Someone unknown from the continent
3%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
Doolittle

Re: Next Manager

by Doolittle » 09 Oct 2019 16:07

Hughton please, not Hughes. Sparky left Stoke with a toxic legacy, having persuaded the owners to shell out gazillions on a stream of expensive vanity signings. We need someone to get the best out of what we've already got.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Oct 2019 16:14

Sparky is a very decent manager and.....he is scary as well.
I remember watching Wales when he was manager and after an appalling first 45 against Belarus walked past me at half time. You wouldn't f*ck with him and Id have hated to have been one of the players. Second half....different story...came straight out and Johnny Hartson did the biz.

I don't get the hatred and slagging off he gets.
He got Fulham into the Europa league ffs.....
Three top 10 finishes with City in the PL when they were not that.
Got sh*tty Stoke to 9th in the PL.
Saved Southampton from relegation when they were really in the pooh!!!!
Yeah I know he got sacked the following season but to be fair to him the board pulled the rug from under him and offloaded any talent that team had that summer....
He has a good pedigree and if Houghton wasn't available I would take him like a shot.

Wondered if we could have a Wales Day as well :wink:

royal67

by royal67 » 09 Oct 2019 16:24

Doolittle Hughton please, not Hughes. Sparky left Stoke with a toxic legacy, having persuaded the owners to shell out gazillions on a stream of expensive vanity signings. We need someone to get the best out of what we've already got.

^This...^ Hughes isn't a great match for this club. I hope that the club give the next appointment of the next manager some proper consideration and don't rush into things.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2019 16:29

Ainsworth would be a very astute choice. He'd be able to work on a budget and bring some promising talent up from Wycombe, also the likes of Akinfenwa who would also be a real handful up top.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Oct 2019 16:31

John Smith Ainsworth would be a very astute choice. He'd be able to work on a budget and bring some promising talent up from Wycombe, also the likes of Akinfenwa who would also be a real handful up top.

Akinfenwa is 37 (years not stone)
He would not survive a week at Championship level

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2019 16:35

Hound
Jaytee Have you seen Sparky's record at his last 2 clubs ? You have to be joking. :roll:

5 wins from 27 at Soton - yep crap.

71 from 200 at Stoke - isnt that actually pretty impressive? We're talking Stoke here - in the Prem

And it's an almost identical win % to Pulis' second spell at Stoke and he had 2 seasons in the Championship.

retro royal

by retro royal » 09 Oct 2019 16:38

No to Hughes

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Oct 2019 16:43

Hughes team are ugly to watch in terms of brawn in the middle with ball out wide to wingers, run at players and cross!

Isn’t that the Reading Way that everyone craves?

If available we be mad not to go for Hughton but Hughes is not the bad un everyone is making out. Should be able to deal with egos and get up and at em against teams.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 16:46

who are Talk Reading on twitter are they reliable? they just posted this

Talk Reading
@TalkReading
Mark Hughes will NOT be on Reading’s shortlist to replace José Gomes as the club look to make an appointment as soon as possible. #readingfc

EDIT; they got there info from sky sports

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 09 Oct 2019 16:53

Talk about deja vu, it's so funny the way some slag off potential replacements before they've even taken a step inside the stadium.

Personally I don't think Jesus Christ could turn this club around so who ever we get will get my full support and adulation

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2019 16:56

Ascotexgunner Sparky is a very decent manager and.....he is scary as well.
I remember watching Wales when he was manager and after an appalling first 45 against Belarus walked past me at half time. You wouldn't f*ck with him and Id have hated to have been one of the players. Second half....different story...came straight out and Johnny Hartson did the biz.

Yeah I know he got sacked the following season but to be fair to him the board pulled the rug from under him and offloaded any talent that team had that summer....
He has a good pedigree and if Houghton wasn't available I would take him like a shot.

Thanks that's good to read. Ideally Gomes will have a short chance but if not and MH is our man then it's cheered me up a bit because I've not been too excited otherwise.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Oct 2019 16:59

John Smith Ainsworth would be a very astute choice. He'd be able to work on a budget and bring some promising talent up from Wycombe, also the likes of Akinfenwa who would also be a real handful up top.

:lol:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2019 17:02

WoodleyRoyal who are Talk Reading on twitter are they reliable? they just posted this

Talk Reading
@TalkReading
Mark Hughes will NOT be on Reading’s shortlist to replace José Gomes as the club look to make an appointment as soon as possible. #readingfc

EDIT; they got there info from sky sports

I thought it was you with the amount of senseless drivel that is spouted from that account. Very, very clueless indeed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Oct 2019 17:03

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ascotexgunner Sparky is a very decent manager and.....he is scary as well.

Thanks that's good to read. Ideally Gomes will have a short chance but if not and MH is our man then it's cheered me up a bit because I've not been too excited otherwise.

Agreed, for those doubters take a read.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 09 Oct 2019 17:17

Statistics can make people look good and bad, Hughes has been good at places and bad.

Chris Hughton did well at Brighton before it all went badly wrong. In his last year (of four and a half at the club) he signed 9 players, broke the Brighton transfer record and was sacked after winning just 3 games in 24. That's an awful record.

Ainsworth or Parkinson could both be a good call or, knowing Reading, someone no one has ever heard of again.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 09 Oct 2019 17:24

Rafa Benitez or failing that Ian Royal.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Oct 2019 17:45

Think Ainsworth could be a good call and if we could get Akinfenwa that would at least add hilarity to the proceedings - but I rather doubt many goals!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2019 18:12

Just realised Tony Pulis is available....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 18:13

Ainsworth is worth a punt on his current odds. Get on it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 18:14

Sutekh Just realised Tony Pulis is available....

We certainly wouldn't end the season in the relegation zone with him at the helm. It would just mean putting up with shithouse football. Depends what we want.

606 posts