3%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by Gunny Fishcake » 11 Oct 2019 16:25

The Enfield Royal71 It is not the manager that is the issue.

It is the awful players we have and over-expensive underachievers.

It was not too long ago when we beat Cardiff we looked utterly incredible.

Regardless of what manager we have, we are a mediocre side and have been for a few years now. I am afraid that we are stuck in a cycle now.

+1

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Oct 2019 18:42

Well looks like it won't be Ainsworth:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50013438

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2019 19:14

Royalwaster Well looks like it won't be Ainsworth:

Might prompt us to make a move.

Gareth Ainsworth is a top manager, would be very welcome here.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Oct 2019 19:25

Would the mackems expectations break him?

We are much more tolerant and less demanding.....

........maybe

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Oct 2019 19:27

What, in a nutshell, would be wrong with Parky?

Apart from anything else, he is available (so no compensation to another club) and would have the fans being supportive of him as the club tries to sort itself out.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Oct 2019 19:33

Damaged goods?

Would his style of play excite the discerning Reading crowd?

Seems to hit brick walls fast?

However, a Reading legend....one accolade that I’d rather not see besmirched by our current ‘plans’

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Oct 2019 19:54

Old Man Andrews

You want Ainsworth OMA? Should have said

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Oct 2019 19:59

Mr Angry What, in a nutshell, would be wrong with Parky?

Apart from anything else, he is available (so no compensation to another club) and would have the fans being supportive of him as the club tries to sort itself out.

Nothing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Oct 2019 20:01

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound
Was Sir Alex a pcunt in your view? I'd certainly argue he was

I imagine the likes of Keane and Hughes look after players and the team internally when they buy in to the approach

No, not really. Firm and talented.

Keane is nasty piece of work and hasn't had a job in years

Well he has, hasn't he? Do you mean a full manager's job I assume. he has at least been heavily involved in the game still, including at the champ level last year

Coaching because you can
can't get a real managers job doesn't count unless you're internal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2019 20:08

Hound
Old Man Andrews

You want Ainsworth OMA? Should have said

I'm a bit on the fence about him tbh.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Oct 2019 21:22

I've always liked the German model of football, they play fast, attractive free flowing football and their managers seem to have that strong personality about them.
One team who where fancied for relegation were SC Freiburg, however they are tearing up the Bundesliga and currently sit in 4th place, which is no mean feat. The club from the South of Germany are about the same size of Reading fc and are ofen seen as a yo yo club.
Their manager is Christian Streich, i did a wiki search and he is said to have a "Enigmatic and Energetic Personality" and also known as a "Firebrand and Philosopher" who is a cult hero with their fans!!
Maybe this chap would like a crack at English football, and as Freiburg isn't a massive club, maybe our owners could tempt him with their cash.
Will probably get shoot down for this, but hey, can't be any worse than some of the names being thrown around :D

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Oct 2019 21:38

Crowbar6753 I've always liked the German model of football, they play fast, attractive free flowing football and their managers seem to have that strong personality about them.
One team who where fancied for relegation were SC Freiburg, however they are tearing up the Bundesliga and currently sit in 4th place, which is no mean feat. The club from the South of Germany are about the same size of Reading fc and are ofen seen as a yo yo club.
Their manager is Christian Streich, i did a wiki search and he is said to have a "Enigmatic and Energetic Personality" and also known as a "Firebrand and Philosopher" who is a cult hero with their fans!!
Maybe this chap would like a crack at English football, and as Freiburg isn't a massive club, maybe our owners could tempt him with their cash.
Will probably get shoot down for this, but hey, can't be any worse than some of the names being thrown around :D

Sounds like a good suggestion, but three big problems:

1) He's in the middle of an exciting project - doubtful he'd want to give it up at this stage.
2) He's probably going to attract attention from bigger and better clubs.
3) Freiburg might not be the biggest club in Germany, but they're still fourth in the Bundesliga. Why give up a shot at the Champions League to trade it in for a shot at avoiding League One? We're not exactly the biggest club in England.

It's not quite as far-fetched as my tongue-in-cheek suggestion of Allegri, but it isn't far off.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 11 Oct 2019 21:46

Roy Keane...shocking manager, even worse pundit. Big no for me. Makes Hughes seem an attractive proposition!

Hughton or Jokanovic

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Oct 2019 21:54

SCIAG
Crowbar6753 I've always liked the German model of football, they play fast, attractive free flowing football and their managers seem to have that strong personality about them.

1) He's in the middle of an exciting project - doubtful he'd want to give it up at this stage.
3) Freiburg might not be the biggest club in Germany, but they're still fourth in the Bundesliga. Why give up a shot at the Champions League to trade it in for a shot at avoiding League One? We're not exactly the biggest club in England.

Hi SCIAG, i totally agree with your three point's, but our owner's seem to want to splash the cash and maybe a look at the success that Klopp has had in English football may sway things....but i agree, a total long shot.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Oct 2019 22:04

SCIAG

I guess as far as challenges go, getting SC Freiburg into the champions league is right up there.....however, sorting our shower of sh-t out has surly got to be an even bigger task lol :shock:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Oct 2019 23:25

You are suggesting that someone who has managed a team to sit in a champions league qualifying position in one of Europe's 'big 5' leagues might want to quit so he can move away from his home country to manage a team who are trying to avoid relegation to the 3rd tier?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Oct 2019 23:26

Winston Biscuit

You are suggesting that someone who has managed a team to sit in a champions league qualifying position in one of Europe's 'big 5' leagues might want to quit so he can move away from his home country to manage a team who are trying to avoid relegation to the 3rd tier?

We have the purple turtle

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Oct 2019 23:56

BTW anyone questioning Gomes' sacking will do well to note tomorrow is one of the few Saturdays this season we can be certain we won't lose. Coincidence?

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 12 Oct 2019 05:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup BTW anyone questioning Gomes' sacking will do well to note tomorrow is one of the few Saturdays this season we can be certain we won't lose. Coincidence?

NO........ we are not playing :roll:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Oct 2019 10:54

Neil Harris now in the betting at 8/1

GetReading have also suggested Ian Culverhouse and Željko Buvač if the club was looking for some real leftfield options though on no real grounds other than who they’ve worked with as assistants.

606 posts