Out
22%

Total votes: 99
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Gomes, should he stay or should he go - poll

by Lower West » 24 Sep 2019 22:38

Need to stick with a manager and rebuild. The roller coaster of splashing the cash simply doesn't work at this level.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 24 Sep 2019 23:03

In. I think it's a combination of working-in new players and man management. Gomes has already shown he can man-manage. It sort of feels that the club are having a bit of HRK Syndrome - we did well against perceived strong sides (two sides in the PL last season and Brom) and not so well against perceived "lesser opposition".

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Sep 2019 07:10

Lower West Need to stick with a manager and rebuild. The roller coaster of splashing the cash simply doesn't work at this level.

Yup. I mean, look at Forest.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Sep 2019 08:32

PremAddict It sort of feels that the club are having a bit of HRK Syndrome - we did well against perceived strong sides (two sides in the PL last season and Brom) and not so well against perceived "lesser opposition".

Feels like this has always been the case with Reading.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Sep 2019 10:03

I would certainly give him until December but looking at the next 6 games we could easily lose them all and if so I doubt he would survive that.

I think we need at least 6 points from the next 6 or else the owners might well lose patience.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Sep 2019 10:07

Bloddy Bedwetters.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Sep 2019 10:26

Three games ago we were talking about the playoffs, now we are talking about sacking the manager.

What the f*ck is wrong with football fans? Has it always been like this, or is it only since the age of social media? I never remember people shitting the bed this much back in the day.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Sep 2019 10:31

genome Three games ago we were talking about the playoffs, now we are talking about sacking the manager.

What the f*ck is wrong with football fans? Has it always been like this, or is it only since the age of social media? I never remember people shitting the bed this much back in the day.

I keep thinking this and sometimes I think it can't have been like this back in the day, but then I also think that people who had these views just didn't have the platform/exposure to share their views.

I also think that culture, in general, has totally changed and everyone is after instant success and anything else is failure.

Me, I like to think I am old school. If the football is decent and we are scoring goals and winning a few football matches, there is no reason to change, just because we lose a few games in a row.

if we were to finish mid table, as the 30th best team in the country, that shouldn't be seen as a failure.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Sep 2019 10:46

Hendo
genome Three games ago we were talking about the playoffs, now we are talking about sacking the manager.

I keep thinking this and sometimes I think it can't have been like this back in the day, but then I also think that people who had these views just didn't have the platform/exposure to share their views.

I also think that culture, in general, has totally changed and everyone is after instant success and anything else is failure.

Me, I like to think I am old school. If the football is decent and we are scoring goals and winning a few football matches, there is no reason to change, just because we lose a few games in a row.

if we were to finish mid table, as the 30th best team in the country, that shouldn't be seen as a failure.

Social media does have a general atmosphere of negativity (not just for football), as people use it to moan and make reactionary knee-jerk comments, especially on Twitter. I think this sort of thing ends up permeating through social media as a whole and you end up with those views becoming the norm and expectations become massively out of line with reality.

It really has made the world a ridiculous place

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 25 Sep 2019 10:49

I mean it would be nice to go on a run of results again some time in my lifetime, but Gomes is just the sort of stabilising influence the club needs, and that outweighs everything else at the moment.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Sep 2019 11:42

Hendo
PremAddict It sort of feels that the club are having a bit of HRK Syndrome - we did well against perceived strong sides (two sides in the PL last season and Brom) and not so well against perceived "lesser opposition".

I think they key with our title winning sides was to fill the team with players who were perhaps perceived to be inferior, thereby viewing all the other teams as stronger...... some unknows from Ireland, Stephen Hunt on a free transfer, Adam Le Fondre from 2 divisions down etc etc

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 25 Sep 2019 12:01

Hendo

+1 felt like we've been like that for years. The only season really since we got relegated in 2013 that I've felt confident we would win the matches we were expected to was 2016-17 (and for a while 2015-16).

Also feel that the 3-5-2 formation maybe best suited to away games and games against the better sides, so with the games coming up it may be worth sticking with. We do clearly need Miazga back though - seems like he's been a big loss.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 Sep 2019 13:37

Surprised no-one has mentioned Parky yet :D

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Sep 2019 14:10

Wally Downes looks like he might be available soon if people are feeling really stupid

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Sep 2019 14:42

Royalwaster Surprised no-one has mentioned Parky yet :D

Has far as I know Dellor is not a BM on here.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Sep 2019 15:56

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Aeroguide Darling you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rShouldIGo

That song was in my head the moment I saw the title.
Me too, although I believe
If he stays there could be trouble
If he goes there will be double

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 27 Sep 2019 21:30

URZZZZ Bring Brian back

Good call or Parky, wait a minute what about Mick Gooding plus Parky with Mad Dog?., unstoppable.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 27 Sep 2019 21:32

Royalwaster Surprised no-one has mentioned Parky yet :D

He has been on another thread, try to be more alert please.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 27 Sep 2019 21:38

Not me, said from the start not the messiah, no FL experience, unproven, 3rd choice, cheap option, shiny shoes greasy hair and nothing in between.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Sep 2019 22:21

karbota
URZZZZ Bring Brian back

Good call or Parky, wait a minute what about Mick Gooding plus Parky with Mad Dog?., unstoppable.
you forgot Mark McGee...we were pretty good under him too.

Three defeats (+1) on the bounce....whoopee oxf*rd do

Let us review his ‘sacking’ at the end of the season shall we? :roll:

It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:55