MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h) sponsored by a Yann Kermorgant penalty

230 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fulham (h) sponsored by a Yann Kermorgant penalty

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Oct 2019 14:17

Snowflake Royal Wednesday pal is adamant Joao is just not at all the kind to lead the line and hold the ball up.

And tbh I don't really see him as a big strong physical player who is good back to goal.

If he is going to play like that, he can't throw his arms in the air and shake his head every time someone loses the ball or doesn't pass to him or takes a shot and doesn't score.

It's a good job I'm not manager, because the head down, shaking, complaining arms up in the air stuff would result in an instant substitution from me. Stop sulking, get stuck in.

I get it. What winds me up is when a player brings the ball forward and then holds their hands up with a "well who am I supposed to pass it too" look slapped all over their Chevy Chase.

But Joao hasn't really annoyed me yet. He has been in great positions which I'm inclined to believe is tactical rather than him just being shite.

EDIT: Damn autocorrect. That should read he hasn't been in great positions.
Last edited by NewCorkSeth on 01 Oct 2019 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Oct 2019 14:25

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I'm obviously more of a panicker than you. In my head I know it makes sense to stick with the formation, give it time to gel. But our link up play and finishing worries me. And our defending is atrocious.

My problem with sticking with that side is that:

A) Moore's been awful at RCB
B) Joao's attitude and work rate stinks.

Both have deserved dropping. Injuries and the captaincy has saved Moore. Gomes' inability to give any of his 'back up' players an extended chance has saved Joao even though he's been dropped a time or two.

I may be completely wrong on Joao but I dont think his performances (often poor) have been entirely his fault. I think hes not being used correctly. One of his most impressive attributes is his hold up play but he is being asked to do too much to thrive at that.

I'm delighted we finally have someone who can play with his back to goal. Its essential in bring the best out of Swift and Ejaria, however he cannot do that if he is also being asked to track back into the space between the oppositions midfield and defence. He needs to play higher up.

Re. Joao, yep, having him lumber around deep, I'm not sure about (and not sure he is, either). He was behind Swift at times on Sat. Wonder how much thought has gone in to that, or whether it's just a way to get him on the park.

Re. Ejaria, want a big game from him tonite. And I mean end product. Doesn't have an assist in Champ this season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Oct 2019 14:29

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal My problem with sticking with that side is that:

Both have deserved dropping. Injuries and the captaincy has saved Moore. Gomes' inability to give any of his 'back up' players an extended chance has saved Joao even though he's been dropped a time or two.

I may be completely wrong on Joao but I dont think his performances (often poor) have been entirely his fault. I think hes not being used correctly. One of his most impressive attributes is his hold up play but he is being asked to do too much to thrive at that.

I'm delighted we finally have someone who can play with his back to goal. Its essential in bring the best out of Swift and Ejaria, however he cannot do that if he is also being asked to track back into the space between the oppositions midfield and defence. He needs to play higher up.

Re. Joao, yep, having lumber around in midfield, I'm not sure about (and not sure he is, either). He was behind Swift at times on Sat. Wonder how much thought has gone in to that, or whether it's just a way to get him on the park.

Re. Ejaria, want a big game from him tonite. And I mean end product. Doesn't have an assist in Champ this season.

But has 2 goals?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Oct 2019 14:35

Hendo
Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth I may be completely wrong on Joao but I dont think his performances (often poor) have been entirely his fault. I think hes not being used correctly. One of his most impressive attributes is his hold up play but he is being asked to do too much to thrive at that.

Re. Joao, yep, having lumber around in midfield, I'm not sure about (and not sure he is, either). He was behind Swift at times on Sat. Wonder how much thought has gone in to that, or whether it's just a way to get him on the park.

But has 2 goals?

Yes, and in the role/position/freedom he plays, want him to be a provider too. Long season ahead yet, of course.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2019 14:51

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal My problem with sticking with that side is that:

Re. Joao, yep, having him lumber around deep, I'm not sure about (and not sure he is, either). He was behind Swift at times on Sat. Wonder how much thought has gone in to that, or whether it's just a way to get him on the park.

Tbf our equalizer came from Joao holding the ball up, playing a one-two with Swift (who was ahead of him) then laying it off for Yiadom to shoot. It's clearly a tactic that can work if , as you among others have pointed out , the penny drops with him that he needs to use his strength to hold off players rather than look for the slightest opportunity for a free kick as his first option.

We are still very much a work in progress but I still think the 3 at the back when Miazga is fit to play on the right side of defence and Joao/Puscas up front is the way to go.

One of the impressive things about Puscas for me is that his movement with or without the ball is very direct. I didn't see the whole Swansea game so will defer to others if they think he stopped making runs in that game but even on the sky highlight package he still looked like he was getting into good positions. I do think that we need to look at the fact that Joao/Boye/Ejaria and to a lesser extent Swift do seem to want an extra touch or two at times when there could be an earlier pass on. He's certainly not the most subtle footballer on Earth but I believe he will absolutely get goals if we get him service.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2019 14:55

Denver Royal
Hendo
Denver Royal Re. Joao, yep, having lumber around in midfield, I'm not sure about (and not sure he is, either). He was behind Swift at times on Sat. Wonder how much thought has gone in to that, or whether it's just a way to get him on the park.

But has 2 goals?

Yes, and in the role/position/freedom he plays, want him to be a provider too. Long season ahead yet, of course.

All I'll say there in his defence is that in essence he's a transition player rather than a direct creative provider like Swift for example. Absolutely he can do better with his final ball and quicker decision making in the final third but his value to attacks should be measured on more than simple "Assist Stats" in my opinion.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Oct 2019 15:30

Vision
Denver Royal
Hendo
But has 2 goals?

All I'll say there in his defence is that in essence he's a transition player rather than a direct creative provider like Swift for example. Absolutely he can do better with his final ball and quicker decision making in the final third but his value to attacks should be measured on more than simple "Assist Stats" in my opinion.

Yep, agreed.
Also agree on Puscas. Easy to forget Puscas, Boye, Virginia, (and Ejaria), etc, are young players still learning and are not the finished article. When we sign someone there are hopes and expectations for their impact, but when I saw their ages I paused. They also didn't have a preseason here or go on our tour. So not surprising if they didn't start fast.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2019 16:18

In Puscas's case part of the problem is he did start fast which raised expectations and had the excitable calling him amazing. So a near inevitable stall has set a few teeth on edge.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 01 Oct 2019 16:43

John Smith
royalp-we Cairney, Knockaert, Cavaleiro and Mitrovic. Without doubt the most dangerous team we have faced so far (along with West Brom). A goal threat from all areas.

Calm down mate, they're not all that. Before they beat Wigan on Friday they hadn't won in 4 games.

A draw for sure.

They’ve also won 4 games. I’m sure they are dreading coming to fortress Madejski :|

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Oct 2019 17:17

royalp-we
John Smith
royalp-we Cairney, Knockaert, Cavaleiro and Mitrovic. Without doubt the most dangerous team we have faced so far (along with West Brom). A goal threat from all areas.

Calm down mate, they're not all that. Before they beat Wigan on Friday they hadn't won in 4 games.

A draw for sure.

They’ve also won 4 games. I’m sure they are dreading coming to fortress Madejski :|

They’ll have something in common with most Reading fans then.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2019 17:22

Aye. Looking forward to extending my record this season to 0-0-4

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Oct 2019 18:18

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I'm obviously more of a panicker than you. In my head I know it makes sense to stick with the formation, give it time to gel. But our link up play and finishing worries me. And our defending is atrocious.

My problem with sticking with that side is that:

I agree he can be used better.

Also agree with your later post Ian about him just sulking and throwing his arms about when things don't work and possibly not being a full-on hold up player, but certainly he has the ability to turn and and run at goal, out of nothing.

The goal against Swansea for example was Joao basically running in with some great 1-2s into the box laying it beautifully for Yiadom.

Players like that (who just try crazy shit that sometimes come off) will almost certainly get some moments where things don't work out but I'd honestly be shitting myself playing against the likes of Ejaria and Joao who can just turn and run at you. Big tall lanky f**kers running at you is not something you want as a defender.

One thing that is guaranteed NOT to work is constantly chopping and changing. I think at some point Jose has to just take a punt. I for one have seen enough to say Joao and Puscas should be developed into a partnership.

Joao isn't *just* a hold up player. He can also as above turn and run at you and is a big unwieldy threat up front and we know he has a cracking finish. And Puscas is just a goal-hungry Forster-esque little terror who gets into the right positions 9.5 times out of 10 and miss some 'sitters' but he'll also definitely put loads away. Get them playing well together and they will terrorise defences. Or at the very least they'll allow the likes of Swift and Ejaria and Yiadom to bang goals in as the defence is caught up trying to silence them instead, which is exactly what has been happening. It was no fluke that the top of the league team AT HOME with only one job - to keep hold of a 1-0 lead - were totally unable to do so with Joao running at them.

Dick around with different combinations including Meite, Loader, Boye and we'll be having the same debate come January.

Boye - don't know his role btu probably will do well as a utilty winger type player if we need to change shape. Meite - a great squad player to have who were it not for P&J would be first on my team sheet. For now, supersub. Loader - squad player who hopefully will ease into greatness with time.

Jose just needs to make a decision and stick with it. I'd love him to say "guys - you are my strikers for the next 5 games no matter what happens. Form a partnership and prove me right or I will have a rethink."

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 01 Oct 2019 18:29

Any chance of it being rained off?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2019 18:32

Can’t see it. Ground is still pretty firm

Pretty much average weather for most of our northern rivals

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Oct 2019 19:01

Barrett starts.

Miazga on the bench.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Oct 2019 19:05

Good team. Although again no Baldock and would rather Swift further forward

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2019 19:06

4-3-3 then?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Oct 2019 19:06

4 at the back.

Meite and Puscas up front.

Rinomhota, Richards and Barrett start.

Moore and Morrison as centre backs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Oct 2019 19:09

Or. Gomes is oxf*rd with us and playing Yids at CB and Rinomhota at RB...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Oct 2019 19:10

That left side is going to be taken apart.

230 posts