Worst start for many years.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Worst start for many years.

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 10:16

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Forbury Lion Adam is playing the O'Shea role of senior player with experience able to bring something to the team, not necessarily week in week out and not necessarily on the pitch.

A great example to set kicking off at being subbed off then

What player should be happy about being substituted?

I’m not expecting him to walk off with a grin on his face. But you don’t expect anyone, never mind someone of his age, to react that way. Pretty sure Gomes agrees too considering Adam had been in the squad every game before Wolves and hasn’t been seen since

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 10:22

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
It isn't quite that black and white though, if we play the poorer teams earlier, the team gets a bit of confidence and momentum and then might not do so bad against the 'stronger' teams.

But in the Championship there is a very fine line between the two on any given week. Look at the Stoke and Huddersfield squads for example, are they poor on paper? Arguably not. Preston are riding high with what is a very average squad on paper as are a much changed Swansea team.
The Championship isn't all about the talent in the squads it is about building momentum and grinding out a home 1-0 win or a 0-0 draw away from home. Other teams are much, much better than we are at that because they play systems and players to get results when they need them. What worries me about Gomes is that he cannot seems to address our soft centre and leakiness.

This really. How many times do we come away against a team high up in the table and say “I have no idea how they’re so high, they’re not even very good”. Bristol, Swansea are two examples of that in the last two weeks. It’s because they’ve got a system they’re accustomed to and they’re well drilled. Gomes is overcomplicating his tactics for a division of this nature

very much so. And as has been mentioned, he found a style last year that brought some success - and very much a case of scrapping for home wins and away draws, and seems to have moved away from it to an idealistic system he has dreamed up on the training ground

Sad thing is, I think we have the players to be a very disciplined and relatively successful team if we picked the right style and stuck with it. Experienced in the division and strikers who on paper can score goals. I think for example if Alex Neil had this lot at PNE, we'd at least be matching their position

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 16:07

Old Man Andrews In the Championship there is a very fine line between the two on any given week. Look at the Stoke and Huddersfield squads for example, are they poor on paper? Arguably not. Preston are riding high with what is a very average squad on paper as are a much changed Swansea team.
The Championship isn't all about the talent in the squads it is about building momentum and grinding out a home 1-0 win or a 0-0 draw away from home. Other teams are much, much better than we are at that because they play systems and players to get results when they need them. What worries me about Gomes is that he cannot seems to address our soft centre and leakiness.

Good post, well said.

krapmle

by krapmle » 07 Oct 2019 17:59

no were not fakesnow. you said we are improving......e-or e-or

and as for old man andrews I think you need to apologise.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Oct 2019 18:47

stealthpapes Genuine question, andrew - if that is your real name, how many cup finals does that leave us with this season?

A new manager and 35 Cup Finals to look forward to. :lol: