Reading FC team of the decade

125 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Reading FC team of the decade

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Nov 2019 20:13

Great to see someone put Vydra in their worst team. The bloke was utter dog shite.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Nov 2019 21:01

Best:

Al Habsi

S. Kelly
Pearce
Gorkss
Obita

Leigertwood
Norwood

Kebe
Sigurdsson
McAnuff

Long

Subs: Federici, Moore, Gunter, Karacan, Swift, McCleary, Le Fondre (although Kermorgant would start if Long was unavailable)

Worst:

Virginia, Cummings under Rodgers, Khumalo, Gorkss after promotion, Marcus Williams; Mullins, Akpan; Popa, Edwards, Aluko; Martin

Would have liked to see more of:

McCarthy; S. Kelly, Connolly, Oxford, Bridge; Baker, Carrico, Tshibola; Harriott, Murray, Beerens

Resisted the temptation to stuff academy players who made five appearances in there. Probably a better option than Oxford too. And Harriott and McCarthy don't really fit with the others.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2019 22:24

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Al-Habsi/Martinez
Yiadom/Griffen
Gorkks/Moore
Pearce/Morrison
Harte/Obita
Williams/Swift
Siggy/Leighertwood
Kebe/McCleary
McAnuff/???
Long/Alfie
Roberts/Kermorgant

Those are my bets for the best 2 in each position. Have we really had only 1 truly impactful Left Winger??

Since 2010, we’ve had McAnuff, Robson Kanu, Drenthe, Piazon, John, Beerens, Harriott and Barrow as left wingers, so you’ve got to choose out that lot basically

Otherwise known as yes

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Nov 2019 00:44

SCIAG Best:

Al Habsi

S. Kelly
Pearce
Gorkss
Obita

Leigertwood
Norwood

Kebe
Sigurdsson
McAnuff

Long

Subs: Federici, Moore, Gunter, Karacan, Swift, McCleary, Le Fondre (although Kermorgant would start if Long was unavailable)

Worst:

Virginia, Cummings under Rodgers, Khumalo, Gorkss after promotion, Marcus Williams; Mullins, Akpan; Popa, Edwards, Aluko; Martin

Would have liked to see more of:

McCarthy; S. Kelly, Connolly, Oxford, Bridge; Baker, Carrico, Tshibola; Harriott, Murray, Beerens

Resisted the temptation to stuff academy players who made five appearances in there. Probably a better option than Oxford too. And Harriott and McCarthy don't really fit with the others.

I think that's quite harsh on Edwards, he was one of our better players that season until Christmas time where he then flopped. Don't really remember Mullins but I seem to recall him starting at Brighton and Southampton away in the promotions season

Good shout on your last team, would replace Harriott with Hurtado, and Oxford with Mariappa. Always wanted to see more of Baird too but not quite sure where he'd fit in

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Nov 2019 09:10

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Al-Habsi/Martinez
Yiadom/Griffen
Gorkks/Moore
Pearce/Morrison
Harte/Obita
Williams/Swift
Siggy/Leighertwood
Kebe/McCleary
McAnuff/???
Long/Alfie
Roberts/Kermorgant

Those are my bets for the best 2 in each position. Have we really had only 1 truly impactful Left Winger??

Since 2010, we’ve had McAnuff, Robson Kanu, Drenthe, Piazon, John, Beerens, Harriott and Barrow as left wingers, so you’ve got to choose out that lot basically

Otherwise known as yes

Obita would be the only other one, although he went back to LB pretty quickly, which is his better position IMO.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Nov 2019 09:14

To be clear, talking about Ryan Edwards rather than Dave. I initially had Jake Taylor down for that spot but remembered him doing better than Edwards when they were both in the side. Other option was Cywka but he barely played at all.

Baird is a great shout. Also Ezatolahi, Alex Fernandez. Think I’d have Baird fill in at right back but there’s too much competition for midfield spaces for Eza or Alex.

Can’t believe I forgot Anton Ferdinand. Have him alongside Connolly. Possibly the most talented defender we’ve had, but permanently injured.

Forgot Zat Knight who has to be a contender for the worst team. I excluded Tommy Elphicke for playing too few matches but not sure Knight actually played more.

Would have liked to see more of Hurtado but also got the impression he was just total pony.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 01:14

SCIAG To be clear, talking about Ryan Edwards rather than Dave. I initially had Jake Taylor down for that spot but remembered him doing better than Edwards when they were both in the side. Other option was Cywka but he barely played at all.

Baird is a great shout. Also Ezatolahi, Alex Fernandez. Think I’d have Baird fill in at right back but there’s too much competition for midfield spaces for Eza or Alex.

Can’t believe I forgot Anton Ferdinand. Have him alongside Connolly. Possibly the most talented defender we’ve had, but permanently injured.

Forgot Zat Knight who has to be a contender for the worst team. I excluded Tommy Elphicke for playing too few matches but not sure Knight actually played more.

Would have liked to see more of Hurtado but also got the impression he was just total pony.

Ah, I'd forgotten that Ryan Edwards existed to be fair. Coincidentally I did think of Cywka too but I think it was more of a case of the mehs with him rather than being bad. Same with J Taylor

Also agree with Alex Fernandez, always surprised he didn't feature more actually considering Quinn and Tshibola were perma crocks, Williams was his inconsistent self and Norwood didn't suit McDermott's style too much. I remember him coming on one game (I think it was Huddersfield when we drew 2-2) and he played very well but we didn't see him again much after that

Agree with Ferdinand, but don't particularly remember Connolly too much. IIRC Knight only started two games for us, at Watford where we were thumped 4-1 and Blackpool where he gave away a penalty. Not sure 2 games is enough to include though, otherwise you could argue the case for Keown who was a disaster when he played

Other names I've thought of are Yakubu who could possibly fit in worst XI, Sharp who although was poor in his brief spell, could have maybe started scoring if played regularly and Rowan Liburd but not sure he played enough

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 01:16

sandman Best:

Al Habsi

Griffin
Gorkss
Pearce
Harte

Kebe
Sigurdsson
Leigertwood
Mcanuff

Long
Kermorgant

Worst:

McCarthy

Kelly
Khumalo
Knight
Williams

Antonio
Meyler
Mutch
Aluko

Vydra
Martin

Only joking, Ian.

Stuart Taylor for worst keeper.

Is that Julian Kelly or Stephen?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Nov 2019 07:23

URZZZZ
sandman Best:

Al Habsi

Griffin
Gorkss
Pearce
Harte

Kebe
Sigurdsson
Leigertwood
Mcanuff

Long
Kermorgant

Worst:

McCarthy

Kelly
Khumalo
Knight
Williams

Antonio
Meyler
Mutch
Aluko

Vydra
Martin

Only joking, Ian.

Stuart Taylor for worst keeper.

Is that Julian Kelly or Stephen?

Forgot about Julian, so it was Stephen. Didn't think Stephen was actually that bad but we have been quite well stocked for right back, even beyond this decade, and Stephen was probably the one who made the least impact. But now you mention Julian, it probably should be him instead.

As much as I'd like to put my old mate Gunts in there, on longevity I couldn't do it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2019 08:20

I assumed it was Julian Kelly. Stephen Kelly was a decent player shoved out on the left for far too many games.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Nov 2019 08:28

Julian Kelly only made one appearance for us this decade, in a league cup match against Northampton.

We have been quite well stocked for right backs. Despite his redemption I think Cummings is the obvious choice, crap when we first signed him and then woefully out of depth after we got promoted. Compare him with Rosenior, Griffin, Gunter, Kelly and Yiadom and he’s the least impressive.

Other options who spring to mind are Andrew Taylor, Tennai Watson, and Niall Keown. Connolly and Mullins also both played there a bit.

Think my solution is to stick Mullins at right back and bring Meyler into the midfield, not least because Meyler was worse than Mullins and I shouldn’t have overlooked him in the first place.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Nov 2019 10:46

SCIAG Julian Kelly only made one appearance for us this decade, in a league cup match against Northampton.

We have been quite well stocked for right backs. Despite his redemption I think Cummings is the obvious choice, crap when we first signed him and then woefully out of depth after we got promoted. Compare him with Rosenior, Griffin, Gunter, Kelly and Yiadom and he’s the least impressive.

Other options who spring to mind are Andrew Taylor, Tennai Watson, and Niall Keown. Connolly and Mullins also both played there a bit.

Think my solution is to stick Mullins at right back and bring Meyler into the midfield, not least because Meyler was worse than Mullins and I shouldn’t have overlooked him in the first place.

To consider Hayden Mullins in our worst team ever shows you either know absolutely zero about football or weren't at St Mary's on that famous Friday night. He was signed in January as a squad player to get us over the line and whilst not remarkable, certainly played enough of a part in that game to warrant a medal that season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Nov 2019 13:44

My apologies if I've missed it, but shirley Jason Roberts should be considered for the best.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Nov 2019 13:58

have revised my off the top of my head team:

al habsi

harte
gorkss
pearce
griffin

kebe
sigurdsson
liegertwood
mcanuff

kermorgant
long

subs
martinez
karacan
le fondre
swift
bertrand
kishnashvilli

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 29 Nov 2019 14:02

URZZZZ
stealthpapes
URZZZZ
Drenthe had the odd good game and had talent, we’ve certainly had worse than him

Manset was terrible let’s be honest, but his backheel against Bristol and double against Millwall might make it slightly harsh

Manset was bought above his talent level, had a decent stab at 2nd tier but lacked fitness and finesse. Can't fault him for trying.

Other contenders, while I'm here: Denzell Gravenberch

Didn’t you just say Appiah and Popa were harsh considering they didn’t play much? Surely Gravenberch played less than these two?

That’s what I found hardest, I wanted to make sure people had at least 3/4 appearances otherwise Travner/Knight would have been there etc

yeah, that's fair but I like the fact we bought someone built a RL forward and were shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you - that he wasn't much cop.

The later call of Yakubu ain't bad but his one goal moves him out of the genuine shitlist

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 16:54

Franchise FC My apologies if I've missed it, but shirley Jason Roberts should be considered for the best.

Roberts tarnished his reputation for us in the Prem because he was utterly hopeless once we’d gone up. A very good player in the Champ but really poor in the Prem and his lack of jumping for the ball and instead just giving away free kicks every time the ball went near him in the air was infuriating

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2019 17:20

URZZZZ
Franchise FC My apologies if I've missed it, but shirley Jason Roberts should be considered for the best.

Roberts tarnished his reputation for us in the Prem because he was utterly hopeless once we’d gone up. A very good player in the Champ but really poor in the Prem and his lack of jumping for the ball and instead just giving away free kicks every time the ball went near him in the air was infuriating

I think that’s pretty harsh on Roberts. Him joining in January pretty much was the catalyst to us getting promoted. Anyone expecting him to be the same player in the Premiership was kidding themselves.

For his performance in The Championship and for the part he played in getting us promoted, he should definitely be considered in team of the decade.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 17:43

Hendo
URZZZZ

I think that’s pretty harsh on Roberts. Him joining in January pretty much was the catalyst to us getting promoted. Anyone expecting him to be the same player in the Premiership was kidding themselves.

For his performance in The Championship and for the part he played in getting us promoted, he should definitely be considered in team of the decade.

I think he should be considered, certainly, but I’m just putting forward why I don’t think he would make it into team of the decade. Like you say, he was the catalyst for our promotion but I’m not sure someone who scored 6 goals in a blue and white shirt is team of the decade worthy

I don’t think it helped either that he spent 18 months under contract with us having played zero minutes of football because of his long term injury. Not necessarily his fault but it was a waste of wages

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Nov 2019 19:26

Damn I forgot about Bertrand in my best 11. Fantastic player.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Nov 2019 22:36

Roberts would be competing with NHunt for the fourth spot in my squad. Long and Kermorgant have obviously been better and Le Fondre’s threat from the bench was immense.

All of them disadvantaged because Sigurdsson means we can only use one striker. Unless we play some sort of 3-4-1-2... but presumably that’s Kebe and McAnuff at wing back and all our full backs either excluded or pushed to centre back.

Al-Habsi; Pearce, Moore, Harte; Kebe, Leigertwood, Norwood, McAnuff; Sigurdsson; Long, Kermorgant

Subs: McCarthy, Gorkss, Karacan, Tshibola, McCleary, Swift, Le Fondre

OK that’s pretty great.

125 posts