BFTG Bristol

137 posts
Bristol Paul

Re: BFTG Bristol

by Bristol Paul » 06 Oct 2019 03:35

URZZZZ
Carlos Amazed by the Ejaria hatred on this board. Who laid it on a plate with a lovely pass for puscas to fluff his lines? Who constantly second half ran with the ball through the midfield trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck. He's our only creative midfielder bar a very inconsistent swift, he could quite simply walk into any championship team and yet you lot class him as a ponderously average midfielder. Would love to know who you'd prefer to be in that midfield if he was that bad day...

Agreed it was a great pass by Ejaria. But how many assists does he have this season? How many does Swift have? Ejaria, as a CAM simply isn’t good enough

Agree with Carlos. Bristol City fans were raving about him, I think he’d get into most sides in this division.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 06 Oct 2019 04:09

I know things are not looking good right now but it is too early to panic. We knew we were coming into a run of 6 hard games so it's no surprise that we're not picking up points. However, there are some things that need to change.

I really don't think it is massively important what system we play so long as we play it consistently. That is how you get a team to gel. A settled side also helps that, although I think Gomes is getting closer to knowing what his best team is.

We need to play a higher line and to press the opposition more. That is what most teams do to us and we cannot handle it. And we need to think faster and move the ball faster. We were doing that at the start of the season with good success, so we do have the players to play that way.

And we need to put away our chances! Gomes is acutely aware of this of course and it is mainly a confidence problem so I'm not sure what he can do about it.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 06 Oct 2019 08:42

marlowuk I know things are not looking good right now but it is too early to panic. We knew we were coming into a run of 6 hard games so it's no surprise that we're not picking up points. However, there are some things that need to change.

I really don't think it is massively important what system we play so long as we play it consistently. That is how you get a team to gel. A settled side also helps that, although I think Gomes is getting closer to knowing what his best team is.

We need to play a higher line and to press the opposition more. That is what most teams do to us and we cannot handle it. And we need to think faster and move the ball faster. We were doing that at the start of the season with good success, so we do have the players to play that way.

And we need to put away our chances! Gomes is acutely aware of this of course and it is mainly a confidence problem so I'm not sure what he can do about it.

Agree with the pressing, the team at the moment seem to think they can take it easy first 20 and let the opposition play while they sit back. They need to press and Hassle from the off like they did second half, not give teams 20 minutes of free football every game. Also like to go back to 442 personally with Meite on one wing, Ejaria/Boye/ Barrett on the other with Swift, Pele and Rino in the middle.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 06 Oct 2019 09:25

A team with confidence who took their chances would have won that game, that's all we're lacking. In any other game one of Meite, Puscas or Boye would have put away their chance.

Bristol were bang average, but they have a system and everyone knows how to play it. That's what we need to do, stability in players and a formation then the results will come.

Pretty decent away day, Bristol centre/old town is pretty good.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2019 09:31

PieEater A team with confidence who took their chances would have won that game, that's all we're lacking. In any other game one of Meite, Puscas or Boye would have put away their chance.

Bristol were bang average, but they have a system and everyone knows how to play it. That's what we need to do, stability in players and a formation then the results will come.

Pretty decent away day, Bristol centre/old town is pretty good.

This is the frustration. Bristol City are in the play offs and are bang average. I don’t think though that stability in players and formation is enough though. Our playing style is a big part of the problem and if you play wing backs that can’t defend or cross the ball it exacerbates the problem.

Gomes has two weeks to sort this mess out. One point from six games has screwed any chance of a good season. We are in a relegation battle and he needs a playing style that involves scrapping for the ball and not standing off.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Oct 2019 09:42

Watching highlights on Quest and MOTD just shows how many goals come from getting the ball into the box early. Something we just do not do, and haven’t done for many seasons. Doesn’t matter if it is wingers or full backs. Just get in in the box.

We also lack pace in the squad, thus making it easier to defend against

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2019 09:47

Yep very much so. How many goals would Joao/Puscas have scored for say PNE I wonder?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2019 09:51

Hound Yep very much so. How many goals would Joao/Puscas have scored for say PNE I wonder?

It’s why the wingbacks need to be scrapped. Look at how many goals we concede because our wingbacks fail to stop a cross. Then look at how many crosses our wingbacks are getting into the box.

It might help if we start playing bloody wingers. We allowed our best one to go out on loan.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 10:00

Zip
Hound Yep very much so. How many goals would Joao/Puscas have scored for say PNE I wonder?

It’s why the wingbacks need to be scrapped. Look at how many goals we concede because our wingbacks fail to stop a cross. Then look at how many crosses our wingbacks are getting into the box.

It might help if we start playing bloody wingers. We allowed our best one to go out on loan.

Barrow didn’t want to be here. He put a shameful performance in against Wednesday and clearly had his mind focused elsewhere. So, I think it’s hard to blame Gomes for that. Factor in, he was poor last season too with the exception of a mini run towards the end of last season

The squad is so unbalanced right now. We have so many people who can play striker/off the striker but so few who can pay out wide. Olise, Loader, Barrett, Swift, Ejaria are all too alike for me

It’s ironic considering a couple of seasons ago people were complaining we had too many wingers. Now we have one natural winger, which is McCleary

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 10:38

There’s something very wrong with this team.

Good players who seem to each be having their own individual performances.

“Not on the same wavelength”

“Disjointed”

As described by Dellor , which from what I was watching was a perfect assessment of our afternoon.

Rafa 6. Average keeper. Nothing right, nothing wrong.
Yiadom 5 not one of his better games today for some reason
MMM- 5 Didn’t do their job. I believed we missed Miazga and with his return we’d be back to normal. What BS. Are they zone marking? They seem forever clueless as to who they are meant to be picking up. I’m fed up of it. Do we even have a defensive coach?
Richards- 6 really good going forward. Defensively had good moments too.
Rino 6 - solid but nohing special.
Ejaria 8 - controversial but he’s always rightly massively closed down. Incapable of losing the ball, almost walked it into the net. Far too good for us, a class above everyone.
Pele- 6 some shit bits, some good bits.
Puscas - 3 my “very good player”, and I defended every one of his missed sitters. Until now. That was a total sitter. Amazing ball to him and all he needed to do was touch it. Decided to take a touch. His confidence is zero.
Meite -6 tried hard as usual, some good bits. Some decent shots.

Boye 7. Surprisingly good performance. But he still has the bizarre ability to do ten difficult things well and then screw up the simplest of passes. Incredibly frustrating to watch. But he did have a fantastic turn and shoot, unlucky not to score forcing a brilliant save.
Moore (as midfielder) - 6. Actually did alright. Changed the game going in mf.
Barrett. 6 - some good crosses.
Joao ? Apparently he came on.

Ref - fine

Gomes - 3. A formation and starting team most would be happy with. Good decision to put Moore in MF. Good subs but somehow changed the game for the worse, unless Bristol’s subs had an impact (more likely). NOT PLAYING OUT FROM THE BACK as much, good. But ultimately his team let in an early goal. Again. His team lost. Again. His team disjointed and not on the same wavelength. Again. I’m not entirely sure what the game plan was other than “let’s see if this set of players in this formation works?” #gomeslottery

Too many things are going wrong and it is a slippery slope down into zero confidence territory which is I think where we are now. Puscas a prime example. The players are playing as individuals. I lost count the number of times there was balls into places where the supposedly receiving player wasn’t expecting it. Yes we looked better 2nd half but it’s easy to look better when you’re chasing a game. And we’re always chasing a game because we always go one down within minutes. I’m not saying I want him gone as I feel he can turn it around. But I’d be lying if I said I’d be upset if he and his crew were gone in the next week or so.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Oct 2019 10:56

We seem to let in a fair number of goals (often early)
that are all of the same type

Not stopping the cross, opposing striker with free header

This is the biggest single thing for me

We used to eat these crosses for breakfast, and strangely, now we have John O'Shea
(who I presume is coaching the defence) the defensive outfielders are hopeless
(at least for a while) and then get their act together.

It makes so little sense (if O'Shea is the defensive coach)

Could it be we have behind-the-scenes issues? For example a Portugese
coach is out-ranking O'Shea who is "climbing up the wall" in frustration?

It is patently STUPID to say our defenders aren't good enough.

Miazga last season was immense, Moore, even slightly off form is a very good
CB at this level (and was wanted by Brighton), Morrison up until two games ago
has been steady and solid, McIntyre (up until two games ago) was excellent and
highly-rated on WhoScored.

IMO we have a behind-the-scenes clash somewhere. Rival coaches, mixed
messages, SOMEthing

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Oct 2019 10:56

Can anybody list the free-header goals? There have been a lot.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 10:58

Bristol Paul
marlowuk I know things are not looking good right now but it is too early to panic. We knew we were coming into a run of 6 hard games so it's no surprise that we're not picking up points. However, there are some things that need to change.

Agree with the pressing, the team at the moment seem to think they can take it easy first 20 and let the opposition play while they sit back. They need to press and Hassle from the off like they did second half, not give teams 20 minutes of free football every game. Also like to go back to 442 personally with Meite on one wing, Ejaria/Boye/ Barrett on the other with Swift, Pele and Rino in the middle.

How do you play 4-4-2 with three central midfielders? I'm not convinced we'd win or mark everyone even with 12 players on the pitch.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 11:05

Snowball Can anybody list the free-header goals? There have been a lot.

Hutchinson
Irvine
Borja
Mitrovic
Diedhiou

How many goals as a result of the gap between the CB and FB?

Harris
Armstrong
Dack
Cairney

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 11:06

Snowball We seem to let in a fair number of goals (often early)
that are all of the same type

Not stopping the cross, opposing striker with free header

This is the biggest single thing for me

We used to eat these crosses for breakfast, and strangely, now we have John O'Shea
(who I presume is coaching the defence) the defensive outfielders are hopeless
(at least for a while) and then get their act together.

It makes so little sense (if O'Shea is the defensive coach)

Could it be we have behind-the-scenes issues? For example a Portugese
coach is out-ranking O'Shea who is "climbing up the wall" in frustration?

It is patently STUPID to say our defenders aren't good enough.

Miazga last season was immense, Moore, even slightly off form is a very good
CB at this level (and was wanted by Brighton), Morrison up until two games ago
has been steady and solid, McIntyre (up until two games ago) was excellent and
highly-rated on WhoScored.

IMO we have a behind-the-scenes clash somewhere. Rival coaches, mixed
messages, SOMEthing

Why would you assume that the new coach is great and being undermined by an old coach, when our defending has got much worse since the new coach took up his post?

It's this belief that O'Shea must be the second coming just because years ago he played for Utd that really pisses me off

He was a shit past it defender with no coaching experience before he joined us. He was a shit defender whilst he played for us. And now he appears to be a shit coach too.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 06 Oct 2019 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Oct 2019 11:07

URZZZZ

Hutchinson
Irvine
Borja
Mitrovic
Diedhiou

Harris
Armstrong
Dack
Cairney

What games were those?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 11:08

It'd be quicker to list which goals weren't caused that way.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 11:08

Snowball
URZZZZ

Hutchinson - Sheffield Wednesday
Irvine - Hull
Borja - Swansea
Mitrovic - Fulham
Diedhiou - Bristol

Harris - Sheffield Wednesday
Armstrong - Blackburn
Dack - Blackburn
Cairney - Fulham

What games were those?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 11:10

Snowflake Royal It'd be quicker to list which goals weren't caused that way.

Well, any goal that wasn't a cross or a huge gap between the CB and FB has been either a goalie mistake or a set piece pretty much. From memory, Joao's was the only one that wasn't

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Oct 2019 11:13

URZZZZ
Snowball
URZZZZ
Hutchinson - Sheffield Wednesday
Irvine - Hull
Borja - Swansea
Mitrovic - Fulham
Diedhiou - Bristol

Harris - Sheffield Wednesday
Armstrong - Blackburn
Dack - Blackburn
Cairney - Fulham

What games were those?

So just averagely decent defending, or the defending for the loanee period
last season, and we would be at least mid-table

Fine margins. Take out the 1-4 v Fulham (10 men) and we'd be -3 GD over 10 games,
so clearly not massively outplayed anywhere.

Obviously confidence must now be slipping badly, but a few special saves from the keeper, a CB having
a purple patch, Puscas coming good (just ONE of these) and we'd be getting a lot more points per game

137 posts