Total votes: 202
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by Hound » 10 Oct 2019 11:36

Ascotexgunner
sandman
Ascotexgunner
If that happens we are down.....and League 1 next season. Seriously it would just confirm on here that the owners know f*ck all about football and Nigel Howe has gone senile or had his brain removed by the Chinese in a "Manchurian Candidate" kind of way.
It just cant happen......IT CANT!!!!!!!!

What if I told you that in the welsh language the name Mark Bowen means Graham Potter?

HAHAHA......Sign him now. NOW!!!!!
You know I was so hoping Spurs were gonna trounce Brighton last weekend and he would be available as there were rumours......Typical!!!!
Bloody Spurs.....useless....

:lol:

yep you can never rely on Spurs. Were there rumours seriously? Ridiculous if so.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Oct 2019 11:38

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ascotexgunner
WestYorksRoyal Apparently Bowen is favourite with the bookies. What the actual oxf*rd oxf*rd?

If that happens we are down.....and League 1 next season. Seriously it would just confirm on here that the owners know f*ck all about football and Nigel Howe has gone senile or had his brain removed by the Chinese in a "Manchurian Candidate" kind of way.

Does he have a bad managerial record or something?

Never managed in his life.....Just been assistant to Hughes his entire career.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Oct 2019 11:42

Hound
Ascotexgunner
sandman
What if I told you that in the welsh language the name Mark Bowen means Graham Potter?

HAHAHA......Sign him now. NOW!!!!!
You know I was so hoping Spurs were gonna trounce Brighton last weekend and he would be available as there were rumours......Typical!!!!
Bloody Spurs.....useless....

:lol:

yep you can never rely on Spurs. Were there rumours seriously? Ridiculous if so.

Yeah...there were rumblings with the fans there. One of the radio stations on Friday were saying if Spurs win that game Potter was gonna be under intense pressure. They would have dropped into the bottom three. He is clearly trying to build something there.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 10 Oct 2019 11:45

Remember how we signed Joao a couple of days after we played against his then-team Sheffield Wednesday?

So last Saturday we played Bristol City, and you know Lee Johnson?

Well...

His dad, Gary, is the manager of Torquay United and his win percentage is currently over 50%

Just saying.

(In truth it's no more random than when we assigned Jose!)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2019 11:46

morganb Remember how we signed Joao a couple of days after we played against his then-team Sheffield Wednesday?

Well...

His dad, Gary, is the manager of Torquay United and his win percentage is currently over 50%

Just saying.

Never post on here again

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Oct 2019 11:49

John Smith
morganb Remember how we signed Joao a couple of days after we played against his then-team Sheffield Wednesday?

Well...

Just saying.

Never post on here again

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 10 Oct 2019 11:56

Hendo
John Smith

Well...

Just saying.

Never post on here again

:lol: POTD

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Oct 2019 12:53

Luis Figo moving up the odds lists - more Portuguese football?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 10 Oct 2019 13:12

Mid Sussex Royal Luis Figo moving up the odds lists - more Portuguese football?

Randomly Figo was in Guildford quite recently. I know, I know. Seriously tenuous! :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2019 13:36

You just know it’ll be Mark Bowen as the next manager though don’t you

At least he’s a former player (1 game was it, back in 1999?)

Reading have had more success with appointing new managers in their first role than they have any other type of manager eg. Branfoot, McGhee, Pardew, McDermott so perhaps MB could be seen in the same way as it would be his first sole trip in the hot seat.

Oh well let’s wait and see and if it is let’s give him a chance

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 13:38

Sutekh You just know it’ll be Mark Bowen as the next manager though don’t you

At least he’s a former player (1 game was it, back in 1999?)

Reading have had more success with appointing new managers in their first role than they have any other type of manager eg. Branfoot, McGhee, Pardew, McDermott so perhaps MB could be seen in the same way as it would be his first sole trip in the hot seat.

Oh well let’s wait and see and if it is let’s give him a chance

Only manager I wouldn't give a chance to. I wouldn't even go and watch a game under his stewardship.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Oct 2019 13:44

Ascotexgunner
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ascotexgunner

Does he have a bad managerial record or something?

Never managed in his life.....Just been assistant to Hughes his entire career.

As I thought. So how can it mean League 1 next season?

Did Pardew, McGhee, McDermott, Stam take us down in the first season? All successes at some point having never been manager.

It'd be a total anticlimax but if Bowen is given the role I'd be supportive.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Oct 2019 13:44

I reckon we're much more likely to end up with someone like karanka or costinha than ainsworth, or Hughton.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Oct 2019 14:03

Comparing Bowen to Pardew and McDermott is misplaced. Those 2 had been at the club for a long time and understood it well.

I'll give him a chance. He's been involved in football a long time so maybe it will work out well. It's a risk though.

Funny really, the people suggested initially were either exciting but risky (Ainsworth) or a little uninspiring but probably safe (Hughes). But somehow we're appointing somebody both risky and uninspiring.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 10 Oct 2019 14:19

Bowen. Been in football a long time at many clubs and has never been a manager. What makes anyone anywhere think now would be a good time to try it?

Clearly what we need in a manager experience (obviously good experience, not repeated experience of failing) more than anything else.

No point in spending 15 million on players then getting a bargain basement beginner to management them.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Oct 2019 14:32

It's not going to happen guys, relax.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Oct 2019 14:38

Crowbar6753 With Bowen at the helm its 100% going to be Mark Hughes lol
I heard on the radio this morning that Mark Bowen may take the role himself.... which would be interesting if he's the one in charge of finding a new manager

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Oct 2019 14:51

Forbury Lion
I heard on the radio this morning that Mark Bowen may take the role himself.... which would be interesting if he's the one in charge of finding a new manager

I've scoured the market, considered relative strengths and weaknesses and concluded that the best possible candidate is.....me.

Is there any way of presenting that without looking like a massive cock?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 10 Oct 2019 14:58

I personally would rather we went for either an up and coming manager to give them a go like Ainsworth, someone who knows something about the club that may at least steady the ship like Murty or Parkinson.

Parky would probably be my choice to be honest he worked miracles keeping Bolton up for as many seasons as he did with no money and no support. but the one thing his teams always had was spirit (the bit we are missing) it would be great to see what he could do with a proper budget. I would have taken Gary Monk or would still take Gary Rowett both managers who have done well in this division but have a point to prove

What I don't want is a Allardyce/Mcclaren/Hughes that is just looking for his next paycheck. Not worried about the club.

But that's just me ho hum

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Oct 2019 14:58

WestYorksRoyal
Forbury Lion

I've scoured the market, considered relative strengths and weaknesses and concluded that the best possible candidate is.....me.

Is there any way of presenting that without looking like a massive cock?

Nope and would cause many a problem if it goes tits up - does he give up the DoF role to be manager, I assume so but if he gets fired? Does he return to the DoF role or just leave?

I would have no issue with him taking charge in a caretaker capacity if needed but would hope we have removed Gomes now to ensure we have a boss by the time we get to the Preston game.

606 posts