8%

Total votes: 202
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Manager

by bcubed » 13 Oct 2019 10:37

leon
sandman
Notts Royal Roy Keane...shocking manager, even worse pundit. Big no for me. Makes Hughes seem an attractive proposition!

Hughton or Jokanovic

You can insult Roy Keane as a manager but I will not stand for criticism of his punditry.

This. He’s absolutely the best pundit. No They’re my football mates. He fcuking gets stuck in.

Especially Man U

And his analysis of England v Czech Rep was spot on. It's not enough to have skilful players they need energy heart aggression etc. I paraphrase.

I thought from the off the Czechs looked far more up for it than us. Maybe our players were believing the hype. No experts were giving the oppo a chance

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Oct 2019 11:10

Harvey Elliott's got a couple of weeks off, maybe they should get him to do the punditry for the Bulgaria game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Oct 2019 13:42

Bowen in the driving seat according to C Friday

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 13 Oct 2019 14:03

We won't see this kind of rubbish once we're rid of gourlay

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Oct 2019 14:17

Simon's Church We won't see this kind of rubbish once we're rid of gourlay

Feel very uneasy about this. Internal appointments worked with Pardew and McDermott because they understood the club and knew the players. Bowen is fresher than Gomes and has no managerial experience. Could be proven wrong; if so great. Also question the authenticity of the Gomes sacking. Did Bowen just see an opportunity he could capitalize on? Would we be better with Gomes?

I thought Howe would bring back some of the "Reading way" we saw under Madejski, but clearly owners have a different way of doing things. Erratic appointments and sackings will take us to League 1 eventually, even if not this year.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Oct 2019 14:41

WestYorksRoyal

Feel very uneasy about this. Internal appointments worked with Pardew and McDermott because they understood the club and knew the players. Bowen is fresher than Gomes and has no managerial experience. Could be proven wrong; if so great. Also question the authenticity of the Gomes sacking. Did Bowen just see an opportunity he could capitalize on? Would we be better with Gomes?

I thought Howe would bring back some of the "Reading way" we saw under Madejski, but clearly owners have a different way of doing things. Erratic appointments and sackings will take us to League 1 eventually, even if not this year.

The Reading Way is dead. It died when the Penniless Brat decided he wanted rid of Brian the first time and the Twatterati agreed because they wanted "better football".

The Reading Way is now just a marketing slogan someone at the club decided to use.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Oct 2019 14:48

I`ll be as furious as the next fan if Bowen gets the job, but I`m prepared to wait and see how it goes before lynching him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Oct 2019 14:53

sandman
WestYorksRoyal

The Reading Way is dead. It died when the Penniless Brat decided he wanted rid of Brian the first time and the Twatterati agreed because they wanted "better football".

The Reading Way is now just a marketing slogan someone at the club decided to use.

Still one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. You either sack him in December time on that awful run we were on and give the new man a chance or you leave it. Like Southampton did, replacing Adkins with Pochettino in early January. Which worked for them

Brian had already showed he was capable of taking a Championship side so I will never understand why we sacked him when it was pretty much confirmed we would be playing championship football next season. Just look at Dyche at Burnley. Took them up, took them down, took them back up. A terrible decision that we’re still facing the consequences of IMO

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Oct 2019 14:59

Bowen would certainly be a very unpopular choice. I’d be very surprised that’s the way it goes

Plenty of experience as an assistant but coming in as the main man into a champ club would be a big ask. Presumably he’d bring along the old Hughes coaching team

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 13 Oct 2019 16:50

WestYorksRoyal

Appointing Bowen would be a bit of a snake in the grass move considering he would have been involved in firing Gomes. But if you are going to talk about a manager knowing the club and players then you kind of missed the point here.

Knowing the club has absolutely feck all to do with us or The Reading Way soundbites from years ago. It's about knowing the players skills, their mentality, knowing the boards expectations, current issues and training. Bowen who has been here nearly a year now knows the current state of the club better than anyone else because he has pretty much been seeing everything from his previous and current role. He knows the players, culture, training, moans, personalities etc. Better than anyone. That is knowing the club.

As much as I am against appointing a sporting director who would have had a hand in firing Jose it actually does make some sense in giving him the job, as he knows better than anyone at the moment what the problems are and hopefully what needs to be done. Albeit, I would see this a short term solution until the end of the season.

As for no Managerial experience. Stam managed Ajax U21s before we gave him the job. Even McDermott only managed Reading u21s and a brief spell at Slough. Yes, he did know the club but again this was because he, like Bowen, had been part of it for a good amount of time before managing it.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Oct 2019 18:16

If it is going to be Bowen they why didn't they announce him as soon as Jose was sacked?

Almost hints at our first / second / third choice replacements have turned us down so Bowen is the only one left on the list.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Oct 2019 19:07

Hound Bowen would certainly be a very unpopular choice. I’d be very surprised that’s the way it goes

Plenty of experience as an assistant but coming in as the main man into a champ club would be a big ask. Presumably he’d bring along the old Hughes coaching team

I didn't have much of an opinion over McGhee or Gooding/Quinn but if that had happened now I'd have probably been against them. I was quite unimpressed when Pardew was appointed. I was equally unimpressed when McDermott was appointed.

I'd have been wrong on every count.

In fact going as far back as that (I don't know about earlier) history shows us internal appointments as a whole are our most successful.

So if the owners decide to get Bowen in this time I shall learn from my mistake, feel glum about no Allardyce/Hughton/Jokanovic for an hour or so then get behind the guy 100%.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Oct 2019 19:08

Don't know about anyone else but the Reading manager search is getting very Brexit for me. I cared at first but right now I'm so bored of the speculation and idiotic comments relating to it I just want it over and done with one way or another.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Oct 2019 19:09

Guess that they have to listen to Ian Royals master plan first.

#voteIan

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Oct 2019 19:14

Agree with OMA. Just get anyone in now and give them a solid week to work with the players, implement their ideas etc...we've got a tough week coming up after the break

According to the Championship form guide, in the last six games, we're playing 1st, 3rd and 4th. And we're sitting in 24th. Just appoint someone!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Oct 2019 19:19

...and the godpel according to HNA...it’s Ian Royal

might as well be

sorry for the boring bantz....but I’m bored....can we do the 10 managers in 10 years?

What an achievement that’d be

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Oct 2019 19:22

AthleticoSpizz ...and the godpel according to HNA...it’s Ian Royal

might as well be

sorry for the boring bantz....but I’m bored....can we do the 10 managers in 10 years?

Ian Royal chat has never been boring m8.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Oct 2019 19:22

Ranty McRantface
WestYorksRoyal

Appointing Bowen would be a bit of a snake in the grass move considering he would have been involved in firing Gomes. But if you are going to talk about a manager knowing the club and players then you kind of missed the point here.

Knowing the club has absolutely feck all to do with us or The Reading Way soundbites from years ago. It's about knowing the players skills, their mentality, knowing the boards expectations, current issues and training. Bowen who has been here nearly a year now knows the current state of the club better than anyone else because he has pretty much been seeing everything from his previous and current role. He knows the players, culture, training, moans, personalities etc. Better than anyone. That is knowing the club.

As much as I am against appointing a sporting director who would have had a hand in firing Jose it actually does make some sense in giving him the job, as he knows better than anyone at the moment what the problems are and hopefully what needs to be done. Albeit, I would see this a short term solution until the end of the season.

As for no Managerial experience. Stam managed Ajax U21s before we gave him the job. Even McDermott only managed Reading u21s and a brief spell at Slough. Yes, he did know the club but again this was because he, like Bowen, had been part of it for a good amount of time before managing it.

As you say, Bowen already knows about the problems, players etc but surely he also could be regarded as complicit in where we are now and presumably he has had some input into what has happened in terms of signing players etc.
I am also always a bit surprised when assistant managers get the job ,after the man that they have been working closely alongside gets the sack, and (not sure whether the facts back this up) don't seem to last very long when promoted.

Hopefully an appointment will be made before Saturday.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 13 Oct 2019 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Oct 2019 19:24

Old Man Andrews

might as well be

Ian Royal chat has never been correct m8.
(corrected for you)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Oct 2019 19:27

AthleticoSpizz
Old Man Andrews

might as well be

Ian Royal chat has never been correct m8.
(corrected for you)

One thing though, Ian always has a detached view (as he never goes to games).
Sorry Ian,it was a clear goa(point)lscoring opportunity that I couldn't miss. :wink:

606 posts