MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a) sponsored by hopeless causes

270 posts
Bigtimmeh

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a) sponsored by hopeless causes

by Bigtimmeh » 02 Oct 2019 00:13

I agree with the people above who are still starting puscas..I think it's important not to give up on him yet. We still have an old McCleary who may still have something left in him...for me the problem is a lack of midfielders who can tackle...rhino is the only one really..pele is ok but hardly likely to be our saviour.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2019 05:21

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal He can't defend, doesn't cross and is never in position.

And yet some people are saying he’s the best RB in the league?

Agree with Rinomhota and Pele in midfield. We need to protect the defence and stop being a walk over.

Ejaria needs to play further up.

LOL @ those people.

I'm one of those people.. maybe not the best but one of the best.

I cant say I ever thought he cant defend. He makes mistakes but he is isolated. And he makes a lot less mistakes then most in our team. Not that that is good in and of itself...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 07:50

Would like a few changes for Bristol City away. Liam Moore needs a rest, last night is clear evidence of that.

Rafael

Morrison
Miazga
McIntyre

Yiadom
Pele
Rinomhota
Ejaria
Richards

Puscas
Joao

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 07:50

Bigtimmeh We still have an old McCleary who may still have something left in him...

Definitely doesn't.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2019 07:56

Old Man Andrews Would like a few changes for Bristol City away. Liam Moore needs a rest, last night is clear evidence of that.

Rafael

Morrison
Miazga
McIntyre

Yiadom
Pele
Rinomhota
Ejaria
Richards

Puscas
Joao

Dropping the goalscorer and rotating the strikers yet again.

Meite has to play.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 07:58

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews Would like a few changes for Bristol City away. Liam Moore needs a rest, last night is clear evidence of that.

Rafael

Morrison
Miazga
McIntyre

Yiadom
Pele
Rinomhota
Ejaria
Richards

Puscas
Joao

Dropping the goalscorer and rotating the strikers yet again.

Meite has to play.

His overall game is poor and offers us nothing on the wing. We need to get crosses into the box for Puscas to attack, pretty obvious....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Oct 2019 08:41

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal How about, what worked last year.

........................Cabral
....Howe, Miazga, Morrison, Obita
..............Rinomhota, Pele
Meite..............Ejaria..................Barrett
.......................Puscas

Full backs who can cross and don't spend all game in the opposition half. A midfield with some presence. A bit of width.

Happy with that. Would be delighted if Yiadom wasnt unfairly dropped.

He can't defend, doesn't cross and is never in position.

Made more interceptions and more tackles than any other Reading player last season and blocked more crosses than any other defender in the league.

For someone who can't cross he has two assists already this season and was one of our top assist makers last season as well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 08:43

sandman
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Happy with that. Would be delighted if Yiadom wasnt unfairly dropped.

Made more interceptions and more tackles than any other Reading player last season and blocked more crosses than any other defender in the league.

For someone who can't cross he has two assists already this season and was one of our top assist makers last season as well.

What has last season got to do with anything? Typical Reading supporter, living in the past.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 08:43

still absolutely fuming by the performance last night, and don't really see where we can go from it

However, fwiw, I'd go something like

Rafael
Yiadom Miazga Morrison Obita
Pele Rino
Olise
Barrett Puscas Meite

Moore, Ejaria, Walker, Joao, Baldock, Richards, Howe

Be very harsh to drop Barrett again after forcing his way back into the 11. He wasn't any worse than anyone else. And the front 3 need a run
Ejaria is offering nothing at the moment, so Olise in to replace

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 08:45

Old Man Andrews We need to get crosses into the box for Puscas to attack, pretty obvious....

think this is the one single thing that is pi$$ing me off more than anything. Its obvious the strengths of Joao, Meite and Puscas are decent crosses into the box. Did we put a single cross in last night?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 08:51

Hound
Old Man Andrews We need to get crosses into the box for Puscas to attack, pretty obvious....

think this is the one single thing that is pi$$ing me off more than anything. Its obvious the strengths of Joao, Meite and Puscas are decent crosses into the box. Did we put a single cross in last night?

We are so narrow when Meite plays out wide because his natural inclination is to play centrally. I'd like a wing back system on Saturday with two strikers in an attempt to get more crosses into the box.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 08:53

Old Man Andrews
Hound

We are so narrow when Meite plays out wide because his natural inclination is to play centrally. I'd like a wing back system on Saturday with two strikers in an attempt to get more crosses into the box.

Then play him centrally. He isn't a 'winger' in the standard sense, because, yes his crossing is shit and he can't really beat a man with skill

Continuing the rant - it seems are play is aimed towards getting through balls through centrally. The one striker we have absolutely suited to that (Baldock) has been banished to....wherever he is. Its ridiculous

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2019 08:59

I reckon Meite is at his best as a wide forward who cuts inside onto his strong foot. Hence he plays as a Right Inside Forward. He, like Bodvarsson, has a natural inclination to moving outside on runs. It's not great as a sole central striker. He either has to play in a pair or as one of 3.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2019 09:01

NewCorkSeth I reckon Meite is at his best as a wide forward who cuts inside onto his strong foot. Hence he plays as a Right Inside Forward. He, like Bodvarsson, has a natural inclination to moving outside on runs. It's not great as a sole central striker. He either has to play in a pair or as one of 3.

He's been fine as a central striker. He can still play on the right side of centre (ie the channel) and cut in to use the left foot

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2019 09:02

Hound
NewCorkSeth I reckon Meite is at his best as a wide forward who cuts inside onto his strong foot. Hence he plays as a Right Inside Forward. He, like Bodvarsson, has a natural inclination to moving outside on runs. It's not great as a sole central striker. He either has to play in a pair or as one of 3.

He's been fine as a central striker. He can still play on the right side of centre (ie the channel) and cut in to use the left foot

Sorry, I wasnt clear, that's exactly what I am trying to say.

When he plays on the right he isnt playing as a winger in any sense other than defensively. Hes playing as a wide forward in a paring of 3 forwards. Which is easily his best position.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Oct 2019 09:10

Old Man Andrews
sandman

What has last season got to do with anything? Typical Reading supporter, living in the past.

:|

Typical OMA being overly confrontational for no reason. Shame you had cut all that out.

Anyone would think I was referencing something from 15 years ago not a few months ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2019 09:42

sandman
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Happy with that. Would be delighted if Yiadom wasnt unfairly dropped.

Ok, I take back that he can't defend, it's just he's never there to do the defending this season, because Gomes doesn't seem to want him in our half.

PS you can get an assist without crossing. Cuts inside and runs into the box way too much. Being one of Reading's top assisters last season isn't a huge achievement.

Yiadom is too cavalier to play under Gomes right now, because Gomes doesn't have a oxf*rd clue how to organise and manage defending, and Yiadom's natural inclination to maraud up the wing needs to be restrained a bit, not actively encouraged.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Oct 2019 10:17

Hound still absolutely fuming by the performance last night, and don't really see where we can go from it

However, fwiw, I'd go something like

Rafael
Yiadom Miazga Morrison Obita
Pele Rino
Olise
Barrett Puscas Meite

Moore, Ejaria, Walker, Joao, Baldock, Richards, Howe

Be very harsh to drop Barrett again after forcing his way back into the 11. He wasn't any worse than anyone else. And the front 3 need a run
Ejaria is offering nothing at the moment, so Olise in to replace

Would prefer Boye in for Barrett but that team looks solid enough. Just any team with two actual midfielders and fullbacks that stay back and we may have a chance. Swifts red card could actually be a blessing in disguise, even though he’s comfortably been our best player so far

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Oct 2019 10:18

Old Man Andrews
Hound

We play narrow because that’s what Gomes instructs them to do with the width meant to be from the fullbacks. No point having Yiadom and Richards as the two wingbacks because neither can cross the ball

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Oct 2019 10:29

Snowflake Royal
sandman

Ok, I take back that he can't defend, it's just he's never there to do the defending this season, because Gomes doesn't seem to want him in our half.

PS you can get an assist without crossing. Cuts inside and runs into the box way too much. Being one of Reading's top assisters last season isn't a huge achievement.

Yiadom is too cavalier to play under Gomes right now, because Gomes doesn't have a oxf*rd clue how to organise and manage defending, and Yiadom's natural inclination to maraud up the wing needs to be restrained a bit, not actively encouraged.

Yup. His two assists were touches in our own half for the Swift and Puscas breakaway goals against Cardiff.

He rarely crosses the ball and on the odd occasion he does it's after 2 or 3 added touches and just gets blocked, negating the movement Puscas makes in the box. He's a decent player and I really like his energy but he's often every bit a liability defensively as Gunter was and he got absolute pelters for it.

270 posts