45%

Total votes: 124
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gomes, Should he stay or should he go? Mk2

by URZZZZ » 09 Oct 2019 00:18

leon
muirinho
Snowflake Royal For all his much lauded great man management, Gomes has managed to treat Baldock, Gunter, McCleary, Mannone and Kelly quite badly.

He's openly criticised Kelly, Loader, Puscas and Joao in the press as well from what I remember.

Plus dropping Richards, Rinomhota and Meite (multiple times) for no good reason.

It's hard to call that good man management and motivation. I can't think of another manager you could list that many players for, including ones who been in post years.

And McNulty.

Being ruthless is accepted, if it works. This season, it's not working.

Of all of those McNulty probably has the best case.id say.

Meite, Rinomhota and Richards are still getting games. And Kelly and Mannone were just plain shit.

Compare Richards performances before and after being dropped. I wouldn't even mind if it was for someone decent but Obita is the left back version of George Evans, completely average. There was no explanation for this. Rino and Meite came in one game, then dropped, then came back in, then dropped. Make your mind up about them

Kelly wasn't that bad. He was slightly above average for me but needs to excel in the right style/formula. Agreed with Mannone

Gunter and McCleary, whilst are past their best have been treated awfully IMO. You don't banish players from the first team, especially not ones that have achieved a hell of a lot more than he has

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Oct 2019 08:02

WoodleyRoyal
Jagermesiter1871 I've just cast the deciding vote. He stays!

Oh don’t you worry about that we shall have another referendum in a few weeks. Not referendum, cough, .... poll, I mean poll, don’t know why I said referendum. we shall have another POLL in a few weeks. And we shall keep having one until such time the ‘leave’ vote wins.

Ah, the Farage strategy.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2019 09:08

SCIAG
WoodleyRoyal
Jagermesiter1871 I've just cast the deciding vote. He stays!

Oh don’t you worry about that we shall have another referendum in a few weeks. Not referendum, cough, .... poll, I mean poll, don’t know why I said referendum. we shall have another POLL in a few weeks. And we shall keep having one until such time the ‘leave’ vote wins.

Ah, the Farage strategy.

Grow up

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 09:14

URZZZZ
leon
muirinho
And McNulty.

Being ruthless is accepted, if it works. This season, it's not working.

Of all of those McNulty probably has the best case.id say.

Meite, Rinomhota and Richards are still getting games. And Kelly and Mannone were just plain shit.

Compare Richards performances before and after being dropped. I wouldn't even mind if it was for someone decent but Obita is the left back version of George Evans, completely average. There was no explanation for this. Rino and Meite came in one game, then dropped, then came back in, then dropped. Make your mind up about them

Kelly wasn't that bad. He was slightly above average for me but needs to excel in the right style/formula. Agreed with Mannone

Gunter and McCleary, whilst are past their best have been treated awfully IMO. You don't banish players from the first team, especially not ones that have achieved a hell of a lot more than he has

I'm sure all of those things fed into losing the dressing room. I think with Obita he was trying to be too clever, and give the crowd etc a lift. Much like his tactics, a kind of ideal dreamed up on Hogwood rather than a practical choice. Richards would have every right to be thoroughly pissed off by it.

McCleary and Gunter - I don't think chopping them out of the first team squad altogether was the correct choice. Try to move them on - fine. But otherwise they still have every right to fight for their place. The problem for me is by banishing them, they have no motivation to be part of the set up and yes, no doubts they have caused a little bit of trouble behind the scenes.

Baldock has been treated worse imo. Been given absolutely no chance, not even getting mins in the last cup game. And this after going on tour (rumoured after being asked very late to join), giving his all when he has had a chance, scoring a very good goal against Chelsea, and our strikers not scoring any goals. Of everyone in the squad, he gains the most from Gomes leaving.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2019 09:29

Interesting how this thread started 40% in / 60% out.

Over the past few days it has swung to 55% in / 40% out, which is quite a swing.

Seems people are beginning to feel sorry for him lately as it dawns on them he might actually be going?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Oct 2019 09:50

I think this sacking has been likely for a while.

I feel sorry for Gomes as I am not entirely sure that it is all his fault but the main issue is his complete lack of tactical awareness and ability to change games. If we do not change managers now we are 100% going to struggle all season whereas a change might just galvanise the players and give us some chance of at least moving up the table a tad.

But - and I know we have said this multiple times before - the club really does need a long term appointment now.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 09:57

2 world wars, 1 world cup Interesting how this thread started 40% in / 60% out.

Over the past few days it has swung to 55% in / 40% out, which is quite a swing.

Seems people are beginning to feel sorry for him lately as it dawns on them he might actually be going?

Polls created within an hour of a loss also get stronger emotional reactions at first. People probably stepping back and thinking more rationally now.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2019 10:07

WestYorksRoyal

Polls created within an hour of a loss also get stronger emotional reactions at first. People probably stepping back and thinking more rationally now.

Exactly. Initial results purely reactionary.

I'd guess mood is probably more 65-70% IN.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 12:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup
WestYorksRoyal

Exactly. Initial results purely reactionary.

I'd guess mood is probably more 65-70% IN.

Bare in mind I voted In because I thought it was still a game or so early but am actually happy he's going.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2019 14:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup Over the past few days it has swung to 55% in / 40% out, which is quite a swing.

Your maths is almost as bad as your opinions are.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2019 15:10

John Smith
2 world wars, 1 world cup Over the past few days it has swung to 55% in / 40% out, which is quite a swing.

Your maths is almost as bad as your opinions are.

Lol at my maths spot on.

Unnecessarily shit thing to say about opinions.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 15:11

It's offish, on the OS now

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 15:15

genome It's offish, on the OS now

Offish? :|

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Oct 2019 15:27

Reading Football Club badge - Link to home
Club News
Club statement | Royals part company with José Gomes
First team manager departs Reading Football Club

Just now

Reading Football Club can announce that José Gomes has left his position as first team manager.

Gomes joined the club at the end of December 2018 and successfully steered the club away from the threat of relegation.

However, following just two wins in the first 11 league games in 2019-20, owner Mr Yongge Dai has made the difficult decision to part company with Gomes and make a change at first team level.

We would like to sincerely thank José for his hard work during his tenure as manager at Reading Football Club and we wish him the very best of luck in his future career.

The club will make no additional comment at this time but will provide further updates as soon as possible.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 15:28

Old Man Andrews

Offish.
Official.

Get with the lingo

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 15:29

genome
Old Man Andrews

Offish.
Official.

Get with the lingo

No I know what you meant I have just never seen you be that "street" before.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 15:36

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

Offish.
Official.

Get with the lingo

No I know what you meant I have just never seen you be that "street" before.

I'll have you know I'm a hip happening man about town

REDOXO

by REDOXO » 09 Oct 2019 15:50

Bristol City fan with a comment!

Once Reading/Gomes had worked out how to play around Brownhill and Massengo on Saturday City were hanging on. Puscas missed a nightmare sitter and Bentley pulled off two very good saves.

For my tuppence Reading looked very decent with not much luck in front of goal/lacking a forward. Sacking Gomes after playing so well seems tough. So you bring someone in, he still has the same squad. The players certainly didnt strike me that they were not playing for the manager.

Good luck!

Basildon

by Basildon » 09 Oct 2019 16:47

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Oct 2019 16:51

Basildon nice parting message from Jose...

http://leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/jose-gomes-statement/

I think I actually love him a little bit.

<3

323 posts