Congratulations, you are the new Reading manager

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Congratulations, you are the new Reading manager

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 13:06

NewCorkSeth
tmesis GetReading showed a tweet with this comment

Whoever the manager is that comes in, they’ll be inheriting a midfield with fantastic ball carrying and the ability to break the lines via dribbles. Swift & Ejaria rank in the top 5 for progressive carries p90 this season. Rinomhota excelled in this metric in 18/19

I can't work out if he was taking the piss, or if people really do think that way now.

I see no problems with that tweet.

There's a shock.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Oct 2019 14:18

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
tmesis GetReading showed a tweet with this comment

I can't work out if he was taking the piss, or if people really do think that way now.

I see no problems with that tweet.

There's a shock.

:wink:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 14 Oct 2019 16:00

I would tell the owners from the start that i'm planning for the long term. Don't expect any major success in at least the first couple of seasons. If you're going to sack me if I lose a few games in a row then don't bother hiring me in the first place.

My goal is to slowly build up a team of players who have the right attitude and aptitude. I see Reading as fundamentally a championship club, one that has the potential to battle for promotion, but who's future wouldn't be dependent on staying up. I want people to enjoy watching games again and have some respect for the club and its people.

I would have a specific focus on creating a regime where players aren't just spending their off-time sitting around playing FIFA. Being a Reading player would be a full-time+ job. I would set up pay scales so that all similar types of players are paid the same salary and have a cast-iron rule that no new signing can receive more (or less). I would place a ban in player contracts from having any other paid work (including promotional stuff).

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 15 Oct 2019 09:00

Elm Park Kid I would tell the owners from the start that i'm planning for the long term. Don't expect any major success in at least the first couple of seasons. If you're going to sack me if I lose a few games in a row then don't bother hiring me in the first place.

My goal is to slowly build up a team of players who have the right attitude and aptitude. I see Reading as fundamentally a championship club, one that has the potential to battle for promotion, but who's future wouldn't be dependent on staying up. I want people to enjoy watching games again and have some respect for the club and its people.

I would have a specific focus on creating a regime where players aren't just spending their off-time sitting around playing FIFA. Being a Reading player would be a full-time+ job. I would set up pay scales so that all similar types of players are paid the same salary and have a cast-iron rule that no new signing can receive more (or less). I would place a ban in player contracts from having any other paid work (including promotional stuff).

Interesting approach.

If not results, how should the owners judge you on your first season? How will you be able to demonstrate you're on the right track?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Oct 2019 07:52

Elm Park Kid I would tell the owners from the start that i'm planning for the long term. Don't expect any major success in at least the first couple of seasons. If you're going to sack me if I lose a few games in a row then don't bother hiring me in the first place.

Nice. I would also insist the club buys some pet flying pigs.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Oct 2019 09:25

What formation would you play (a different one for home and away matches perhaps)?
Initially, with the players available I'd be inclined to go 5-3-2 but with two defensive minded midfielders and only one of Swift and Ejaria just to steady the ship and try and keep clean sheets.
Longer term, I'd like to go to 4-4-2 with wingers or maybe.. maybe that's be being naive and the game has moved on since the 106 season, but with the right players it will be exciting.

Which players would you drop and why?
Initially Ejaria or Swift for tactical reasons, then when switching to 4-4-2 one of the central defenders and then mix up the midfield

Are there any of the exiled players you would reinstate or anyone you want to promote from the youth set-up?
I'd re-instate Gunther and McCleary, unless they were a disruptive influence on the team but probably wouldn't look to call anyone back from loan moves.

Have you any transfer targets for the January window (either positions that need strengthening or specific players)?
No, although if we have an option on Ejaria I'd be looking to take that up. If Olivera or Martinez were available again I'd consider taking them on loan/putting a bid in.... all depends on the budget.

Who would you be looking to sell?
Probably Gunther due to overlap with Yiadom

Name your second in command (will they be as angry as Jorge Mendonca?)
Someone who knows what they're doing because I don't...... maybe a Wally Downes/Martin Allen character or if we're sticking to hobnob, someone like Mr Angry who can shout out commands such as "keep your shape" from the touchline

Things you would change about the stadium?
Make the pitch as wide as regulations allow to enable more wing play
Add some nice padded cushions to the home bench

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Oct 2019 10:14

Green

Interesting approach.

If not results, how should the owners judge you on your first season? How will you be able to demonstrate you're on the right track?

I would set out a general plan to the club management at the start of the season and then expect to be evaluated on that basis. That plan would be around developing players over the long-term, improving moral among the squad and representing the club well in public.

At the end of the second season I should be able to demonstrate how the squad can be realistically improved to challenge for play-offs in the third. If we significantly fail in that target I would expect to be fired (unless there were significant mitigating reasons).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Oct 2019 12:24

I'd invite Maffff, LordCKS, RoyalBlue, Strap and anyone else currently having a tantrum at Gomes sacking and Bowen's appointment to training.

Then I'd kill them. Burn them. And Bury the ashes under one of the training pitches.

And we'd all be happier people.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Oct 2019 17:11

Interesting video on youtube/twitter or something where the BT Sport team area interviewing the Brighton Director of football and other things (can't remember his exact title) and they say they have clear aims and style of play set at the top and hire managers who share that same philosophy. The manager is then free to manage the team as they see fit and the academies and scouting networks are all geared up to producing/finding players who fit that philosophy.

I'm not sure we've 100% worked out what our footballing philosophy is yet.... maybe it will fall into place once results improve.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Oct 2019 22:31

Snowflake Royal I'd invite Maffff, LordCKS, RoyalBlue, Strap and anyone else currently having a tantrum at Gomes sacking and Bowen's appointment to training.

Then I'd kill them. Burn them. And Bury the ashes under one of the training pitches.

Erm... :shock:

#pigsinformed

Agree with the pro Bowen (for now) sentiment tho :wink:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Oct 2019 09:14

Snowflake Royal I'd invite Maffff, LordCKS, RoyalBlue, Strap and anyone else currently having a tantrum at Gomes sacking and Bowen's appointment to training.

Wee bit harsh that - I'd just make them undergo the same training as the squad.
They'd be close enough to dead after that anyway!