If Reading didn’t exist

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: If Reading didn’t exist

by John Smith » 20 Nov 2019 14:53

Old Man Andrews
Hendo I know that the OP said Championship but for me, I think it would have to be Lincoln due to me having gone to uni there. Or maybe Wycombe.

Wycombe would be my go to team for sure. It is hard not to support a team managed by the fantastic Gareth Ainsworth.

That's true.

Coventry City would probably be mine if it were a life or death choice.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Nov 2019 16:05

Stranded Surely the answer is, if your home town doesn't have a club you will either support the club your Dad (or Grandad) did or whoever was the biggest club at the time - as that is what kids do.

So I'd probably be a rugby fan with no interest in football whatsoever beyond a passing interest in the World Cup.

My great fear is that if I have children where I currently live, their local team will be L*eds. If getting to the Madejski frequently proved impossible, I'd probably take them along to Bradford or Huddersfield to ensure they don't grow up to support the scum. Or York if they can get back into the EFL.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Nov 2019 16:07

Huddersfield another ok team actually

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Nov 2019 16:20

linkenholtroyal If Reading didn’t exist and you had to support another club in the championship who would it be.....
If Reading ceased to exist I wouldn't have any interest in the Championship and certainly wouldn't support another team.

I'd probably start supporting Maidenhead United as I feel more of an affinity to them than Reading Town and maybe start watching Match of the Day again (stopped after Reading were relegated out of the Prem)

If Reading had never existied, I wouldn't have any real interest in club football.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Nov 2019 16:44

If I had my time again, I'd probably be looking at non-league outfits.

Round my way I'd be looking at your Dulwich Hamlets, Fishers, and your Welling Uniteds.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Nov 2019 16:49

John Smith
linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews Nice of you to make a late run for "Worst Thread of 2019".

Bored thought it would be interesting. And meh if it is. In regards to the thread I reckon you would be a Leeds fan as well suites your personality. Both think you are much better than you are and your best years are well behind you.

Should have known better linkenholtroyal. If you are able to consider this question then you are not a supporter of the club.

I actually became a Reading supporter by chance. As with every kid who grew up in the 90s I thought I was a Man Utd supporter. Went to my first royals game with a friend when I was 12 and been hooked ever since. Nobody in my family is really into football my uncle is a Chelsea fan and my grandad grew up in Warrington and supported Liverpool. To be honest I know I said championship side but if I didn’t go to watch Reading I would probably go support Hungerford Town. I have been a couple of times to see them.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Nov 2019 17:24

Oxford :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Only other town I've lived in.

Or I could fall back on my PL team Liverpool since I was 5, but tbf I've never even been there. My only connection is there was a scouser girl who fancied me who was quite nice. I declined her on the basis that she has very bad taste and must be blind.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 17:37

2 world wars, 1 world cup Oxford :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Only other town I've lived in.

Or I could fall back on my PL team Liverpool since I was 5, but tbf I've never even been there. My only connection is there was a scouser girl who fancied me who was quite nice. I declined her on the basis that she has very bad taste and must be blind.

Like any Liverpool "fan" then :wink:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Nov 2019 19:14

Some harmless northern club - Preston? Well run, pretty decent fans on the whole...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Nov 2019 22:40

I know I’m going to get shit for this. As much as we all hate on them and they’re pcunts; Leeds.

It must be nice selling out every away game and even if you don’t win you still have an absolute laugh.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Nov 2019 23:09

CountryRoyal I know I’m going to get shit for this. As much as we all hate on them and they’re pcunts; Leeds.

It must be nice selling out every away game and even if you don’t win you still have an absolute laugh.

Cnutyballs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Nov 2019 03:35

Not Championship and distance would be an issue, but I've a real soft spot for Doncaster. And their fans are great.

+1 to the Baggie love. Maybe Charlton. Brentford are a good shout but they're just a bit meh somehow.

JR

by JR » 21 Nov 2019 05:19

I would be a Leicester fan.

Returned from uni in early 2000's and Reading became my main team.

Can't complain as has been a great two decades to be a Reading fan, but would have been something else if I'd stuck to Leicester....

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 21 Nov 2019 10:36

Wycombe Wanderers

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Nov 2019 11:08

Genuinely no interest in any other Championship team or a "soft spot" for anyone. If this thread was more around teams you despise.... then attention would turn to Derby County and Leeds United.

If Reading FC were to disapear i would turn my attention to the non league scene and would follow Eastleigh or Newport IOW.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Nov 2019 11:34

Blackbag Wycombe Wanderers

Because of the excellent Gareth Ainsworth?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 21 Nov 2019 12:03

I liked the QPR of Rodney March and Stan Bowles and I imagined QPR as a successful Reading (we were Div 3/4 then) in an alternative universe - the R's, blue and white hoops, Uxbridge Rd = Oxford Rd, Springbok = Spread Eagle, Shep Bush tube = Reading West, Ellerslie Rd =Norfolk Rd, the old open School End = Tilehurst End.

In the mid 70s / early 80s I must have watched 15+ QPR home games. And I just didn't take to them in the flesh at all. I dunno why - maybe there were plenty of bitter and twisted up themselves arses on the terrace but no different from the fans at most London clubs.

So my answer to the original post is also Brentford (somehow more like Reading in atmosphere) and West Brom (decent, authentic club). And if they'd not gone up, Sheff United - old school working class vibe.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 21 Nov 2019 14:55

Was forced into supporting Reading by my Dad.

Would take up supporting the mighty Stockport County as they make their way back to the football league.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Nov 2019 15:09

Stockport Royal Was forced into supporting Reading by my Dad.

Would take up supporting the mighty Stockport County as they make their way back to the football league.

He is/was a wise man.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Nov 2019 15:36

Charlton.