BFTG Preston (H)

143 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Preston (H)

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2019 09:42

Hampshire Royal I liked the way Baldock tried up his laces after the goal. He did one very slowly (in their half, of course,) then just as slowly did the second one.

If PNE had done that I would've been annoyed. But it was us, so I was pleased and impressed.

Saw that too, was surprised he wasn’t booked to be honest, was incredibly slow getting back

Those sort of characters are needed I think. Those that can rile up the opposition. It’s no surprise Brighton went up a couple of years ago with Murray, Baldock and Knockaert. Even under McDermott, we had the likes of Roberts and Harte. We’ve been too soft in recent years

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 09:48

Being as Obita set up the goal, looks like he got that call right as well

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 21 Oct 2019 09:57

Adam and Miazga - what's going on?

I saw a comment either on this thread or another but can't find it - be arsed to look - that there was a bit of needle between Adam and Miazga after the goal, and Yids and Brazilian chappy step in to keep the garrulous jock away.... Plain to see on the vid.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Oct 2019 10:18

Hampshire Royal I liked the way Baldock tried up his laces after the goal. He did one very slowly (in their half, of course,) then just as slowly did the second one.

If PNE had done that I would've been annoyed. But it was us, so I was pleased and impressed.

Not so keen on him absolutely slaughtering the poor ball girl for throwing the ball onto the pitch directly after the goal ;-)

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Oct 2019 10:19

2 world wars, 1 world cup 5) Bowen and the result. Ok this is going to be controversial. I know I've been vocal in my defence of Bowen and I feel he'll do well, and I know we are all desperate to think we can see changes but... I didn't see much different. Same sort of performance, same sort of result. Last minute winner. Scrappy game. Some hairy moments. And bizarre substitutions I think... although Baldock really did make an impact surprisingly. Tbh this seemed like a Gomes team a Gomes performance and a Gomes result. I know people will say "oh we won" but truth be told it wasn't convinving although probably not undeserved.

In summary, I would suggest football analysis is not for you.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 10:22

Vision

Not so keen on him absolutely slaughtering the poor ball girl for throwing the ball onto the pitch directly after the goal ;-)

ha did he? didnt see that bit :)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Oct 2019 10:25

Hound
Vision

She threw it on. He bollocked her and booted it straight back off again telling her to hold onto it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Oct 2019 10:27

Hound
Vision

Good. Our ballboys/girls are atrocious. At every other club up and down the country they’re all little annoying pcunts who try and waste time and help their team win. Ours don’t seem to get the memo.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Oct 2019 10:32

CountryRoyal
Hound
Vision

Good. Our ballboys/girls are atrocious. At every other club up and down the country they’re all little annoying pcunts who try and waste time and help their team win. Ours don’t seem to get the memo.

Tallulah and Sebastian are far too middle class and well brought up to cheat.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 10:56

Vision
Hound
Vision

She threw it on. He bollocked her and booted it straight back off again telling her to hold onto it.

cool. Well she'll know for next time. Good learning experience

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 21 Oct 2019 11:29

It was a good win, especially as we made Preston look pretty dreadful. The best bits were when we passed the ball, like Gomez would have wanted, and the worst bits were Bowen's clueless goal kicks where everybody crowded over to the left, so I am agnostic on whether the change of manager has done anything. Having Miazga fit and effective is probably the most important thing - the whole back three were tremendous.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2019 11:37

Jack Celliers It was a good win, especially as we made Preston look pretty dreadful. The best bits were when we passed the ball, like Gomez would have wanted, and the worst bits were Bowen's clueless goal kicks where everybody crowded over to the left, so I am agnostic on whether the change of manager has done anything. Having Miazga fit and effective is probably the most important thing - the whole back three were tremendous.

Be careful what you say.

Even though it's only been one game people want to believe. Shhhh!!

TBF though any significant changes will take some time implement so let's watch this space over the next few weeks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 12:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Jack Celliers It was a good win, especially as we made Preston look pretty dreadful. The best bits were when we passed the ball, like Gomez would have wanted, and the worst bits were Bowen's clueless goal kicks where everybody crowded over to the left, so I am agnostic on whether the change of manager has done anything. Having Miazga fit and effective is probably the most important thing - the whole back three were tremendous.

Be careful what you say.

Even though it's only been one game people want to believe. Shhhh!!

TBF though any significant changes will take some time implement so let's watch this space over the next few weeks.

well of course. He had a week or so, with half the players away. If he'd suddenly decided to go 4-4-2 and play wingers when the whole team have been coached for something different for 3-4 months, it'd been madness.

I like the fact he didn't try to change too much, just some obvious tweaks. Likely much the same for the next few games, and any formation changes etc will be gradually brought in I'd hope.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Oct 2019 12:06

Jack Celliers the worst bits were Bowen's clueless goal kicks where everybody crowded over to the left, so I am agnostic on whether the change of manager has done anything.

Better tactic than tippy tappy at the back which resulted in the team consistantly losing possession in our own half, and inflicting self imposed pressure.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Oct 2019 12:07

Lower West
Jack Celliers the worst bits were Bowen's clueless goal kicks where everybody crowded over to the left, so I am agnostic on whether the change of manager has done anything.

Better tactic than tippy tappy at the back which resulted in the team consistantly losing possession in our own half, and inflicting self imposed pressure.

Bowen bad, Gomes good.

Well done to Bowen for recognising how truly terrible we are at throw ins.

I usually hate long throws but we're so bad at taking them short that we may as well cut out the middle man and just launch them in.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 21 Oct 2019 12:39

Zip I thought it was a poor game. Lots of misplaced passes, constant stoppages in the second half, aimless football from both teams.

Yep, agreed. I have no issue with us being more direct when required say if the opposition are operating the 'High Press', gives them something to think about but I really hope we're not going to be that direct for the remainder of the season. Still, three points, even if it was 'Meat Pie Ugly'.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 13:04

basically if a team does the high press, it wants you to go long.

I don't think we were that direct tbh. We were hardly Warnock's Cardiff

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Oct 2019 13:37

Hound basically if a team does the high press, it wants you to go long.

I don't think we were that direct tbh. We were hardly Warnock's Cardiff

It was quite interesting to see Reading going more direct. I don't think we won many balls in the air from the initial 'hoof' but I seem to remember we collected quite a few second balls. The shift of players to the right of the pitch for the long goal-kicks is almost like the set up for a corner, and the long throws into the box were a real eye-opener.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Oct 2019 13:53

CountryRoyal
Hound
Vision

Something for the manager to take up with the Ball boy/girl's "coach" as they are only doing what they are told.

I remember when multi-ball was a thing and the ball boys/girls were an integral part of our home league form - Neil Warnock even complained that they were throwing the balls back too quickly and his team were unable to catch their breath. I also remember for a crucial game (possibly a play off semi), Pardew as manager bought the academy players in as ball boys/girls for that one game so that they had people who could read the game to give an extra home advantage.

Is the former South Stand Ball boy still on here, you know the one allegedly who threw the ball at Zamora's face causing him to plant a roundhouse kick to his face? (I may have exaggerated this story considerably)... anyway, if he's here, maybe he has some insight into how it was back then.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Oct 2019 14:24

Is Yakou Meite crap? And what is his position?

143 posts