be asked at some point.

Are we overstating the ability of our squad? Is it really that good? I am certainly guilty of under estimating other squads in this division. Perhaps we are in reality one of the weaker squads.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2019 14:12

Zip

Talking points for me:

Are we overstating the ability of our squad? Is it really that good? I am certainly guilty of under estimating other squads in this division. Perhaps we are in reality one of the weaker squads.

Yes. Loads of moderate individuals with potential who don't deliver regularly and no coherent plan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2019 15:44

sandman
SCIAG

Dack is a very good footballer. The sort of player that people think Swift is.

Swift’s stats are exceptional this season

Even on a poor performance yesterday he still created chances and scored

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2019 17:33

Zip

Talking points for me:

Not sure, in truth.

My opinion is we have a squad worthy of the playoffs when they’re firing on all cylinders. We’ve see what they can do. They have played some amazing football and each has shown what they are capable of. One thing is for sure though: this squad is definitely not worthy of 20th.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 22 Sep 2019 18:05

Yes we should be doing better with that squad.
Top six ? No never,however comfortable mid table.
The Owners must be very disappointed with the results,given the amount spent.
There just doesn’t seem to be any team spirit,starting with the skipper.
I understand what Gomes is trying to do,But it just isn’t working.
Unless he manages to ramp up the performance,he will be gone by November.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Sep 2019 18:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup
windermereROYAL I think the Blackburn colours were atrocious, grey with green socks, no excuses but might explain some of our passes straight to their players.

Actually I did think that myself. Surprised it was allowed , such poor contrast. But you’d expect them to then pass balls to us to.

Agree on both of these points. The light and shade on the pitch probably didn't help either.

Was wondering if we were going to do a Stevenage and change kits at half-time.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2019 19:59

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Zip

Talking points for me:

Not sure, in truth.

My opinion is we have a squad worthy of the playoffs when they’re firing on all cylinders. We’ve see what they can do. They have played some amazing football and each has shown what they are capable of. One thing is for sure though: this squad is definitely not worthy of 20th.

That’s what a lot of people were saying two years ago (the squad is too good for a relegation battle) and we only just escaped it on the last day of the season. It’s important not to get complacent and repeat that mistake

I don’t think we’ll get near the playoffs this season, not until we have a plan B. You know pretty much as soon as go a goal down we’re not getting anything out of the game because we have no other plan other than tippy tappy rubbish along the back

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 22 Sep 2019 20:46

Due to a 2 month period of sciatica this is the first time I have been able to get to the Mad Stad this season. I was looking forward to seeing the 'new' Reading. Even though we have lost games recently this forum has been almost unanimous in praising the potential of our current squad. It just needed time to gel.

What I actually saw was a team with no energy, no sense of urgency and, crucially, no desire!! We misplaced simple passes; seemed incapable of winning heading duels; gave the ball away at our throw-ins and could barely be bothered to contest theirs; were second to practically every loose ball. And we were slow, slow, slow! Morrison, in particular, looked out of his depth taking an inordinate length of time to pass the ball when in possession, finally releasing it feebly sideways or backwards.

By contrast, Blackburn chased every ball and closed us down relentlessly. They attacked with speed and forced us into mistakes. They eased up a little after scoring for the second time and only then we did we get back into the match and score. Thereafter, Rovers pressed again and we never really looked like scoring. Their possession during the final added-on minutes was as frustrating as it was effective but, by that time, we had given up trying anyway.

No-one comes out of this shambles with much credit. It was good to see Jordan back again and he was probably MOTM for me. It was between him and Yiadom. Eljaria is obviously technically gifted but lost the ball too often. I would like to see him in the box more often - daring defenders to tackle him. No-one else merits a mention.

The referee (and assistants) were the worst I have seen for some time. Perfectly legal tackles were penalised for both sides. And I thought there was an obvious Offside leading up to their second goal. But - no complaints - we deserved to lose.

Maybe my sciatica will return - one can dream!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Sep 2019 20:49

marlowuk Due to a 2 month period of sciatica this is the first time I have been able to get to the Mad Stad this season. I was looking forward to seeing the 'new' Reading. Even though we have lost games recently this forum has been almost unanimous in praising the potential of our current squad. It just needed time to gel.

What I actually saw was a team with no energy, no sense of urgency and, crucially, no desire!! We misplaced simple passes; seemed incapable of winning heading duels; gave the ball away at our throw-ins and could barely be bothered to contest theirs; were second to practically every loose ball. And we were slow, slow, slow! Morrison, in particular, looked out of his depth taking an inordinate length of time to pass the ball when in possession, finally releasing it feebly sideways or backwards.

By contrast, Blackburn chased every ball and closed us down relentlessly. They attacked with speed and forced us into mistakes. They eased up a little after scoring for the second time and only then we did we get back into the match and score. Thereafter, Rovers pressed again and we never really looked like scoring. Their possession during the final added-on minutes was as frustrating as it was effective but, by that time, we had given up trying anyway.

No-one comes out of this shambles with much credit. It was good to see Jordan back again and he was probably MOTM for me. It was between him and Yiadom. Eljaria is obviously technically gifted but lost the ball too often. I would like to see him in the box more often - daring defenders to tackle him. No-one else merits a mention.

The referee (and assistants) were the worst I have seen for some time. Perfectly legal tackles were penalised for both sides. And I thought there was an obvious Offside leading up to their second goal. But - no complaints - we deserved to lose.

Maybe my sciatica will return - one can dream!

This basically.

We had absolutely no sense of purpose or plan. Utterly clueless.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Sep 2019 21:48

WestYorksRoyal Serious question. This team played as well as we have seen in several years against Cardiff, West Brom and Huddersfield. It wasn't perfect, the first 30 minutes at Huddersfield wasn't good. But, as a 3 game spell it was excellent.

What has happened to make the next 3 so shit? And can we turn it around again? Still have patience for Gomes, but if we don't improve in another month then questions are justified.

I had the same thoughts

The only real difference personnel wise is Miazga. Hopefully he will make a big difference when he's back and the back 3 will look as fluid and effective as it did against Cardiff fur example.

But that doesn't account for the lack of energy or urgency. I can only hope this will return after a win.

Maybe Miazga will bring a clean sheet then a win and then the confidence and energy will return?
No pressure Matt!

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 22 Sep 2019 21:56

Ha. I said this in the first minute to a fellow Nobber .... the kits were really quite confusing but that doesn't mitigate how utterly bereft and spineless we were.