Swift's new role

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Swift's new role

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Nov 2019 18:23

Interesting to see Swift's form this season. Full fitness and confidence is clearly important, but I think he's matured and adapted his role too. If you'd asked most Reading fans a year ago, we'd have said his best role was a "no. 10" behind the striker, trying to make things happen.

But this season, he's running games from a deeper role, filling in for what we lost when Baker's role finished. Ejaria is the one pushing up higher. I think its a maturity thing as well as fitness. Many technical players develop this way. Scholes is a good example who started off his career further forward and matured into a player who could run the game from a deeper role.

Long may it continue. Our midfield seems to have an excellent balance at the moment. My only concern is that we play 3 CMs but only really have 4 of them we'd want in our starting line up. A squad player in January may be a good addition.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Swift's new role

by Hound » 10 Nov 2019 19:06

Really impressed by him this year, he is excellent

And yes, definitely fitter and stronger. And putting himself about more - he is Prem standard on current form

Be interesting to see if any suitors in January if he keeps it up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Nov 2019 19:16

I thought the midfield looked something like

————Rino——
——Ejaria——-Swift

Rather than

———Rino———Swift
——————Ejaria————-

Hence Swift and Ejaria are equally responsible for creating/scoring

I think Swift’s always looked better dropping back and picking the ball up. Problem is, in a 4-2-3-1, he wasn’t quite defensively good enough to be one of the two midfielders and therefore had to play CAM. By playing this formation, but also, and most importantly, getting the balance correct between attack and defence, it’s given Swift more freedom to play his game. When Swift was first banging the goals in when he joined, he was also playing as a LCM then so his good form generally correlates to the team setting up to his strengths

I’m not sure about needing a new CM. A couple of weeks ago, I’d have been more for it, but we’ve seen McCleary able to play as one of the two more attacking midfielders, then there’s the likes of Barrett and Olise too. Even Adam could probably do a job as a 5th choice midfielder

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 19:31

URZZZZ I thought the midfield looked something like

————Rino——
——Ejaria——-Swift

Rather than

———Rino———Swift
——————Ejaria————-

I think Swift’s always looked better dropping back and picking the ball up. Problem is, in a 4-2-3-1, he wasn’t quite defensively good enough to be one of the two midfielders and therefore had to play CAM. By playing this formation, but also, and most importantly, getting the balance correct between attack and defence, it’s given Swift more freedom to play his game. When Swift was first banging the goals in when he joined, he was also playing as a LCM then so his good form generally correlates to the team setting up to his strengths

I’m not sure about needing a new CM. A couple of weeks ago, I’d have been more for it, but we’ve seen McCleary able to play as one of the two more attacking midfielders, then there’s the likes of Barrett and Olise too. Even Adam could probably do a job as a 5th choice midfielder

Seems like the latter to me. However Swift is free to roam so it ends up looking like:
Rinomhota
----Swift
----Ejaira

Hence the confusion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2019 20:55

Really don’t think we need any more new players tbh - plenty in reserve

Obvs changes if we sell someone decent

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2019 21:24

He's not the same player as the one I've seen the past two seasons.

Fitter, stronger, more direct, as showboaty as before, but with much more purpose. Not trying to play his way out of quite such tight holes or in such dangerous areas. Tracking, tackling, intercepting. Set pieces more reliable. And he's creating way more goals.

I welcome our body snatching overlords.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 21:25

Still only 24 lads. Plenty left in the tank.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Nov 2019 22:37

NewCorkSeth

————Rino——
——Ejaria——-Swift

Rather than

———Rino———Swift
——————Ejaria————-

Seems like the latter to me. However Swift is free to roam so it ends up looking like:
Rinomhota
----Swift
----Ejaira

Hence the confusion.

Yeah, probably is, I can never tell. For some reason, I’m not sure if this is just me, but all the midfielders generally seem to drift over to the left more than the right during the game. A lot of our chances seem to come from the left hand side. Or is this just me?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 22:39

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

————Rino——
——Ejaria——-Swift

Rather than

———Rino———Swift
——————Ejaria————-

Rinomhota
----Swift
----Ejaira

Hence the confusion.

Yeah, probably is, I can never tell. For some reason, I’m not sure if this is just me, but all the midfielders generally seem to drift over to the left more than the right during the game. A lot of our chances seem to come from the left hand side. Or is this just me?

Havent seen a heat map but Swift seems to both spend a lot of time on the left and play better when on the left hand side. Not sure for Ejaria. Rinomhota seems to play fairly centrally but his charging runs are almost always on the right.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Nov 2019 23:01

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Seems like the latter to me. However Swift is free to roam so it ends up looking like:
Rinomhota
----Swift
----Ejaira

Hence the confusion.

Havent seen a heat map but Swift seems to both spend a lot of time on the left and play better when on the left hand side. Not sure for Ejaria. Rinomhota seems to play fairly centrally but his charging runs are almost always on the right.

Yeah that’s generally how I see it with Ejaria also drifting out to the left. Both Swift and Ejaria have a decent shot on them so I presume they do that to cut in and have a go. I don’t know why Ejaria doesn’t shoot more personally, he gets the majority of his shots on target, yet he seems to prefer faffing around with it at times

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Nov 2019 23:10

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Yeah that’s generally how I see it with Ejaria also drifting out to the left. Both Swift and Ejaria have a decent shot on them so I presume they do that to cut in and have a go. I don’t know why Ejaria doesn’t shoot more personally, he gets the majority of his shots on target, yet he seems to prefer faffing around with it at times

you know the way the ball seems to stick to his feet, when oppo players are trying to get it off him? Sometimes it seems like it sticks to his feet when he wants to shoot too, and he just can't set it up right for what he wants to do!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Nov 2019 23:31

muirinho
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Havent seen a heat map but Swift seems to both spend a lot of time on the left and play better when on the left hand side. Not sure for Ejaria. Rinomhota seems to play fairly centrally but his charging runs are almost always on the right.

you know the way the ball seems to stick to his feet, when oppo players are trying to get it off him? Sometimes it seems like it sticks to his feet when he wants to shoot too, and he just can't set it up right for what he wants to do!

Not sure if said in jest but I genuinely think this is true. Damn magnetic feet.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2019 17:30

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
URZZZZ

Not sure if said in jest but I genuinely think this is true. Damn magnetic feet.

He should be involved with the u21s but never seems to be called up so I presume England must be terrifically well off for players in his role.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Nov 2019 19:07

Sutekh
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

He should be involved with the u21s but never seems to be called up so I presume England must be terrifically well off for players in his role.

He plays in the same position as Phil Foden and Joe Willock, so safe to say you’re right.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Nov 2019 20:19

SCIAG
Sutekh
NewCorkSeth Not sure if said in jest but I genuinely think this is true. Damn magnetic feet.

He plays in the same position as Phil Foden and Joe Willock, so safe to say you’re right.

Joe Willock is some player. Which one of the Willocks did we have in our academy?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2019 23:13

NewCorkSeth
SCIAG
Sutekh

Joe Willock is some player. Which one of the Willocks did we have in our academy?

We had a Matty Willock on trial with us if that's what you mean?

Really don't see it with Joe Willock, I don't know what he's supposed to be good at. Obviously, time is on his hands and I admit to watching a small sample of games with Willock playing but he always looks out of depth whenever he's in the first team. Whereas I think Foden has bundles of talent and I'm surprised Pep isn't giving him more of a look in

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Nov 2019 09:02

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
SCIAG He plays in the same position as Phil Foden and Joe Willock, so safe to say you’re right.

We had a Matty Willock on trial with us if that's what you mean?

Really don't see it with Joe Willock, I don't know what he's supposed to be good at. Obviously, time is on his hands and I admit to watching a small sample of games with Willock playing but he always looks out of depth whenever he's in the first team. Whereas I think Foden has bundles of talent and I'm surprised Pep isn't giving him more of a look in

Oh. Is that it? Had that wrong in my head then.
On the Joe thing hes good at football.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Nov 2019 14:17

Willock's very good at keeping the ball moving quickly, passing with purpose, shielding the ball, reading the game, and winning the ball high up the pitch.

I think he could probably do with adding a little bit more in the final third. Hopefully that goal against Liverpool is a sign of things to come.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 13:05

Good to see Swift is back on top of the pile for the Whoscored.com average rating in the Championship

1. John Swift - 7.47
2. Steven Fletcher - 7.46
3. Eberechi Eze - 7.45
4. Andre Ayew - 7.40
5. Jarrod Bowen - 7.39

5th placed for the number of assists this season. Top for key passes.

(Ejaria top for dribbles per game :lol: , Yiadom 8th)

And Puscas 6th on the unsuccessful touches list. :lol:

Morrison and Moore in the top 10 (2nd and 9th) for most blocks per game as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 13:10

Looked at that the other day. Really didn’t expect to see Fletcher amongst the list but fair play, has good stats

Others all fairly predictable