Footballing philosophy

Linden Jones' Tash

Footballing philosophy

by Linden Jones' Tash » 14 Oct 2019 18:16

Does anyone know what Bowen's footballing principles are?

He used the word 'pragmatic' in one of the (pretty poor actually) interviews on social media, as well as intensity and enthusiasm.

Am I reading too much into this and thinking we will be more direct?

I'd be interested in any thoughts on what the plan might be, playing wise

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Footballing philosophy

by Franchise FC » 14 Oct 2019 18:42

Sounds like ‘if the ball needs to go, it goes’

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Oct 2019 19:31

Safe to say he’s probably pretty similar to Mark Hughes. Think it would be difficult to pin down Hughes’ philosophy - his Blackburn team were counter attackers based around Bellamy, Pedersen and Bentley, but his Stoke team were more about little technical players like Shaqiri and Arnautovic.

So I’d guess he’s not wedded to one particular approach but will try to get the best out of the players we have?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Oct 2019 19:38

SCIAG Safe to say he’s probably pretty similar to Mark Hughes. Think it would be difficult to pin down Hughes’ philosophy - his Blackburn team were counter attackers based around Bellamy, Pedersen and Bentley, but his Stoke team were more about little technical players like Shaqiri and Arnautovic.

So I’d guess he’s not wedded to one particular approach but will try to get the best out of the players we have?

Just being picky but Arnautovic isn't little.
Stoke did however have Bojan who is, but may well have been a Pulis signing.

I was trying to think of full-backs who became successful managers and I don't think there have been many.
Sir Alf Ramsey for one but then we have also seen Gary Neville.:? :?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 14 Oct 2019 20:24

Linden Jones' Tash Does anyone know what Bowen's footballing principles are?

He used the word 'pragmatic' in one of the (pretty poor actually) interviews on social media, as well as intensity and enthusiasm.

Pragmatism, Intensity, Enthusiasm could be the new TSF...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Oct 2019 22:37

Couldn't care less. Let's win matches.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Oct 2019 22:41

Linden Jones' Tash I'd be interested in any thoughts on what the plan might be, playing wise

A higher defensive line would be a good start.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Oct 2019 22:49

WNG

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Oct 2019 22:59

Victor Meldrew
SCIAG Safe to say he’s probably pretty similar to Mark Hughes. Think it would be difficult to pin down Hughes’ philosophy - his Blackburn team were counter attackers based around Bellamy, Pedersen and Bentley, but his Stoke team were more about little technical players like Shaqiri and Arnautovic.

I was trying to think of full-backs who became successful managers and I don't think there have been many.

M-U-R-T-Y

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 23:21

Get the ball forward as quickly as possible but logically, whilst retaining structure and balance throughout the team. Scrap tippy tappy pass round the back nonsense, you can't score doing that. Make sure each pass is played with a purpose and not for the sake of passing

Press and harry the other team whilst they're on the ball, give them no time to even think

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 15 Oct 2019 08:06

URZZZZ Get the ball forward as quickly as possible but logically, whilst retaining structure and balance throughout the team. Scrap tippy tappy pass round the back nonsense, you can't score doing that. Make sure each pass is played with a purpose and not for the sake of passing

Press and harry the other team whilst they're on the ball, give them no time to even think

Thanks, I'd be happy with that.

Some early wins on the board are a must to avoid a self fulfilling negative spiral

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Oct 2019 08:08

Victor Meldrew

Fair enough.

What about Steve Clarke? :wink:

More seriously, didn’t Shankly, Paisley and Fagan all play as full backs or the equivalent?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Oct 2019 08:14

Essentially pragmatic in this sense means he isn't completly wedded to one way of playing - he will set the team out to play a certain style but will tweak it to negate the opposition and expose their weaknesses.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Oct 2019 09:02

Stranded

Essentially pragmatic in this sense means he isn't completly wedded to one way of playing - he will set the team out to play a certain style but will tweak it to negate the opposition and expose their weaknesses.

I see it more as playing nto the strengths of the players, not doing anything fancy they're not 100% comfortable with.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Oct 2019 15:33

SCIAG
Victor Meldrew

Fair enough.

More seriously, didn’t Shankly, Paisley and Fagan all play as full backs or the equivalent?

Not sure about Joe but I think the other two were what is known as half- backs (midfielders).
Going so far back in time seems to have proved my point.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 15 Oct 2019 17:12

Victor Meldrew

Branfoot, Wenger, Graham Taylor, yep I'm struggling now, it's all shouty centre-halves and snidey strikers. Terry Cooper maybe. Frank Clark was always pretty rank.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 19 Oct 2019 18:40

Ok, that was interesting.

No passing out from the back.

Trying to play long and with more urgency.

Actually his BBCRB post match assessment was pretty much what I witnessed, so credit for not BSing what actually happened

Also paraphrased Napoleaon vis Graham Taylor, "better to be a lucky manager than a good manager"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2019 19:10

Yeah I liked what I saw. No pointless arsing about. Still played some nice stuff but it was quick and purposeful

Much better

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Oct 2019 21:38

With less tippy tappy. We played a higher defensive line! :lol:

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 19 Oct 2019 23:11

SCIAG
Victor Meldrew

Fair enough.

Hughton...